Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BPAP Titration Sleep Study
RE: BPAP Titration Sleep Study
I had forgotten the suggested pressures, and how no pressure or pressure support scheme provided any efficacy. Carry on, you're on the right path.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you ready for this?

I was at the point in this thread adventure where I had a BiPAP titration study which produced numbers (AHI 18) EXACTLY like the diagnostic (no machine) study (AHI 18). Nothing happened. BiPAP was a null experiment.

The Sleep doc kept insisting the BiPAP worked. She even prescribed a BiPAP, ordered it, and proclaimed which settings were required, even though I was never titrated at those settings. Per her, most events in the sleep study were obstructive and minor. I might have a few centrals but those were with arousals or stage shifts (I go through 120 of these a night), so they weren't important.

Even with the BiPAP, I had my signature ultra-long (sometimes 88 seconds) events.

The doc wouldn't be convinced of anything I said. I tried 5 email exchanges. She was in denial about my comments. She dug in.

Hold onto your hat while the wind blows in the exact opposite direction....

I went to see my brand new PCP. At first glance over the sleep study summaries, he agreed that something must be very off (in addition to the fact that I did the diagnostic study in two different beds.).

The PCP called the Sleep Doc. He bought her argument and her position about the data.

Ready? She went along with everything I argued as though it was all her idea!  Dielaughing She even drew the obvious conclusion!

Upshot? All my untreated events are centrals, she now says...CPAP/BiPAP can't do anything for them. I'm to get a second opinion about treatment from the opposite end of the state.....

Seriously.

SCORE!

Banana Banana Banana
Post Reply Post Reply
Did someone drink some spiked Kool-aid? Or what happened?

getting the Eat-popcorn and Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With that cup of coffee, SarcasticDave, albeit soaked up with popcorn, you'll be up all night.   Bouncy  

I have no idea what happened, although my last email to the Sleep Doc—well within the bounds of decorum—mentioned something about how the BiPAP titration study was a null experiment: 4th grade science. That was the entire email. 3 lines.

This has been 2 months of my presenting my same old, same old bullet points with every ounce of savvy (helped along by this board), circumspection, introspection, perspicacity, and fortitude, all which genius she now owns as hers.... Such is the wont of the humiliated.

Nighty night!
Post Reply Post Reply
Funny what a little exposure to the light of day can do.

I wonder what her motivation was for the stance she'd originally taken. What I find repugnant is the inability (or unwillingness) to even look at the data/situation without bias until another medical professional was brought into the picture.
Post Reply Post Reply
No other conclusion was defensible, and when faced with questions from a peer, she had to produce correct statements based on the facts presented. I think this is just disrespect for you as a patient, and CYA amongst her peers. Of course you have the contradictory documentation. That's just wild. I hope you are finally on your way to a therapy based on a real assessment of your needs.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2018, 01:29 AM)kiwii Wrote: ...What I find repugnant is the inability (or unwillingness) to even look at the data/situation without bias until another medical professional was brought into the picture.
I agree, that is stunning! 

Half Asleep: What is your next step?  Will you be getting another titration?  ASV titration??
Post Reply Post Reply
Gosh only knows.... I forgot ‘til you mentioned it that I’d likely need a titration. Too bad someone can’t just write the script for a machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2018, 01:58 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: Gosh only knows.... I forgot ‘til you mentioned it that I’d likely need a titration. Too bad someone can’t just write the script for a machine.
That is too bad!  It's also too bad you can't just walk into Fry's and buy one at something more like market-value!
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a slim chance you could obtain a script for ASV and self-titration if you were following a standard protocol  You certainly can demonstrate the knowledge to do this, and have done your time at titration trials.  Really the only reason to do a titration is to make some doctor look smarter than a smart machine.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4210]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 231 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 119 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 145 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 64 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.