Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Back sleeper [causing problems]
Back sleeper [causing problems]
I'm a back sleeper and apparently that's my whole issue. As you can see from my sleep study results. I'm not bad until REM. So, I had my sleep study because I'm always tired, this is the result. I have been using the cpap for a few weeks now, but I've been taking it off while sleeping.... but I'm averaging 4+ hours a nice of using it. My question is, HOW can I learn to sleep on my side? And putting stuff up against my back won't work. I've tried it. Has anyone successfully changed the way they sleep?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Back sleeper
I've heard of two methods. One is using a full body pillow to restrict you from turning onto your side.

The other is to wear a shirt with a pocket sewn into the back. You place a tennis ball into the pocket. When you try to lay on your back the discomfort forces you to sleep on your side.

I haven't tried either one so I can't say how effective they are.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the summary of your sleep study, do you have a copy of the full sleep study?  If no you should get one to keep in your records.   Posting that would help us too.

There is no indication of how well (or not) you slept on your side in the summary.  That is why the question about the full sleep study.

You say "putting stuff up against your back" didn't help, can you be specific about what you tried?

It would help if we could see your daily charts from SleepyHead.  SleepyHead lets us look at what is actually happening during your PAP session, down to the detail of each and every breath you took if necessary.  

You should host your images on IMGUR and provide a link to them here.  I know you cannot do that until you have 4 posts but us a link like htt p://imgur.xxxxxx png  (note the space in the http).

The info in my signature will help you.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, this is all I was able to get from my sleep study. 

I have tried a ball, pillows etc. and I just end up waking up enough to move the stuff. I get a lot of pain in my hips when I sleep, I believe the main issue I sleep on my back.

I do have dream mapper on my phone so it gives me an idea how things are going. Which is what my Dr. sees on a nightly basis.

If there is more to the sleep study that I am able to get, I could always ask for it. I know when I went he showed me the actual study with the video of me sleeping.

Forgot to add. Here is what I did get from my sleep study.

Attached Files
.pdf   sleepstudy (1).pdf (Size: 88.45 KB / Downloads: 82)
Post Reply Post Reply
What sort of bed do you have? Do you have pain if you sleep on your side? I can not sleep flat on my back without pain in low back. I had to switch to a firm mattress with soft topper to be comfortable side sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did have a firm mattress, now I have a memory foam hoping it would help... it doesn't. Issue is I have fibromyalgia and get a lot of hip pain, back as well which I believe is why i switch around a lot, cause I do wake up from my hips hurting (no matter where I sleep) and switch to my back/sides. It just seems to be something I don't know if I can ever really change.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi AngeliqueFox,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2017, 07:52 AM)AngeliqueFox Wrote: I'm a back sleeper and apparently that's my whole issue. As you can see from my sleep study results. I'm not bad until REM. So, I had my sleep study because I'm always tired, this is the result. I have been using the cpap for a few weeks now, but I've been taking it off while sleeping.... but I'm averaging 4+ hours a nice of using it. My question is, HOW can I learn to sleep on my side? And putting stuff up against my back won't work. I've tried it. Has anyone successfully changed the way they sleep?

Not everyone is able to sleep on their sides. For some people, it creates neurology issues, pulled muscles, TMJ..... It may be that the CPAP will just take care of your sleep issues and make the back sleeping moot? Or that experimenting with pillows will let you sleep on your back and still sleep healthily?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2017, 05:51 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 07:52 AM)AngeliqueFox Wrote: I'm a back sleeper and apparently that's my whole issue. As you can see from my sleep study results. I'm not bad until REM. So, I had my sleep study because I'm always tired, this is the result. I have been using the cpap for a few weeks now, but I've been taking it off while sleeping.... but I'm averaging 4+ hours a nice of using it. My question is, HOW can I learn to sleep on my side? And putting stuff up against my back won't work. I've tried it. Has anyone successfully changed the way they sleep?

Not everyone is able to sleep on their sides. For some people, it creates neurology issues, pulled muscles, TMJ..... It may be that the CPAP will just take care of your sleep issues and make the back sleeping moot? Or that experimenting with pillows will let you sleep on your back and still sleep healthily?

Very true BUT if I could learn to sleep on my side I may not even need to cpap. Because during REM is when we relax our most, so it's when I have my issues. During REM is when my oxygen lvl drops to 66% He said overall my sleeping was well (besides REM)
Post Reply Post Reply
What about more of a sitting up arrangement? Maybe a reading pillow? I've found that somewhat helpful.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP & Ear Problems Steptoe 11 1,511 Today, 04:05 AM
Last Post: jiyun
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 116 04-17-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 226 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 139 35,683 04-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 359 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 178 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Glad to Have a Back-up, RM 11 Sent Back for Repair somewherein413 4 154 04-04-2024, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.