Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: 11
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Back Again...
(12-11-2015 10:40 AM)trish6hundred Wrote:  Hi Duckdog58,
WELCOME BACK! to the forum.!
Wow, what an experience, I’m sorry to hear about this and hopefully, you will get your new machine soon.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.

I will be fine tomorrow since a co-worker is going to let me use her spare machine until next Wednesday when the new machine comes.
12-11-2015 08:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Duckdog58 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PR1
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:

Other Comments:

Oh, and I forgot to add above. Just back from the followup with the doctor and I definitely show bronchial smoke inhalation. The blessing is my lungs are clear. Upped to a stronger inhaler and starting too feel much better.
12-11-2015 08:36 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(12-11-2015 11:13 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:  Duckdog58, do NOT throw out that machine. Your next step is to demand your DME file a report with the Food and Drug Administration, and copy the manufacturer in writing of your complaint. A fire in a medical device is dangerous and needs to be reported to allow the manufacturer to investigate the cause of the problem and take steps to identify if this is a widespread defect. I'm sure you will receive a new machine.

Here is where you can Report an Adverse Event to the FDA. Use the Consumer/Patient button on the right.

If your machine was a Philips Respironics product, then call the customer service line (your DME should do this for you). The corporate number here in Murrysville is (724) 733-0200. Be sure to tell them about the fire/incident, and advise that you have reported the event to the FDA. I suspect they will instruct you to submit the machine through your DME. Ask them to contact the DME on your behalf, or send an email or letter with that instruction in case your DME has any questions about what their legal responsibility is in a case like this. Have your DME contact information available.

You may have an actionable loss that a consumer attorney would love to get his hands on, if you're so inclined. This is clearly a health or life-threatening event that should not occur with a medical device. I hope you will take steps to have it reported and investigated.
Best Advice in the thread!

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-11-2015 08:58 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Duckdog58 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PR1
Mask Make & Model:

Other Comments:

Just a quick update. All is settled with the machine and a new one will be here tomorrow. I got a small payment to cover medical costs and the price of the machine. I never wanted to put anybody out of business, just wanted them to act responsibly in the future.

My lungs are slowly getting better, but I have a few more days to go before I think I will really be back to normal.

Thanks for letting me share. Get those machines serviced from time to time.
12-15-2015 08:32 AM
Terry Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips Respironics RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P/R Nuance & Pap Cap
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: Auto
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(12-11-2015 11:13 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:  Duckdog58, do NOT throw out that machine. Your next step is to demand your DME file a report with the Food and Drug Administration, and copy the manufacturer in writing of your complaint.

Definitely do this!

Whether or not you care about suing anybody, you could easily be saving lives. There have been recalls on CPAP machines for exactly this reason. Nobody should die in a fire because of a medical device.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2015 09:58 AM by Terry.)
12-15-2015 09:56 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Turn my pressure back up? duece12345 5 184 12-07-2016 12:47 PM
Last Post: duece12345
  [CPAP] Machine turning self off and back on rstroudmsdwc 36 13,965 12-05-2016 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can't Find Device Number (DN) on Back of Machine gamegrrl 5 188 11-14-2016 05:32 PM
Last Post: gamegrrl
Gross I AM BACK !! Lost53 15 1,069 10-31-2016 09:14 AM
  BiPAP ST Rx: Back up rate=0 jgoole 3 237 10-10-2016 11:35 AM
  was diagnosed with apnea 10 years ago.... last sleep study came back negative LB1982 13 1,097 10-08-2016 07:34 PM
Last Post: lab rat
  My AHI keeps going back up :/ michaelba72 15 803 10-04-2016 01:18 PM