Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Back on cpap after some months off. Vauto at Post #71
RE: Back on cpap after some months off
I measured it this morning its around 21.5  and 22 inches. I am 6'4 and 450 though I am steadily losing weight. Well here's to me trying to find a SCC or other type of collar.
Post Reply Post Reply
As long as the cervical collar supports your lower jaw up until just below the ear it will work. SCC sizes tend to work with neck height and not circumference. Buy a collar that fits your neck height and go to somewhere that will lengthen then velcro strap for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok here is last night I also tried the F&P Simplus mask I had gotten the first time but never really used. The snores at the very start were me doing so manually testing out different pillow configurations.  Also including two 2 hour zoom-ins to get a bit more detail for everyone.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Redlegs, looks a bit better. I think re configuring pillows helped. It would help to see a zoom of the flow rate that is approximately 2-minutes long. That gives a clear view of the respiratory wave-form so we can see if flow limitation is present.

Do you need that ramp? I would suggest turning it off if possible. You snore at anything under 16 cm pressure. You can see it on your chart, that everytime the machine drops pressure you have snores that bring pressure right back. I think a soft cervical collar or support will help to resolve this, but you might want to consider using 16.0 as your minimum pressure. The suggestion above of finding a collar that uses a Velcro strap to close in the back can be extended to fit as needed. The collar works mostly by supporting the back of the jaw, not the chin.

Longer-term I would really like to see you using a Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto bilevel machine. You can justify it due to your need for higher pressure. The Vauto will provide pressures to 25 cm rather than just 20, but more importantly, the pressure support (difference between inhale and exhale pressure) can treat the snores and hypopnea and will be much more comfortable than CPAP. Start asking your doctor for a prescription for bilevel, and if you can get it, then the Resmed is the better option vs Philips Dreamstation BiPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2020, 08:56 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Redlegs, looks a bit better.  It would help to see a zoom of the flow rate that is approximately 2-minutes long.  That gives a clear view of the respiratory wave-form so we can see if flow limitation is present.  I think re configuring pillows helped.  Do you need that ramp? I would suggest turning it off if possible.  You snore at anything under 16 cm pressure. You can see it on your chart, that everytime the machine drops pressure you have snores that bring pressure right back.  I think a soft cervical collar or support will help to resolve this, but you might want to consider using 16.0 as your minimum pressure.  The suggestion above of finding a collar that uses a Velcro strap to close in the back can be extended to fit as needed.  The collar works mostly by supporting the back of the jaw, not the chin.

oh, I misread it last time as two-hour segments... I'll update it later today.

I thought I had turned the ramp off I'll do that tonight. Should and I'll try another pillow adjustment tonight.

Let's hope the collar will help and repositioning. Not sure i can afford ATM to upgrade even through insurance.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got a SCC and a knock off Dr Dakota collar today going to try the wedge collar first see how it does tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
like  I think resolving the chin tuck is going to give you much better results.  Sleep well. Sleep-well
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Alright well last night was kind of a dud in that my cat kept waking me up and the SCC was way to tight and seemed to be causing more harm than good. I switched to the Dr Dakota wedge collar the 2nd half of the night and it was a clear difference. I am going to use the wedge again tonight and try and keep my cat from interrupting my sleep. I am pretty sure some of those snores on the 2nd half was when I was exhaling as I do sometimes snore when I exhale. Here I have the full night together, the first half of the night and a 2 minute or so segment from the first half. As you can see it was just awful with that SCC it didn't feel so tight but was quite the hindrance. Also I went in and I know I turned off the ramp and I am sure I didn't hit the ramp button when I laid down so not sure why it keeps being there.

Here is the 2nd half of the night, and then a 2 minute segment from the 2nd half. Still using higher pressure it seems but nowhere near as bad as the first half of my night.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Oddity in that chart 3: shows an OA and then CA with similar looking to me pattern. It seems like the Respironics doesn't know what to make of the events it's presented with and might not even know what to do. That is a possible showing of that indicative trait of Respironics, as not as capable of ResMed to offer great therapy. If this was prior to the SCC, then maybe that's why it couldn't act on the events.

Wait on the better chart readers. I'm just observing/speculating maybe we label this observating. The part where you say you had the collar on does improve. Was it noticeably better, as in you felt therapy was helping?

PS Ramp: maybe you enter clinical mode and disable it to prevent it's hindrances.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The first half of the night was with a soft cervical collar it must have been choking me I'm glad I was able to wake up and take it off and use the other one. Yeah I'm looking forward to using it for a full night to see how it goes. I've entered clinician mode and turned smart ramp off. I'll double check it before bed tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 165 Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 626,095 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 862 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 188 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,987 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 580 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 473 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.