Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Back On The Machine
RE: Back On The Machine
Hypopneas are better than apneas. If your machine is preventing apneas at the cost of a few more hypopneas then you are better off. How long are these events lasting? A few 10 or 11 second hypopneas are really no big deal, especially if these would have been actual apneas without the machine.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2015, 01:27 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: Hypopneas are better than apneas. If your machine is preventing apneas at the cost of a few more hypopneas then you are better off. How long are these events lasting? A few 10 or 11 second hypopneas are really no big deal, especially if these would have been actual apneas without the machine.

Last night I had 76 CA's, 11 Hyp all listed at 10secs), 2 OA's..

very tired today...thinking of biting the bullet and getting an ASV machine...

Storywizard

Post Reply Post Reply
Story, I've been following you for quite a while now. In spite of some mis-steps along the way, you have been giving this cpap stuff a very good try. Good job sticking with it and doing the best you can.

But it does sound like it's time for you to migrate to the ASV machines. Where do you stand with the sleep docs? Can you discuss it openly with them and get a good reading on what they think given your latest results?

Cpap pressure of 8 is too low. We've talked about that. But you cannot increase it with the strong central results you are seeing. And clearly with just 2 OA's and a handful of hypops, you don't need to other than for comfort.

So resolve to migrate to the ASV. Talk to the docs. If your insurance cannot help, then get a prescription from the docs and score a good used machine from one of our on-line suppliers, craig's list, or wherever.

Hang in there Story, you are a great testament to the perseverance that we sometimes need.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2015, 01:45 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Story, I've been following you for quite a while now. In spite of some mis-steps along the way, you have been giving this cpap stuff a very good try. Good job sticking with it and doing the best you can.

But it does sound like it's time for you to migrate to the ASV machines. Where do you stand with the sleep docs? Can you discuss it openly with them and get a good reading on what they think given your latest results?

Cpap pressure of 8 is too low. We've talked about that. But you cannot increase it with the strong central results you are seeing. And clearly with just 2 OA's and a handful of hypops, you don't need to other than for comfort.

So resolve to migrate to the ASV. Talk to the docs. If your insurance cannot help, then get a prescription from the docs and score a good used machine from one of our on-line suppliers, craig's list, or wherever.

Hang in there Story, you are a great testament to the perseverance that we sometimes need.

thanks for that RG...:-)
The sleep docs don't want to know about the centrals, I did not have any on my overnight sleep test last October...but they come on bad with the pressure. Present doc refuses to read data from machine, the tech sees there is something, he got me to do an overnight oximetry last Tuesday, was sending a report to the doc.
My GP is on my side, will write a prescription for whatever I need to get, so I am thinking it is time to at least try...
Not sure about used machines in Canada, and am leery of the border re customs letting a machine through, so I may go new machine from a supplier here...big bucks, but at this point I realize I need to take care of myself as the system will not...

This is the machine I am thinking of getting:

{link removed}

Thanks again RG, I needed that...

Story...

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----

Post Reply Post Reply
It's a shame it has come to this. Your sleep professional should have a keen awareness of complex sleep apnea. I asked you at one time what cereal box his diploma came in, and he has certainly earned that insult since. Is he a health professional, or a gatekeeper to the governments CPAP purse? He deserves some of your scorn.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just bought myself a ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt SV with Heated Humidifier - REF - 36007 from Supplier #2.

Looking forward to the next part of the journey....

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2015, 06:15 PM)storywizard Wrote: Just bought myself a ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt SV with Heated Humidifier - REF - 36007 from Supplier #2.

Looking forward to the next part of the journey....

Storywizard

Good job Story,

Now reach out to the guys around here that are using that machine so you can get some pointers as to set-up and how to adapt to it successfully.

I believe you will do great.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks RG...

I will look at the manual...and start reading....

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Storywizard

It's a big step up from an Autoset to an ASV machine, and they have a very different "feel", but you should find that your centrals disappear pretty quickly once you get used to the machine. The biggest difference is that the ASV doesn't operate at a more-or-less constant pressure like a CPAP or Autoset, but breathes with you - every time you inhale, the machine will increase pressure, and every time you exhale it will reduce pressure. This does take some getting used to, and it can feel like the machine is trying to force your breathing. The Resmed has a patented algorithm called Pacewave which adjusts the machine's rate to match your own more closely, so that it works with you, not against you. When you start using it, just breathe slowly and regularly, and the machine will match your rate quite nicely. If it occasionally tries to rush you, just blow back quite forcefully, and it will get the message.

The difficult thing to advise is what pressures you should be using. With this type of machine, you have five settings: EPAP min, EPAP max, PS min, PS max and IPAP max. EPAP is the exhalation pressure, and should be set low enough to be comfortable but high enough to prevent obstructive apnea or hypopnea. IPAP is the inhalation pressure. On an ASV machine this can go up to 25, which you will definitely notice! PS is pressure support, which is the amount of extra pressure to get from EPAP to IPAP. Remember: EPAP + PS = IPAP.

To start out, I'd suggest the following settings: EPAP Min: 7; EPAP Max: 12; PS Min: 3; PS Max: 5; IPAP max: 20. (In fact it won't actually get to 20, but you can leave it there as a convenient ceiling for later adjustments). Try this for a week, review in SleepyHead and see how it goes.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for this guidance DeepBreathing, I have printed it off and will use it to set up...Machine is shipping today...

I would be excited if I was not to sleep depraved...lol

ThanksThanks

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 517 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 930 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 398 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 293 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 541 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 233 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.