Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can you please help. Waking up with chest pain
Can you please help. Waking up with chest pain
I am a new user to cpap i been using for 4 months now. I started with the f30 mask and got horrible leaks unfortunately my head is wide and big I take a 7 7/8 in hat sizes. So I switched to f 20 and my leaks are gone now and I using pads around my headgear to ease the neck pain and tightness. sometimes I wake up with a dry mouth because of the humidifier settings I switched it to auto and it seems to working but I been waking up to chest pain for the past months and it starting to get worst I went to ER twice and they said everything was fine and I have no heart issues I'm trying to figure out why I wake up with this pain. I'm pretty much sure its the bipap machine I wake up to my chest pain and tightness and  my left arm feeling tingling I tried switching up positions and the pain is still there. I'm getting afraid to use my machine but before the therapy my events over 100 an hour and now it's down to 5. Can anybody help
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can you please help. Waking up with chest pain
Chest Pain is a tricky issue. Before you take the word of an ER doctor, I suggest you consult a cardiologist and a pulmonologist for a full workup before you decide to ignore the symptoms. It could be a transient "come-and-go" thing that requires a nuclear scan, or the wearing of a monitor for a number of days. Like the ZIO patch which is about the size of a large bandage and tracks heart signals for weeks of data. It could be pain from gastric reflux at night. The fact you have pain in the left arm and are using a high-pressure demands investigation. At the very least, a stress echocardiogram.

Do not play doctor. Forum advice is nice, but it is not conclusive and any delay in seeking medical intervention can be problematic.

Hate to sound so negative, but I found out quite by accident that I have a heart condition that can lead to sudden death. Had I ignored the symptoms of a racing heart -- who knows what the outcome might have been. Better safe -- with peace of mind -- than sorry.

Best of luck.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2021, 08:45 AM)MrAnton718 Wrote: I am a new user to cpap i been using for 4 months now. I started with the f30 mask and got horrible leaks unfortunately my head is wide and big I take a 7 7/8 in hat sizes. So I switched to f 20 and my leaks are gone now and I using pads around my headgear to ease the neck pain and tightness. sometimes I wake up with a dry mouth because of the humidifier settings I switched it to auto and it seems to working but I been waking up to chest pain for the past months and it starting to get worst I went to ER twice and they said everything was fine and I have no heart issues I'm trying to figure out why I wake up with this pain. I'm pretty much sure its the bipap machine I wake up to my chest pain and tightness and  my left arm feeling tingling I tried switching up positions and the pain is still there. I'm getting afraid to use my machine but before the therapy my events over 100 an hour and now it's down to 5. Can anybody help

Hi Anton. Chest pain should always be investigated, but you say you have no history of heart issues and the ER people found nothing. If you have never had chest pain like this before, and in light of the fact that your post is riddled with worry, I suspect that you are suffering anxiety related to your use of CPAP.

Many of us do, or did. Let's face it, there's nothing 'normal' about trying to sleep while a whispering, whistling, wheezing machine next to your bed , trying to inflate you, and that there's a face-hugger clamped to your visage. It's downright crazy.

Follow-up on the chest pain but don't lose all your faith in the system. If they check you out and find nothing, that's probably because there is nothing wrong and the chest pain is either anxiety or just your lungs and chest wall complaining about this absurd new regime.

It will pass if you keep at it. At this stage I'm sure you can't imagine it, but believe me when I say that there will come a time when you will not only come to accept the thing clamped over your mouth but you will actually struggle to sleep without it.

I am not a doctor and have no expertise in cardio or CPAP matters, only experience in both!
Post Reply Post Reply
A possible cause of chest pain can be swallowing air (aerophagia), and it would not be unexpected with your high pressure. Do you feel the need to burp air in the morning, or does that give any relief?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found out that the head gear was just too tight making giving me bad tension headaches because of the straps putting tension on my neck and temple and giving me bad circulation. I am trying to find a way to get a custom straps or find a way to make the straps looser without comingoff my face. I have a huge head I wear a 7 7/8 in cap sizes so wearing a tight mask for 7 to 9 hours is really bad for my health
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2021, 04:20 AM)StevesSp Wrote:
(02-27-2021, 08:45 AM)MrAnton718 Wrote: I am a new user to cpap i been using for 4 months now. I started with the f30 mask and got horrible leaks unfortunately my head is wide and big I take a 7 7/8 in hat sizes. So I switched to f 20 and my leaks are gone now and I using pads around my headgear to ease the neck pain and tightness. sometimes I wake up with a dry mouth because of the humidifier settings I switched it to auto and it seems to working but I been waking up to chest pain for the past months and it starting to get worst I went to ER twice and they said everything was fine and I have no heart issues I'm trying to figure out why I wake up with this pain. I'm pretty much sure its the bipap machine I wake up to my chest pain and tightness and  my left arm feeling tingling I tried switching up positions and the pain is still there. I'm getting afraid to use my machine but before the therapy my events over 100 an hour and now it's down to 5. Can anybody help

Hi Anton. Chest pain should always be investigated, but you say you have no history of heart issues and the ER people found nothing. If you have never had chest pain like this before, and in light of the fact that your post is riddled with worry, I suspect that you are suffering anxiety related to your use of CPAP.

Many of us do, or did. Let's face it, there's nothing 'normal' about trying to sleep while a whispering, whistling, wheezing machine next to your bed , trying to inflate you, and that there's a face-hugger clamped to your visage. It's downright crazy.

Follow-up on the chest pain but don't lose all your faith in the system. If they check you out and find nothing, that's probably because there is nothing wrong and the chest pain is either anxiety or just your lungs and chest wall complaining about this absurd new regime.

It will pass if you keep at it. At this stage I'm sure you can't imagine it, but believe me when I say that there will come a time when you will not only come to accept the thing clamped over your mouth but you will actually struggle to sleep without it.

I am not a doctor and have no expertise in cardio or CPAP matters, only experience in both!

Found out it was the mask being so tight I gotta find an alternative
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you asked your machine supplier (DME) if this ask comes in a larger size? Thankfully they make it in a smaller size (For Her) since I use a F20 cushion also.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Anton,
Since you are using a FFM, I will suggest you look at the Fisher&Paykel Simplus or Vitera (successor to Simplus).  Both have a large bellows-like area at the bridge of the nose.  I have been using a Simplus since 2014, and never had much issue with any pressure between 10 and 20cm.  I also use the RemZzz mask liners with the Simplus, to diffuse any small leaks around my eyes, as I don't tolerate those well.  Supplier #26 has a very attractive return/exchange policy, so you can expect to end up with a mask that works for you if purchasing from them.

Good luck on your search.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 110 5 hours ago
Last Post: Valtor
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 983 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 290 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 399 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 260 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 192 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.