Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Back-Up Battery for ASV?
Back-Up Battery for ASV?
I use an Aircurve 10 ASV for central sleep apnea. 

I travel to a place that has frequent blackouts, and sleeping without my ASV is not an option. I need to bring a battery-operated backup. I tried the Resmed Power Station and didn't get enough time out of it.  Ideally, I'd like to find a battery that lasts for at least 14 hours (2 nights). I prefer humidification but can forego it if I must. I'd rather use a lithium battery than lead acid. 

I'd very much appreciate any suggestions or advice about the best option for at least 2 nights of a portable lithium backup.

Many thanks!
Midge 

epap 5 to 8
PS 2 to 12
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Back-Up Battery for ASV?
Hi Midge, I moved your thread from the Product Review Forum into the Main Apnea Board Forum, since it wasn't really a product review.

Hopefully folks can now offer up some advice to help out.

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Back-Up Battery for ASV?
Midge, getting backup power to your ASV is not that difficult, but the price will vary depending on how you go about it. You need some easily available accessories and a battery. The battery is the most expensive part, so let's discuss whether weight and portability is a priority over cost.

Your least expensive option is an deep cycle (marine) battery with conventional flooded lead-acid plates. This is heavy but durable and safe, but must be enclosed in an inexpensive battery box with a handle. It is the least expensive option with a lot of power. About $100 for 80 amp-hours.
Next in line is an AGM (absorbed glass mat) deep cycle battery. These are more expensive, but have no liquid acid and can be used in any position without leakage. We use AGM batteries in motorcycles, and watercraft, and they are as happy on their side or upside down. These won't leak and are safe, but are relatively heavy compared to Li-ion. About $200 for 80 amp-hours.
The lithium-ion battery is smaller and lightweight, but much more expensive and has less much capacity. Li-ion batteries are usually safe, but have been known to combust with intense heat if they fail. Amp-hour ratings are unreliable, but the MaxOak on Amazon claims 50000 milliamp hours, which is 50 amp-hours at $130.

You can use the Resmed Battery Guide https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...lo_eng.pdf to determine how much capacity you need, and learn about 12V to 24V converters. Power consumption depends on pressure and accessories. This guide assumes you will use the humidifier. You will not have enough capacity on Li-Ion to use a humidifier, and will need to turn off the heat. The Resmed 37297 converter gives you clips to attach to a battery and a cigarette lighter plug, and works with all Airsense and Aircurve 10 machines.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 115 Yesterday, 10:29 AM
Last Post: johnbrain
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,988 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,338 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,829 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 525 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 935 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 402 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.