Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Protec cleaning ball - for humidifier
RE: Protec cleaning ball - for humidifier
(04-16-2016, 12:32 AM)FrankNichols Wrote:
(04-15-2016, 06:58 PM)palerider Wrote: *cough*
http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/04/m...than-good/

Thank you, I will look into that more tomorrow, I expect the article is correct.

Bottom line is that they don't kill bacteria in a normal hand wash - it takes several minutes. Also they can mess up your gut biome and they may promont bacterial resistance to antibiotics.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Protec cleaning ball - for humidifier
No to the Protec cleaning ball. Even if it's good in general, you don't want to be breathing in whatever is in it in the more concentrated quantities you'd get from a CPAP humidifier, unless it's been evaluated for that use. Even if you think the "active" ingredient is safe, there might be other things in there in quantities that aren't of concern in room humidifiers, but are of concern in CPAP.

Why are you concerned? Have you had some sort of nastiness in your tank? Normal cleaning is usually good enough.

I put my water tank in the dishwasher once every other week, and have been doing so for 12 years now, and don't have problems.

Get a spare water tank either way. Often your insurance will buy a new one every 6 months or so. If not, they're fairly cheap online. Once you have a spare, once a week, clean the tank you're using really well, dry it, and let it sit empty for a week or so, when you switch again. To my mind, drying out really well is a good way to reduce germs and ick.

Control III disinfectant is a good, safe, sanitizer for parts you can immerse. READ THE DIRECTIONS. The diluted solution is relatively benign, but the concentrate is fairly nasty until you dilute it. Available online from many sources.

If you're worried, once you have a spare tank, you can try hot water on the old tank. Boil a big pot of water on the stove, turn off the heat, put the disassembled humidifier into the water and let it sit until the water cools. I've had this damage the ResMed S9 "standard" tank, but PRS1 (50 and 60) tanks, S9 dishwashable, and Respironics M series and Legacy tanks had no problem.

Remember, ONLY do this if you have a spare tank.

The hot water or Control III aren't necessary very often, if at all. I've only done it with used equipment, or with equipment that I've used for a LONG time.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 221 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,790 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 759 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.