Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Swift Nano for Her
Humidifier: Built into the Airsense10
CPAP Pressure: 15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Back to ffm *sigh*
Feeling a bit frustrated. I love my swift nano for her nasal mask because it's comfy and I can sleep on my side and fall asleep right away... Problem is, as soon as I fall asleep, my tongue drops and the air leaks out of my mouth, even though my husband says I'm never opening my mouth. The last 4 nights I've been above the 24 L/min threshold. I'm going back to the ffm for tonight to see if that helps.

------------
Allynpsych --- Psychology Professor, wife, and mother of a 4-yr old... in need of a good night's sleep. Dreaming
04-23-2016 08:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
palerider Offline

Preferred Members-

Machine: s9 vpap auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: p10
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 18/13+

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Back to ffm *sigh*
maybe it's because tongues don't have anything to do with keeping the air from rushing out of your mouth.

it's all in the nasopharynx behind the tongue.

you pretty much need to do the opposite of what you do to blow up a balloon.
04-23-2016 08:15 PM
green wings Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics System One RemStar Pro (460)
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: integrated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 13.0 cm

Other Comments: using CPAP since Jan. 2016

Sex: Undisclosed

I just looked at a pic of your mask - it looks like a great design. I use a Wisp nasal mask.

I have had the "lip flutter" thing happen while I'm awake where air escapes from my mouth. Makes me feel like a fish.

Would a chin strap stop the leaks from your mouth? I'm probably going to get one soon. I've been procrastinating.

On an entirely unrelated topic, how do you avoid getting your hands/forearms tangled in your hose when you sleep on your side?

Are you able to sleep comfortably on either side or only facing the xPAP machine?

The Wisp is really the only mask that I've used. Its hose is routed over the top of my head.

I am wanting to try a nasal pillows mask, but I am reluctant to give up the hose-over-the-head design.

Thanks!

(04-23-2016 08:12 PM)allynpsych Wrote:  Feeling a bit frustrated. I love my swift nano for her nasal mask because it's comfy and I can sleep on my side and fall asleep right away... Problem is, as soon as I fall asleep, my tongue drops and the air leaks out of my mouth, even though my husband says I'm never opening my mouth. The last 4 nights I've been above the 24 L/min threshold. I'm going back to the ffm for tonight to see if that helps.
04-23-2016 09:19 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SideSleeper Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR DS560HS REMstar Auto-A Flex+ +
Mask Make & Model: Wisp & Dreamwear
Humidifier: Respironics System One
CPAP Pressure: APAP 11-11

Other Comments:

I use a Wisp with a Respironics Premium Chinstrap. It does help.
04-23-2016 09:36 PM
pupcamper Online

Advisory Members

Machine: PR DreamStation CPAP Pro
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 Pillows; Quatro Air FFM
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 cmH2O; no ramp; no C-Flex
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncorePro

Other Comments: Lung cancer survivor since 11/2004; CPAP since 11/2015

Like Green Wings and SideSleeper I think a chin strap may help with your leak problem. I wouldn't be able to use my Nuance nasal pillows without my Ruby chin strap. I had way too many leaks until I got the chin strap. I haven't had a large leak since I started using the combo several weeks ago.

I still haven't completely mastered the tongue suck method either, but I'm getting there. It takes a lot of practice.

"....respiration,—a troublesome practice, but one which custom has rendered necessary to our easy existence...." Oliver Twist, Charles Dickens- 1837

I use FlashPAP to load data from a FlashAir III wifi sd card in my machine to my computer and display it with SleepyHead .
robysue's Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
04-23-2016 10:01 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Inspired Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: resmed airsense 10 autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F & P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 8-12

Other Comments:

(04-23-2016 09:19 PM)green wings Wrote:  I just looked at a pic of your mask - it looks like a great design. I use a Wisp nasal mask.

I have had the "lip flutter" thing happen while I'm awake where air escapes from my mouth. Makes me feel like a fish.

Would a chin strap stop the leaks from your mouth? I'm probably going to get one soon. I've been procrastinating.

On an entirely unrelated topic, how do you avoid getting your hands/forearms tangled in your hose when you sleep on your side?

Are you able to sleep comfortably on either side or only facing the xPAP machine?

The Wisp is really the only mask that I've used. Its hose is routed over the top of my head.

I am wanting to try a nasal pillows mask, but I am reluctant to give up the hose-over-the-head design.

Thanks!

(04-23-2016 08:12 PM)allynpsych Wrote:  Feeling a bit frustrated. I love my swift nano for her nasal mask because it's comfy and I can sleep on my side and fall asleep right away... Problem is, as soon as I fall asleep, my tongue drops and the air leaks out of my mouth, even though my husband says I'm never opening my mouth. The last 4 nights I've been above the 24 L/min threshold. I'm going back to the ffm for tonight to see if that helps.

