Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BPAP Titration Sleep Study
RE: BPAP Titration Sleep Study
(12-31-2017, 12:04 AM)HalfAsleep Wrote:
(12-30-2017, 11:13 PM)ajack Wrote: If I was HalfAsleep I would set the autoset using min12 epr3 max15 The results could be used to show the doctor, if they aren't good. HalfAsleep want's to press the issue, if the sleepyhead charts are still poor. Perhaps if he orders a resmed o2 sensor for a week, to get detailed data?

Ajack..... although my settings are 8/15 with EPR of 3, most of the night, per SleepyHead, I'm settled in to same as your recommended 12/15 epr3. That's just the way it works out. I float around between 13 and 15 ipap quite steadily most of the night.

I can't exhale at 9 when I first go to sleep. And ramp climbs relentlessly; I need the auto.

Will it make a difference if I go 12/15 epr 3 instead of easing up to it the way I do now?

sorry I missed this post before..Ok, use resscan to do a report, showing you are around the 12/3 and failing because of apnea. they can ignore the lower initial pressure (they won't accept sleepyhead) 

That and the AHI:17 for the 4:45 hours from the sleep test should mean something.

I was using 15-20 on apap, you do get use to it. increase the pressure 0.5cm every day.

resscan needs setting up to reduce the Y-axis, so you can see the chart data. sing out if you have trouble.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Right, Ajack. There were no evidentiary grounds for recommending 12/8; potentially it could increase the AHI rather than decrease it. In fact, I had already rejected 12/8 because I can’t exhale at 8 when I first go to bed.

I do have more bits to the study. I’m beginning to make my way around them as you and SleepRider request more detail. I think maybe tomorrow morning I’ll re-shoot it all in sensible sections and then put the whole thing via Imgur into one post.

—- —

How in the world could I have got 3x my SleepyHead AHI during that study?

How in the world does this result let me “pass BPAP”? I can’t wrap my head around it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sur half asleep can use resscan as she is a Mac user unless she has access to a pc to run it on Sad maybe someone will need to get her data and produce the graphs for her ?

Jason
Post Reply Post Reply
In the doc's summary report, she says: "The technologist did not raise the BIPAP pressure too much because it sounded like you were having some problems tolerating it."

I think you should be retested, clearly they've dropped the ball.

Also, escalate looking for another doctor/facility.
Post Reply Post Reply
I really don't see how continuing with this sleep center serves any purpose. They are clearly incapable of conducting a structured sleep test, let alone comprehend the results and translate that into a prescription. Why would you pay them for more of the same?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
While I’m pondering whether I really want to spend time Imgur-ing up my whole sleep study (the crucial pieces are likely here already)....

Whadda y’all think about me making no objections to the incompetence of the sleep lab and simply accepting a BPAP? The doc is willing to prescribe one (although for no evidentiary reason)....
Post Reply Post Reply
If that's a choice open to you, I'd consider doing it to salvage a bad situation. Probably better this than no progress. Just to balance the answer, don't do it just to do something, but if you believe it's the right answer/action, then go for it.

Dave
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A BPAP will help you to resolve some things CPAP cannot, particularly flow limits and obstructive hypopnea, and should make it possible to exhale, even when higher IPAP pressure is used. It will not do anything for centrals or to break those long apnea events. How much of this is out of your pocket? I know you're on Medicare, but don't know how this impacts you. The bottom line has been you will need to change doctors because this one refuses to diagnose a condition that would qualify you to use BPAP with a backup rate. As long as you have so many central apnea, and your doctor is in denial mode, you have no other avenue.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepRider....Are you thinking (as I'm beginning to) that all those hypopneas are central in origin and that's why they aren't disappearing with OSA treatment?

-----------------

Also, I would have $0 out-of-pocket cost for a BPAP since this doc has (staggeringly) prescribed treatment with cause.

What I would not be able to do is to buy and supply any machine out-of-pocket, so just buying an ASV is not an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
No way to know from where I sit, but if pressure support from BPAP doesn't improve them, or if they convert to CA we may find out.

Your doctor acknowledges you had central events, and dismissed them as "transitional apnea which are normal". He calls them pauses in breathing, but your results show the mean time of these "transitions" is 30 seconds. His conclusions also don't consider that if you are having so many transitions between wake and sleep, your sleep efficiency is crap. We call these transitional central apnea "Sleep Wake Junk" and your results don't look like SWJ that I have ever seen. I just get the feeling your doctor had his mind made up before he ever saw the study, then interpreted the study to reinforce his predispositions.

[Image: pBA66Ra.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 15 1,139 04-17-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 168 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,385 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 153 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 367 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 111 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Do I not need a CPAP anymore? In-Lab Study Results brehski 6 215 04-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.