Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Back pain, confusion & discouragement [mask issues and SpO2 questions]
Back pain, confusion & discouragement [mask issues and SpO2 questions]
Just the first week or so with my Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. I also have a CMS50F Pulse Oximeter. 

1) Back Pain; I'm having serious back pain because I usually sleep much of the night on my side. as you can see my mask leaks. Most of that is when I try to turn onto my side. I have a beard and started with the nasal pillows. Believe it or not, it was worse. Now I have the nasal thingy that covers just my nose.

I have another appointment to try more masks on Thursday.

2) Confusion; Why don't the CPAP and the PulseOx agree? 

CPAP says AHI 5.39, hypopneas = 8, obstructions =8

Pulse Oximeter says Pulse changes = 423, PsO2 drops = 160 

[url=[Image: JHtoUWVl.png]][Image: JHtoUWVl.png][/url]

Maybe we can't get anything out of this data and I have to wait until I get a mask that fits. 

It does seem that the times between the leaks have potentially useful data.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Back pain, confusion & discouragement
If you sleep on your side, there's a lot of masks that will work. It is your pillow that can be the problem. Some of us sleep on the edge of the pillow with the mask kinda hanging off the edge. Others use feather or buckwheat husk pillows and make a divot each night wherever our head ends up so the mask is not touched.

Your leaks look bad but you only spend 18% of the night in high leaks. That's a lot, sure, but not freak out time.

I sleep predominantly on my side and use the Nuance nasal pillows. I like the minimalist profile. With most pillows, the mask doesn't get pushed into your face as you sleep, a problem with full face masks and nasal masks.

Don't hesitate to try out a lot of masks to get the one you need. No two faces or sleep patterns are the same so your mask is very personal.

As for the O2 reading, not sure about that one.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Back pain, confusion & discouragement [mask issues and SpO2 questions]
Do you think you may be also be mouth breathing?

They don't agree because they measure different things, You had 3 areas when you had low o2 below 90%. I would first get the leaking fixed, to get better treatment pressure, before I took too much notice.
I also would have my min on 9 to start with and either turn off the ramp or raise that to start at 6. I would leave the max where it is.

being your first week, new user pressure induced CA isn't that unusual and could settle down in a few weeks and for most people in within 12 weeks. It's good you have an spo2 meter as you can also check that with the CA, as well as the obstructive events.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPR questions juniper 7 229 9 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Many OA's and neck/shoulder pain sfgiants123 2 95 Yesterday, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 385 Yesterday, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Matsu1
  Supplier and Insurance issues DudleyDoRight 0 54 Yesterday, 04:36 PM
Last Post: DudleyDoRight
  should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow RichardW 13 322 04-16-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: RichardW
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 186 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 195 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.