Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Back Sleeping With CPAP?
RE: Back Sleeping With CPAP?
(10-07-2015, 02:19 PM)sptrout Wrote:
(10-07-2015, 01:18 PM)linn Wrote:
(10-07-2015, 01:16 PM)sptrout Wrote: Due to back problems I have to sleep on my back. My sleep study was conducted in late March and I told them I had to sleep on my back and they agreed that it was not an issue (my sleep study AHI was 47). Since I started CPAP on 4/2/15, my AHI runs between 0 and .5 and has never been higher than .7. BTW - - The pressure is set at 8.

Did you have difficulty sleeping on your back before CPAP? I feel like I can't get air when sleeping on my back...

Yes and no. I have always been a light sleeper so I frequently switched from side to back to side until my back problems started, then I had no choice but to back sleep (but not a problem doing so). The only time that I ever thought that I may have had apnea (before testing) was when I was awake and on my side. When on my side, I did have trouble breathing (had a total blockage either inhaling or exhaling, I do not remember which), but I never noticed any blockage issues while on my back and awake. I know that being awake is not sleep apnea, but awake side blockage was an indication of a problem.

Thanks for the feedback :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
PaulaO2 has the right technique for back issues.

Just do it.

Get a FF mask and make yourself adapt to it. Try several till you find one that chooses you!

Took me about 3 months every single night all night.
If I tossed it off, I got up and put it back on.
I felt pretty crappy but I could see my AHI numbers going down and my O2 sats staying up!
Now that I am used to this evil machine I can work with it.
It takes good care of me at night.

Hang in there and don't quit!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2015, 03:15 PM)Shastzi Wrote: PaulaO2 has the right technique for back issues.

Just do it.

Get a FF mask and make yourself adapt to it. Try several till you find one that chooses you!

Took me about 3 months every single night all night.
If I tossed it off, I got up and put it back on.
I felt pretty crappy but I could see my AHI numbers going down and my O2 sats staying up!
Now that I am used to this evil machine I can work with it.
It takes good care of me at night.

Hang in there and don't quit!

LOL - Thanks :-) It's going to be a battle
Post Reply Post Reply
The thing is, make yourself comfortable so you can sleep. The CPAP will do its job. If you need to adjust the pressure, do so. If not, cool. The key here is to sleep and if that means on your back, side, or upside down, go for it. As for opening your mouth in your sleep, try a chin strap first. It is cheaper.

If you think you will only use an oximeter every once in a while, you can get a relatively cheap one like the 50D Plus. If you think you will use one fairly regularly, then invest in one that goes in the wrist and has a finger probe. More expensive but lasts longer and more comfortable. Check out Supplier #19 in the Suppliers List (link at top of every page). You can get used and open box CPAP machines from Supplier #2. That's where I got my Autoset. You'll need a copy of your prescription. Anyone can write one, it does not have to be your sleep doc.

I currently use a regular feather body pillow. Won't get another one. Each night I have to pause and pull a prickly feather out where it is poking me. I am going to invest in a husk/hull one. It isn't U shaped, I make it that way. They do make some that is huge and shaped that way but it is overkill for what I need.

They also make wedge pillows for legs and upper back. I've tried several. Because of my hypermobility, they don't work for me but others love them. I did tend to stay in place with them.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2015, 11:08 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The thing is, make yourself comfortable so you can sleep. The CPAP will do its job. If you need to adjust the pressure, do so. If not, cool. The key here is to sleep and if that means on your back, side, or upside down, go for it. As for opening your mouth in your sleep, try a chin strap first. It is cheaper.

If you think you will only use an oximeter every once in a while, you can get a relatively cheap one like the 50D Plus. If you think you will use one fairly regularly, then invest in one that goes in the wrist and has a finger probe. More expensive but lasts longer and more comfortable. Check out Supplier #19 in the Suppliers List (link at top of every page). You can get used and open box CPAP machines from Supplier #2. That's where I got my Autoset. You'll need a copy of your prescription. Anyone can write one, it does not have to be your sleep doc.

I currently use a regular feather body pillow. Won't get another one. Each night I have to pause and pull a prickly feather out where it is poking me. I am going to invest in a husk/hull one. It isn't U shaped, I make it that way. They do make some that is huge and shaped that way but it is overkill for what I need.

They also make wedge pillows for legs and upper back. I've tried several. Because of my hypermobility, they don't work for me but others love them. I did tend to stay in place with them.

Thanks for the info Paula. I had a really bad sleep last night - ears popping and clicking like crazy. I tried sleeping on my back and I felt like I was suffocating. I guess I will have to wait for the CPAP.

I can't find a comfortable way to sleep - and get air. I may need a shot of Botox inside my ears.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2015, 11:08 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The thing is, make yourself comfortable so you can sleep. The CPAP will do its job. If you need to adjust the pressure, do so. If not, cool. The key here is to sleep and if that means on your back, side, or upside down, go for it. As for opening your mouth in your sleep, try a chin strap first. It is cheaper.

What do you mean about the chin strap being cheaper? Cheaper than the CPAP? Sorry, I am sleep deprived and new to all of this Sad I really appreciate all the help. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2015, 08:05 AM)linn Wrote:

What do you mean about the chin strap being cheaper? Cheaper than the CPAP? Sorry, I am sleep deprived and new to all of this Sad I really appreciate all the help. Thanks.

No, she just meant that a chin strap is an inexpensive way to try to keep your mouth closed at night instead of accidentally reverting to month breathing while asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2015, 09:39 AM)sptrout Wrote:
(10-08-2015, 08:05 AM)linn Wrote:

No, she just meant that a chin strap is an inexpensive way to try to keep your mouth closed at night instead of accidentally reverting to month breathing while asleep.

If I wore a chin strap, I wouldn't get any air at all. I think my airways are very constricted. Perhaps, I could wear the chin strap with the CPAP. Life would be so much easier if I could just sleep on my back without suffocating Sad

Post Reply Post Reply
No, I meant a chin strap is cheaper than a full face mask. If you do not yet have a CPAP, sleeping in a recliner may be the best option for you. That and seeing your doc about your ears. The pressure from the CPAP is going to aggravate that condition so get it taken care of now.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2015, 03:58 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: No, I meant a chin strap is cheaper than a full face mask. If you do not yet have a CPAP, sleeping in a recliner may be the best option for you. That and seeing your doc about your ears. The pressure from the CPAP is going to aggravate that condition so get it taken care of now.

This just keeps getting worse Sad

My Dr. just tells me to go to physiotherapy and I'm not sure if he can fix this.

I may have to try an oral appliance instead...Feel like I'm running out of options. How do the oral appliances work?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,953 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 804 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 247 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 514 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.