Back Sleeper
OMyMyOHellYes Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics 560 Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Respironics System One (no heated hose)
CPAP Pressure: 08.0-15.0 cm/H2O
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Back Sleeper
Not really apnea-specific, but kind of related.....

For well over 15, maybe 20 years, I was a side/belly sleeper. Just couldn't go to sleep on my back.

25 years ago, I was mostly a back sleeper; that changed over time to being the dedicated side/belly sleeper in spite of the more comfortable (at least more comfortable for my back) supine position. I suspect the change had to do with weight gain and gradual onset of apnea through the years (Some girls told me that I SNORED - LOUDLY AND A LOT - when back sleeping). Side sleeping probably some subconsious defense mechanism as a way to moderate the effects of apnea which are often worsened or made more pronounced by supine sleeping position.

Well, for the last ten or fifteen years, I have been totally UNABLE to fall asleep on my back. Sleepy, go to bed, put on CPAP, lie on back miserably wanting to go to sleep for an hour, sleepy as all get out, but unable to sleep. Roll over, fall asleep in less than five minutes. (Honestly, my interest initially in CPAP therapy was partially an attempt to reclaim the supine sleeping position).

Well, a couple of weeks ago, got to having some bad back pain and the only position I could find that was not acutely painful was flat on my back with a pillow bolster under my knees, so decided to just lie on my back even if I got no sleep. Took a while to GO to sleep that first night, but back was very painful on side, worse on belly, so those were out. Finally fell asleep. Next night on back was better. And thus far, I have slept on back all night, every night. Less moving around and better dream activity (at least I am remembering dreaming even if details escape me).

Expected more AHI events and higher pressures for longer time, but am just not seeing it in first couple of weeks. Will check again this weekend and see if there is any trend away from that.

OMM
08-26-2014 06:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Back Sleeper
Sounds great. Whatever works best.
08-26-2014 01:51 PM
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11-16

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

I too don't like sleeping on my back, and think I might have slept on my stomach (80%) when I was much much youger.

Today I never even lie on my stomach unless my massage therapist makes me do it -- sinus always let down ad I can't breath for one thing.

My side works, my right side works better.

Even with last weeks RIGHT total hip replacement I slept on my side and as much on my right side as much as possible.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
08-26-2014 02:08 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
cant_sleep_in_nj Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S8
Mask Make & Model: mirage quattro
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 14
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Also use a transcend II for travel with a mirage quattro full face mask

been a stomach sleeper all my life, since using the FF and cpap, have been trying to sleep on my back. its only the last month or so that im able to some of the time. im hoping at some point i can train myself to sleep on my back fulltime. the leaks would be completely gone if so
08-30-2014 10:42 AM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

I always slept on my right side and that is my preference. I am just the opposite of you. I can go to sleep fast on my back but I can't fall asleep when I am on my right side. I miss sleeping on my side.
08-30-2014 02:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

One of my great joys about the CPAP therapy has been my ability to sleep on my back. I'm loving that. Lay there, stretch out head to toe as far as I can. It's great. I couldn't even think of sleeping on my back pre-cpap. Did I mention I'm loving it?

I spend my night flopping around between my back and my left side. I can sleep equally well either way. But on the right side I get to get all pretzeled up into a little tight ball. That's good. Then I can turn back over on my back and stretch out head to toe....... Did I mention I'm loving it?

Never sleep on my right side of course. Or my stomach. I tried sleeping on my stomach once but the miserable cats thought I was a teeter-totter.
08-30-2014 07:04 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Like you, I had to start sleeping on my back on purpose due to back and hip pain. The first few weeks, the AHI was very high. But as I adjust pillows and the like, the lower it got. It still stays at about 3.x and sometimes up at 4.x but as long as I wake up feeling like I slept well, I'm okay with that. Letting go of the "gotta fix that data!!!" was hard for me, let me tell ya!

I have a feather pillow for my head. It goes from neck up and I mold it to where it needs to be (I have neck issues, too). Then I fold my body pillow in half and tuck it under my knees. We looked at some wedge set-ups to sit me up slightly, but that was cost prohibitive. Same with getting an adjustable bed.

If this is something you have to do long term, you may want to raise the head of your bed a bit. That should help a little.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-30-2014 09:23 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
kfujioka Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Bipap system one auto
Mask Make & Model: Air fit P10 and The Hybrid
Humidifier: System One heated humidifier & heated tube
CPAP Pressure: 12/07 for bipap

Other Comments: New to sleep apnea however think I have had it for a year because started having symptoms a year ago

Sex: Female

I am a back sleeper due to back issues in the last year. Before my back issues I lived sleeping on my stomach and slept that way most my life. It looks like I am doomed to back sleeping because of pain otherwise, but with my bipap it works well. I have a small nasal mask and don't move around hardly at all.
I was just diagnosed with sleep apnea so I do t even know if I slept on my side or back if it would be much better.(I guess it would.) I sometime want to "give it a try" sleeping on my stomach. However, currently the back pain is too bad to try it.

Kimberly from HonoluluSleep-well
08-31-2014 01:13 AM
Gabby Online

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her
Mask Make & Model: Philips Nuance Nasal Mask
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10 For Her
CPAP Pressure: 8-14

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

I'm a back sleeper, with a pile of pillows behind me so I am half sitting up.
I was really afraid when I started using a machine, I didn't think I would be able to sleep on my back anymore but thankfully I've had no real problems.
I thought back sleeping was a big no no for cpaper's?

Sleep Tight...
Gabby
08-31-2014 02:55 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Skypilot Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed Hire
Mask Make & Model: AIRFITâ„¢ P10 nasal pilow
Humidifier: H5i Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: Doc said to try 12; was 14

Other Comments: The land of Nod is but a dream.

The only time I sleep on my back is if I am having an afternoon nap. Otherwise I am a side sleeper in the recovery position.
08-31-2014 08:39 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Turn my pressure back up? duece12345 5 153 Yesterday 12:47 PM
Last Post: duece12345
  [CPAP] Machine turning self off and back on rstroudmsdwc 36 13,898 12-05-2016 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can't Find Device Number (DN) on Back of Machine gamegrrl 5 185 11-14-2016 05:32 PM
Last Post: gamegrrl
Gross I AM BACK !! Lost53 15 1,059 10-31-2016 09:14 AM
  BiPAP ST Rx: Back up rate=0 jgoole 3 234 10-10-2016 11:35 AM
  was diagnosed with apnea 10 years ago.... last sleep study came back negative LB1982 13 1,087 10-08-2016 07:34 PM
Last Post: lab rat
  My AHI keeps going back up :/ michaelba72 15 786 10-04-2016 01:18 PM