Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BUG REPORTS for new forum software [Thread Now Closed]
RE: BUG REPORTS for new forum software
(01-24-2017, 12:39 AM)Galactus Wrote: Hi SS, You know how there used to be an undo in the form of a left arrow, and a redo in the form of a right arrow when you clicked on reply? Now it starts with B I U. I just wondered what happened to the undo.  My Ctrl key has decided to stick these days so when I do a copy every now and again all I get is "c", normally I can just undo without losing anything but now I can't. I'll be replacing the keyboard of course, but that undo was nice to have. Maybe that explains it better?

I've looked at the old forum (I have the exact copy of it on my PC) and I can't find any "undo" or "redo" options at all anywhere on the forum text editors.  No arrows or anything... the text editor starts exactly like this one does with B for bold, I for italics and U for underline.  No arrows at all, here on the new forum or the old one that I can see.

Are you sure you saw that on Apnea Board or another forum perhaps?  Or maybe you have a browser plugin that added that functionality for you?   Thinking-about

Does anyone else remember having that type of functionality with the old forum software?
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

(01-24-2017, 03:10 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(01-24-2017, 12:39 AM)Galactus Wrote: Hi SS, You know how there used to be an undo in the form of a left arrow, and a redo in the form of a right arrow when you clicked on reply? Now it starts with B I U. I just wondered what happened to the undo.  My Ctrl key has decided to stick these days so when I do a copy every now and again all I get is "c", normally I can just undo without losing anything but now I can't. I'll be replacing the keyboard of course, but that undo was nice to have. Maybe that explains it better?

I've looked at the old forum (I have the exact copy of it on my PC) and I can't find any "undo" or "redo" options at all anywhere on the forum text editors.  No arrows or anything... the text editor starts exactly like this one does with B for bold, I for italics and U for underline.  No arrows at all, here on the new forum or the old one that I can see.

Are you sure you saw that on Apnea Board or another forum perhaps?  Or maybe you have a browser plugin that added that functionality for you?   Thinking-about

Does anyone else remember having that type of functionality with the old forum software?

I have thought long and hard on this, and it is certainly possible it is a different forum. I trust you and if you've looked and see no undo, than I believe you. I could swear it was here, but I'm only human, it's possible I'm wrong. Sorry if I made you search for teh snipe.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
(01-23-2017, 11:58 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: A study several years back found that a sheriff style font is easier for the human eye to read. A sans sheriff font had a better overall eye appeal for layout and presentation. This knowledge and a couple of dollars will get you a cup of coffee.

This is true for paper, but for computer monitors it is the other way around.  Serif fonts should only be used for things like headlines, titles, and so on.  For text in paragraphs a sans-serif font is much more readable.

This is because computer monitors, even the best, have much lower dot density than even cheap newspaper.  Also, paper works by reflection, computer screens by transmitted light.
Serif fonts on computer monitors tend to "sparkle" and confuse the eye.

The Web is NOT paper.  It is it's own medium with it's own best practices. 

Your base font family should be simply "sans-serif"  Your base text size should be 1em (or 2 ex).  It is beneficial to set line height to around 120% to show a little more white space to help the eye.  Set font family for headers (H1,H2,H3,H4,H5,H6) to "serif".

Don't use pixel measurements for sizing, except for graphic images. Size everything else in em's ex's or percents.

Set the default text colour to black: "#000000;"

If the user prefers different fonts this will allow him to change them in their own browser.  The web is NOT paper.  Let the user select his or her own preferences.

I have spoken. Rolleyes
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

(01-24-2017, 09:34 PM)Galactus Wrote: I have thought long and hard on this, and it is certainly possible it is a different forum. I trust you and if you've looked and see no undo, than I believe you. I could swear it was here, but I'm only human, it's possible I'm wrong. Sorry if I made you search for teh snipe.

Howdy Galactus,

I'm not saying it wasn't there... I'm just saying that I can't find it now.  Stranger things have happened, so you could be right, which is why I'm asking if others saw that as well.

It would actually be a good function to have, I would think.  I believe there's a plugin out there for our software that gives an "enhanced" text editor with a lot more tools, one of which is an "undo" and "redo" button.  We may take a look at that after things calm down with the basic software debugging.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

(01-24-2017, 10:13 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: If the user prefers different fonts this will allow him to change them in their own browser.  The web is NOT paper.  Let the user select his or her own preferences.