Dreamwear nasal pillow is over the head design and I loved it except for the fact that I'm a mouth breather and was unable to tame that. So I've had to give up the wonderful comfort of the Dreamwear due to mouth leaks. You might like it.
I Started FFM last night and it was "horrible" to quote Sleepyhead daily report. Hopefully I can tweak it to less than horrible because I'm not feeling very "inspired" at the present.

Inspired
Bigwink
04-23-2016 11:46 PM
allynpsych Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense10 CPAP
Mask Make & Model: Swift Nano for Her
Humidifier: Built into the Airsense10
CPAP Pressure: 15

Other Comments:

So, I used the nasal mask last night with a knitted head band pressed into service as a chin strap, tightened with a hair tie on the top of my head. The head strap of the mask helped keep it in place and I had no large leaks! MyAir gave me a 20/20 score for mask fit! So... I guess I'm adding chin strap to my set up. I also used a thin cotton sock with a hole in the toe and some of my daughter's hair ties as a make shift hose cozy. I have a heated climate line from the machine but the hose that connects to the nasal mask is unheated. No rain out last night either. Wore it for 4hr, 7 mins last night with 0.4 events per hour, so not too bad!

------------
Allynpsych --- Psychology Professor, wife, and mother of a 4-yr old... in need of a good night's sleep. Dreaming
04-24-2016 07:28 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
green wings Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics System One RemStar Pro (460)
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: integrated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 13.0 cm

Other Comments: using CPAP since Jan. 2016

Congrats on finding a solution, Ally. Sounds like you're quite the improviser. Headband, cotton sock, hair ties - I was imagining that combination & smiling. Smile
04-24-2016 07:38 AM
pupcamper Online

Advisory Members

Machine: PR DreamStation CPAP Pro
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 Pillows; Quatro Air FFM
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 cmH2O; no ramp; no C-Flex
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncorePro

Other Comments: Lung cancer survivor since 11/2004; CPAP since 11/2015

(04-24-2016 07:28 AM)allynpsych Wrote:  So, I used the nasal mask last night with a knitted head band pressed into service as a chin strap, tightened with a hair tie on the top of my head. The head strap of the mask helped keep it in place and I had no large leaks! MyAir gave me a 20/20 score for mask fit! So... I guess I'm adding chin strap to my set up. I also used a thin cotton sock with a hole in the toe and some of my daughter's hair ties as a make shift hose cozy. I have a heated climate line from the machine but the hose that connects to the nasal mask is unheated. No rain out last night either. Wore it for 4hr, 7 mins last night with 0.4 events per hour, so not too bad!

Congratulations, allynpsych. I love your innovation. Don't you just love it when a good plan comes together?

By the way, you can cut a 6' hose cozy in thirds to make three short hose cozies. The 6' cozies usually cost less than a single short hose cozy. The hair ties would work to attach them also. As long as you get the fleece ones there shouldn't be any sewing. I used a dab of super glue on the thread on the seam at the cut to to keep it from unraveling.

"....respiration,—a troublesome practice, but one which custom has rendered necessary to our easy existence...." Oliver Twist, Charles Dickens- 1837

I use FlashPAP to load data from a FlashAir III wifi sd card in my machine to my computer and display it with SleepyHead .
robysue's Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
04-24-2016 04:02 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
FrankNichols Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed F10 and/or P10
Humidifier: Builtin
CPAP Pressure: 17-19
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: I've figured out how to get my AHI down to 5, I quit sleeping!

I spent the last two nights trying to get my P10 to work for me using the large and medium pillows. Last night was with the Respironics chin strap. Last night was a disaster with everything slipping and sliding and nothing staying where ir belonged and lots of big leaks. I made a couple adjustments today when I could see what I was doing. I go to sleep after my wife4 and so try to not turn on lights. Getting all the new straps that things on right in the dark was "interesting".

Todays second nap worked pretty well. I made a couple adjustments and put it all on a couple times with my eyes closed. I think I have it down now, I have high hopes for tonights sleep.

Oh, and for all you big guys out there, I am 6'1 250lbs and it turns out the small pillows work better for me - I didn't try them the first two days, I just figured they were for little people. But, the small was much more stable and leaks were much more under control in todays nap test!

Who would have thunk.

I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
04-24-2016 04:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Turn my pressure back up? duece12345 1 31 Today 02:23 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [CPAP] Machine turning self off and back on rstroudmsdwc 36 13,850 Yesterday 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Overslept last night, forgot what day it was *sigh* Beej 8 364 11-20-2016 01:59 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Can't Find Device Number (DN) on Back of Machine gamegrrl 5 183 11-14-2016 05:32 PM
Last Post: gamegrrl
Gross I AM BACK !! Lost53 15 1,054 10-31-2016 09:14 AM
  BiPAP ST Rx: Back up rate=0 jgoole 3 234 10-10-2016 11:35 AM
  was diagnosed with apnea 10 years ago.... last sleep study came back negative LB1982 13 1,083 10-08-2016 07:34 PM
Last Post: lab rat