Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Back up rate and not breathing.
RE: Back up rate and not breathing.
Hi Me50, I think that I have found the right track here and am investing in it. The SSI is a time consuming process that would kick in right when I am ready to get back to work. I am looking forward to working again. I like working I just need sleep to heal every night. Construction work is kind of that way.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2014, 04:08 AM)goodonya Wrote: Hi Me50, I think that I have found the right track here and am investing in it. The SSI is a time consuming process that would kick in right when I am ready to get back to work. I am looking forward to working again. I like working I just need sleep to heal every night. Construction work is kind of that way.

I understand construction work. For some, SSI is time consuming but not for everyone. I know some that it takes a long time and others that it took a few months. The key is to get an SSI attorney or someone that does SSI filings and knows how to get it done. They don't charge but a small % of the back pay that you get. It would help you with your finances and help you with the expenses of your Apnea. But, you know your personal situation. The thing is, you can start the process because, even if you get to go back to work before it is finished, you are still going to get the back pay when it is approved. Just a suggestion. As I said, you know your situation better than anyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is a decision I have wrestled with. There are other things of course at age 58. it is hard not to notice that an SSI disabled and out beats most retirement plans now. It just comes down to not wanting to do it unless I just absolutely have to. 58 is still young even though I see lots of people popping off at this age. In fact I see a startling number cashing in right after retirement. That fact makes me a little not so eager to do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2014, 03:39 AM)goodonya Wrote: Epap min. 6, Epap max 12, Ps min, Ps max 10, max pressure 20,

BPM auto

Based on the script above, the good news is unless the machine sees a need to raise the pressure, your max on inhale (IPAP) will be a fair bit lower (PS MIN = ??), even if they set the min to '6', that would give you a high pressure of '12' to get used to (again, depending on if the machine cranks you up).

Granted I've been on my dream machine for 12+ years, but when mine raises my pressure, I do not even notice it as I am always deeply asleep when it happens.

Generally speaking, it is weird to read about a wonky machine, and one a DME states is OK, but isn't. But you are there and I am not, so taking what you say as fact, with the above script, and a good working ASV machine, I would say that your worst issue will be picking a mask you like. I would also suggest a recording Oximeter, I too have a CMS50F, as this will give both you and your new sleep dr a good way to verify that you O2 stats are staying where they need to be.

Please d keep us informed on what happens next?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
No one took an interest in my O2 stats after the initial sleep study.
When my situation with the 2nd machine of the same make and model was piling up and I had not cashed out my retirement IRA early I was thrashing about feeling pretty desperate. I still had not found this forum. I thought about whether oxygen would help.

I found a hyperbaric chamber operation in town and interviewed them about the idea of using that to heal the CSA. They looked into whether they could provide treatment and found that CSA is not one of the 14 things that hyperbaric treatment is prescribed for.

I found an old second hand oxygen concentrator and an oximeter and did some home experimentation. I had to give up though the concentrator needs the bed repoured I think. Anyway I asked the new sleep doctor about whether I might need oxygen he said no.

I did improve my sleep a little by finding a good calcium- magnesium supplement and taking a high dosage vitamin D every other day. I got that dialed in and that along with a sixteen hour sleep schedule is when some of the brain fog cleared enough to start getting some positive action going instead of floundering and frustration.

The sixteen hours of course is not all sleep but by the time it done I have slept enough that I got enough rest to not be dozing off anymore for the day. I get a 3 hour window of time after that that I can do a lot of physical stuff like errands and necessities and then it is wind down for the next few hours then out again.. It works for now but is not anything like what I considered life before. It is cool I am optimistic now. Soon I will be on a brand new machine getting some treatment again.
Post Reply Post Reply
The danger/risk to adding O2 is it is SO habit-forming! Your body becomes dependent on it very quickly, so it is usually one of the LAST options to try. Until you can get stable on a machine, and then show a history of desats - don't even bother thinking about it.

FYI - I use me for examples a lot... I recently was in and out of the hospital for becoming dangerously anemic, long story, but dealt with - point is, I am still anemic and it will take some time for my body to recover, meanwhile I can recreate this over and over - I sit for a while, then when I stand up, about 30-40 seconds later my HR spikes up, and I start panting like crazy and I desat into the low 60s/high 50s - this lasts 30 seconds or so, then I will slowly recover. Point is, DR knows, and expects me to have this until my anemia improves, but adding O2 is not even on the table - because if I sit still, or lay down, I can maintain 90+. It just feels horrible at the time.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Whoa Peter you have serious problems. I cannot help but wonder what your diet is like. Are you eating foods that have prebiotic affect like brown rice or whole grain rolled barley? If your gut does not contain the bacteria you need for good digestion you are in trouble.
It is not so easy getting a healthy gut if you have had massive antibiotics but it can be done. I am off topic sorry. The oxygen thing was interesting and I was desperate. As I calmed down and realized that I had not died yet even though I am not treated I moved on from the oxygen idea.
Finding this board is a huge help. Huge. I can now sort my way through the situation and get proper treatment. I see it as a lifesaver and am grateful as hell.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hehe - I wish it were that simple. I am on blood thinners for life. So I get my INR tested every four weeks like a good boy should. Back in NOV my INR came in a bit high (4.58), so they had me skip a few days, and restart.
Somewhere between then and now I started bleeding internally, by the time it got caught I was very anemic, hospital, pint of blood, now home and recovering. Combine this with my many other issues, and I get the above. Am told as the anemia gets better this will as well - so now I am waiting...

Post Reply Post Reply
Hang in there brother. That sounds like real trouble!
Post Reply Post Reply
My life is never boring Tongue
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,164 6 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 89 6 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 861 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,975 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.