I have spoken. Rolleyes

Ed, you raise some very valid points.  The one thing I would like to see is to have a standard, readable font as the default font, because (let's face it), probably over 90% of our members would have no clue on how to change the fonts in their own browser.  Your knowledge is great on that, but the average Joe here has to deal with whatever the "default" settings are here.

I can go back through the global.css file and adjust as time permits, but I'm pretty new to css stuff myself.  Right now, I'm focusing more on the simple stuff that needs to be fixed, or things that are simple to fix, rather than the things that aren't absolutely necessary at this point. I'm learning a bit of css stuff myself (of necessity, unfortunately) but I probably know enough to be dangerous.

Thanks
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

The current font is quite legible on all my devices (23" PC screen down to iPhone 6). I don't think any change is necessary.,

I abhor the recent trend to skinny, tiny fonts in grey on a light grey background, seen so often in "trendy" sites and publications. Black on white is all that's needed.
Quote:Does anyone else remember having that type of functionality with the old forum software?

I don't recall the feature Galactus mentioned. But you do realise you're asking us to remember back past last week?
(01-25-2017, 04:39 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
Quote:Does anyone else remember having that type of functionality with the old forum software?

I don't recall the feature Galactus mentioned. But you do realise you're asking us to remember back past last week?

Yeah, I hear 'ya.  I barely remember what happened an hour ago... oldman

On the current font type (in posts), yesterday it was reverted to the same font we had on the old forum software.
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

(01-24-2017, 10:19 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(01-24-2017, 09:34 PM)Galactus Wrote: I have thought long and hard on this, and it is certainly possible it is a different forum. I trust you and if you've looked and see no undo, than I believe you. I could swear it was here, but I'm only human, it's possible I'm wrong. Sorry if I made you search for teh snipe.

Howdy Galactus,

I'm not saying it wasn't there... I'm just saying that I can't find it now.  Stranger things have happened, so you could be right, which is why I'm asking if others saw that as well.

It would actually be a good function to have, I would think.  I believe there's a plugin out there for our software that gives an "enhanced" text editor with a lot more tools, one of which is an "undo" and "redo" button.  We may take a look at that after things calm down with the basic software debugging.

Coffee

Hey there SS, 

I'm going to go with this; I really believe(d) we had this feature. If we had it, it's missing now. If we didn't have it, we really need it. That's my story (my new story?). And most importantly I'm sticking to it. I so really remember it, must be my old age creeping up on me, or another forum.... this sleep apnea is gonna be the death of me lol.  All joking aside, sorry if I made or are making you crazy, not my intent. I was so sure it was there.

Thanks SS for all the very hard work.

BTW- This font is easier on me. Thank you!!
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
(01-24-2017, 10:24 PM)SuperSleepe Wrote: Ed, you raise some very valid points.  The one thing I would like to see is to have a standard, readable font as the default font, because (let's face it), probably over 90% of our members would have no clue on how to change the fonts in their own browser.  Your knowledge is great on that, but the average Joe here has to deal with whatever the "default" settings are here.

But they don't.  They see whatever their browser and operating system's default fonts are, unless you try to over-ride it, but that will break the design on some operating systems and some browsers  Different O/S, different fonts.  Nothing you can do about it.  Attempting to override is futile because that's the way the Web was purposely designed, right from the ground up.  Your web page will *not* look like it does in Windows 10 if you are viewing it on an Android tablet or 'phone.  Ditto for Apple.  Apple don't got no Verdana, nor many of the other common Windows fonts.

If you stay away from trying to define fonts beyond simple serif or sans-serif, 95% of users will be happy with their computer and browser's built in defaults.  And 5% maybe will figure out how to change the default fonts in their browser and will be probably happy with their choice. 

Remember some users won't even *see* your site because they are blind.  Some are visually impaired, some have perfect vision.  Some still use non graphical text browsers! All their needs are different.  Trying to dictate how the page will look down the the exact pixel is an exercise in futility.

Set the font family for the <BODY> to sans-serif.  Set the font family for Header elements to serif and stop there.  Increase or decrease font sizes where desirable using non pixel sizing: em, ex, or (even better) percents.  OK, I'm repeating myself.

The reward will be a lot less work for you and a site that works well for every user.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,062 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 957 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,200 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Jan's - Therapy Thread Jan Flikweert 71 2,578 03-21-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Jan Flikweert
  brainfoggysleeper's Therapy Thread brainfoggysleeper 23 532 03-21-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  SleepyLlama therapy thread SleepyLlama 5 231 03-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.