Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Back in French Polynesia, Time zone problem
RE: Back in French Polynesia, Time zone problem
(03-04-2015, 12:42 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: GMT stands for "Greenwich Mean Time". Why should the world standard revolve around a small town in England? Because when it was invented Britain was the main world power and the holder of a vast empire? Well that empire is now just a faded memory.

UTC stands for "Universal Time Coordinated" which pretty much accurately reflects what it is, except perhaps for the confusion of our beautiful blue planet with the entire Universe. However in math the word "universe" has a special meaning, and does not imply the whole cosmos.

An insistence that it be called "GMT" seems like misplaced nostalgia to me.

Actually, it was set in Greenwich because the Greenwich observatory was the most widely used and respected source for time and navigational data. They needed accurate time information for navigation for their naval empire and merchant fleet.

UTC doesn't stand for anything or it stands for Coordinated Universal Time." The English wanted "CUT," the French wanted "TUC". "UTC" was the compromise.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
(03-04-2015, 03:48 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: The next thing you know, you people are going to be telling me I can't call the airport "Idlewild" any more.

Er, read your message again. You were telling us how to say it. Call it what you want. Feel entirely free. No skin off my back.

But, I'm sorry, you don't get to tell me what to call it. I prefer to use the real, internationally agreed upon way. What's that to you?

Quote:It weren't broke, so don't fix it.

It was broke. It's been fixed for many years now.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

GMT means something - utsey means nothing.

GMT has a rich historical significance and is still THE recognized time standard in many, many nations. Including Canada: "'standard time', except as otherwise provided by any proclamation of the Governor in Council that may be issued for the purposes of this definition in relation to any province or territory or any part thereof, means ... (f) in relation to the Province of British Columbia, Pacific standard time, being eight hours behind Greenwich time" Interpretation Act, RSC 1985, c I-21, section 31.
(03-04-2015, 07:59 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: GMT means something - utsey means nothing.

Sez you. You are entitled to your opinion.

I am entitled to mine. My opinion is that your opinion is rather silly, but you have an equal right to consider mine as equally silly.

Last I heard the statutory law of British Columbia or Canada is beside the point outside those borders.

Call it what you want. I'll call it what I want, which is U.T.C.

Really, what a silly thing to argue about. So I'll stop here.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

and now I understand one good reason for SailingAway to sail away. when you give oxygen to people they more easily form opinions.

Zulu.
This thread will be closed at 4:37 AM UTC/GMT/Zulu. For those who wish to convert to their own locale, please refer to this website:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Not sure, but if you set your computer's clock back a few hours, maybe you can trick the forum software into thinking the thread hasn't been closed yet and end up posting after I post this. Or, maybe if you're the proud owner of a Flux Capacitor, you could do it that way, too.

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 201 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,557 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,954 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 608 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 243 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 170 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.