Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Back to using my AirFit F20
Back to using my AirFit F20
Yup.....back to the F20. Wasn't looking forward to it, but my F30 has been letting me down. I just can't seem to keep it from leaking later on during the night. 

I got 3.5 hrs. of use last night before I decided to take it off. My AHI was 1.5. Tonight, I'm gonna shoot for 6 hrs. or so. The F20 is much more robust and doesn't flex as much as the F30 does. 

I have a sleep doc appt. coming up in mid Nov. I gotta get my time back up to at least show I've been trying. I'm as close as I've ever been to saying enough is enough and giving up on the therapy. 

Although I may be close to quitting, I'm still waging the battle. Can't say though for how much longer, but I'm thinking a few more months. At least the rest of this year.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Back to using my AirFit F20
I started with an F30, but could not get on with it at all. Getting the holes lined up with my bugle seemed to be the issue!

That and feeling like someone had punched me under the nose each night was painful!

Some nights the F30 almost suffocated me when the little holes were not aligned, so I had to give up on the F30.

I much prefer the F20 AirFit, easy to clean and I usually manage a good seal albeit as I run my ResMed S10 in CPAP Mode EPR 3 at the max 20 cm H20, I do need to keep the Strap tight to stop leaks.

I probably need more pressure, like 25, to give me an overhead, because at 20 I am always right on the limit of it either working, or going to rats.

The Straps are the main consumable, as they do stretch.

I use a Medium F20, and to try and find a solution to the stretching issue, I tried a Small Strap to see if that helped but, it was not a success at all.

In effect, the Small F20 Strap is designed for a smaller head, so it completely changed the alignment of the F20 AirFit Cushion and my scores went down not up.

So, best for me was indeed the correct Medium Strap. When I reverted back to that, my scores went back up.

I also tried the F20 AirTouch Cushion, but that did not seal as well as the all silicone F20 AirFit Cushion.

Lastly, I also use a neck brace, just a foam sleeping collar, but worn back to front, and that really helps to stop Chin Tucking, which will still close off the airway even at the maximum pressure my ResMed S10 AirSense AutoSet can manage.

One other thing, nasal congestion can also play a huge part, and that will seriously impact things if your nose gets even slightly congested. That raises other issues, but spending time washing the face, and cleaning teeth and mouth with things like Hydrogen Peroxide as a mouth wash, can help, as can keeping all equipment clean such as the Cushion, Elbow Joint, Pipe and Humidification Unit (if used).

The ClimateLineAir is very good, and cranking up the Humidity can also help to reduce nasal congestion, which can also improve scores and so aid safer and better sleep.

I did also have a leaky Elbow Joint, nothing obvious, but my leak rate went up by a small amount over a few weeks, and I only found this out by carefully swapping every item until it was clear the Elbow Joint was the culprit. Once changed for a better one, that issue was also solved.

Get it all right, and it's worth the effort. Plus it may avoid a Stroke or Heart Attack if Apnoea related Cardiac Stress can be eliminated.

You may well know all of this, but if some of it helps to crack the F20 and keep things going, I hope it helps.

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
Any FFM with mask over my mouth with the lower straps cause clustering OA events and also increases the range of centrals that are inconsistent.

I have to use collar with FFM or I get high AHI. My FL can get really high with FFM.

Once I tried nasal mask, I noticed how low my AHI and FL got. And no OA clusters without wearing a collar.

So, my best sleep is with DreamWisp and tape over mouth. No collars for now due to not so high with nasal mask, but it can reduce FL slightly more.

In order to avoid nasal congestion, I use humidifier on auto and eat at least 4 hrs before bed. I've started eating heathier to lose weight and don't eat so heavy meals and lighter for evening meals.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both and I can definitely say it's more comfortable to breathe with F20
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30 current user, looking for alternatives KSMatthew 22 4,232 1 hour ago
Last Post: Lanners
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 52 3,300 6 hours ago
Last Post: psinderbrand
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,583 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,977 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,983 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 300 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.