Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Back Again...
Back Again...
And sharing a new experience. Never thought I would be posting about this, but my machine decided to die a fiery death and attempt to take me with it.

Woke up night before last unable to breath at all, and had a mask filled with smoke. I managed to get the mask off, unplug the machine, and am now on albuterol and advair to take the inflammation out of my lungs and bronchial tract.

Not an experience I would want anybody else to ever experience.

To say the least.

Now I am in the midst of searching for a new machine without having to jump through the hoops of another sleep study and dealing with the local suppliers. I did call them, and they would not bill my insurance for a new machine as they said that the company only will pay once, and would happily send my machine off for repairs. Yeah. Like I'm going to trust that machine ever again.

I said no, but that I would just happily pay out of pocket for a new machine to facilitate the least amount of interruption to my sleep. Well, we need a new prescription, then they would overnight the new machine out to have a nurse set it up. Um, excuse me, but I know how to set a machine. No. They HAVE to have a nurse set the machine.

I said never mind.

I have a new machine ordered and will be here in a few days, holiday shipping nightmares notwithstanding.

In the meantime, to add insult to injury, the spare machine I bought last last summer (cleaned but used Respironics 560)) now has decided to show an error message of "service required" and won't turn on.

The first machine that died a fiery death will go in the garbage this morning. The second machine, though, is it worth attempting to have repaired? Where would I send it?

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays fellow hosers.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Back Again...
Check suppliers #27 & 28 for repairs on backup machine.

Just wondering, how old was your first machine?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2015, 07:13 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Check suppliers #27 & 28 for repairs on backup machine.

Just wondering, how old was your first machine?

Not quite 3.5 years.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not a fan of lawyers; but they can be useful.
And, since I'm a "I don't get mad, I just get even," type of guy: I'd sic (like a Rottweiler on a burglar) a lawyer on both the supplier and the manufacturer with a threat to sue for selling illegal flame throwers.
The whole nine yards... Injury, pain and suffering...
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2015, 07:30 AM)justMongo Wrote: I'm not a fan of lawyers; but they can be useful.
And, since I'm a "I don't get mad, I just get even," type of guy: I'd sic (like a Rottweiler on a burglar) a lawyer on both the supplier and the manufacturer with a threat to sue for selling illegal flame throwers.
The whole nine yards... Injury, pain and suffering...

Probably should. I'd settle for a free new machine. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Duckdog58,
With your luck, I hope you didn't buy any Hoverboards.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OMG that is scary. Yup, sue their a$$es!

So new machine in a few days. What're you doing in the meantime?
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Duckdog58,
WELCOME BACK! to the forum.!
Wow, what an experience, I’m sorry to hear about this and hopefully, you will get your new machine soon.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Duckdog58, do NOT throw out that machine. Your next step is to demand your DME file a report with the Food and Drug Administration, and copy the manufacturer in writing of your complaint. A fire in a medical device is dangerous and needs to be reported to allow the manufacturer to investigate the cause of the problem and take steps to identify if this is a widespread defect. I'm sure you will receive a new machine.

Here is where you can Report an Adverse Event to the FDA. Use the Consumer/Patient button on the right.

If your machine was a Philips Respironics product, then call the customer service line (your DME should do this for you). The corporate number here in Murrysville is (724) 733-0200. Be sure to tell them about the fire/incident, and advise that you have reported the event to the FDA. I suspect they will instruct you to submit the machine through your DME. Ask them to contact the DME on your behalf, or send an email or letter with that instruction in case your DME has any questions about what their legal responsibility is in a case like this. Have your DME contact information available.

You may have an actionable loss that a consumer attorney would love to get his hands on, if you're so inclined. This is clearly a health or life-threatening event that should not occur with a medical device. I hope you will take steps to have it reported and investigated.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, you are absolutely right. I will definitely do so tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 517 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 930 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 398 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 293 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 541 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 234 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.