Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Back to CPAP -- and some questions at the bottom
Back to CPAP -- and some questions at the bottom
After a few years struggling with an oral appliance to treat my OSA, I'm done. My front teeth are crowding and I've have bite alignment issues now as the appliance has pulled my jaw forward over time.

I was a member here (I think--but I don't remember my screen name) way back when, which is what got me started. I really struggled at first with having to use CPAP, I was in my mid 20's, and you guys helped me to see that it's no big deal (it is--but there's a lot of comraderie/support out there).

For background purposes I'm 33, 6'4 and about 250...not a small guy, active, but not gym-fit. My whole genetic line has thick necks, apnea, our nasal passages came from Pugs, I think). I was a former CPAP user for 2 years until 2011 when I gave up trying to find a mask that fit well (air leaks, facial sores, etc) and also for the freedom of not having to strap a "gas mask" to my face in bed (although, for some, that kind of thing is exciting in the bedroom? lol).

So, on Friday, 2 days ago, I called my sleep doc to see about getting back on CPAP. He's booked out until late April (Thanks, Obama -- No, really, I suspect his popularity is up partly due to the increased number of insured patients now seeking treatment for apnea, this is a VERY good thing). It had been too long since my last visit so he was unwilling to re-up my CPAP prescription over the phone. Understandable.

So, I pulled my old machine out of the closet (Respironics REMstar Pro M, circa 2008). I called a local DME and took an absolute chance on a mask after reading a few reviews-- the Resmed Quattro Fx. Cost me ~$160 out of pocket, ouch, but didn't have a prescription, so I bought the mask frame and head gear separately to side-step that requirement. I'll see if my insurance will reimburse me for the mask later.

Got home, cleaned everything up (still works!), test-fit the new mask, and finished out the rest of my day until bedtime. I went down around 10pm after a few yanks and pulls on the headgear to combat a few leaks. 10.0cm pressure is the current pressure on the machine. Didn't notice any air leaks or discomfort (I was out cold).

I was up the next morning at 6am. Best night of sleep in years....I had energy, I felt like my batteries were fully charged. NO marks on my face from the mask. (Seriously...f*** DME's...going my own way and choosing a mask I thought looked cool and might fit well did me better than 2 years fighting with DME's that were only giving me 2-3 different mask choices to choose from).

---

So...am I missing anything?

Anything I should be careful about?
I'm kinda going off the books and doing my own thing until I can be seen.

I've got an appointment on the books for April to see my Doc, but didn't want to struggle another ~2 months.

I'm hoping to keep my old CPAP machine cobbled together until I can get a new prescription. The blower hours are only ~2,000, but the thing is cumbersome and I have a lot of trips I want to take this year, so a smaller form factor would be GREAT.

If I get a new machine, I know it's illegal to SELL my old one. But can I give it away? Are there organizations that take them as donations--that will GIVE them to someone who needs one (prescribed to have one, but maybe can't afford one?).

Not sure if he'll require a new sleep study. But my compliance data is being recorded on a smart card, which I'll give to him, and hopefully that will show good data. I recently did an at-home ApneaLink sleep test with the oral appliance and that's where I got my last AHI reading of 15. That's about the lowest I've been able to get it. Completely untreated I'm around 25, probably more now. On CPAP, my AHI was next to zero, or whatever the doc said--it's a very effective treatment aside from previous compliance issues. That's what caused me to go back to it.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Back to CPAP -- and some questions at the bottom
ASAA accepts donations of machines, but I think they want newer models...

http://www.sleepapnea.org/resources/cpap...chine.html Wrote:We accept the following machines from non-smoking households with up to 6,000 hours use (approximately 3 years use):

CPAP
AutoCPAP
BiLevel *We do not accept ASV devices
We are in need of the following specific brands and models:

ResMed – S9 or S10 models with integrated humidifier
Philips Respironics – System One or DreamStation with integrated humidifier
Fisher & Paykel Healthcare - Icon models

Supplier #30 offers Rx and testing services and will bill insurance - if you feel inclined to DIY but i would check with them first re: Insurance, because if you have in/out of network differences, they are likely to be out.

with respect to the mask Big Grin awesome that you found one that works right away.... don't be too fast to blame the DME for your former failure, though - things have come a long way in a decade.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
oh, and when you get to the point of selecting a machine, whether you buy out of pocket or go insurance/dme route, Archangle's wiki article is indispensable

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
Although you are using an older Cpap, if there is an SD card in the machine. You should be able to download the Sleepyhead software and read some data off the card. I'm not sure exactly what data your machine will show though, mabye someone else here will know.
http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

Glad your getting back on the Cpap wagon. Start looking at some of the different machines available. Here is a link to help sort it out.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My 2 cents? If it works, don't mess with it! Sounds like you may start dropping pounds and feeling awesome very soon. I've hauled my old dinosaur all over the place - "too many carryons? Oh no, this bag is medical equipment."

And, if it's illegal to sell your old CPAP, where does Supplier #2 get theirs?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,978 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 267 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 525 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 935 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 402 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.