Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Back for a Second Round...this time I'm going to get it
Back for a Second Round...this time I'm going to get it
Hello,

I'm back for another go at sleeping with a CPAP.  I have a Phillips Respironics with a humidifier, and I'm in possession of both nasal pillows and a full face-mask.  You will see some initial data below...can a more experienced CPAP user tell me if my flowrate waveform looks odd.  Thanks, ATLApnea

[attachment=4240]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Back for a Second Round...this time I'm going to get it
Ummmmm....where's the rest of your night????

It would be really helpful if you could use your xPAP for the entire time you sleep and then post a SleepHead chart. Start with a SleepyHead chart for the whole night and then drill down to a small segment. Maybe post a couple of nights.

Those wave forms don't look unusual, but I'm a newb.

Oh, congratulations on taking a second look at an xPAP regimen.
Post Reply Post Reply
Will do...this is all I could muster on this night.  My goal is to persevere and utilize the device for 6 to 8 hours.  Glad to know the waveform doesn't look irregular.  It seemed strange that there was a hump in the middle of my inspiration.  Thanks for the feedback!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ATLApnea,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Better luck to you this time around with CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
ATLAtlant, actually the wave forms show some pretty strong flow limitation. There seems to be a brief initial inhale, pause and inhale then resumes. This causes the inhale to be longer than exhale which is a bit unusual (search I:E ratio respiration). Higher pressure might help you to initiate and maintain inspiration and normalize that curve. Another possibility for this wave form anomaly is the A-Flex setting which provides transition pressure as you initiate inspiration. In flow limitation or where inspiratory volume is low, that pressure support may not be sustained for the full inhale time. That may explain the "double pump" effect. If you are using A-Flex, you might consider lowering the Flex setting to 1 or using C-Flex which may improve that.

This is a brief look at a small part of the night, but based on what I'm seeing here, I recommend increasing minimum pressure to 6.0 and change Flex settings to CFlex at 1.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did let you know I'm a newb! But live and learn.

I frequently have wave forms like that and, ahem, I have high flow limit.

I had thought high flow limit created flat-top waves, but maybe that too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much Sleeprider!  I caught this advice right before I was about to fire-up my respironics beast.  I will implement your suggestions tonight and report back.  Take care and sleep well!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 209 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,436 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,975 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 619 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 173 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 808 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.