Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Backing up ResScan data
RE: [split] Backing up ResScan data
Mick, you are having some fantastic results especially considering that you are just starting. Congratulations!!

As far as your SD cards go. I think your best option, if you are wanting a second SD card for backup is this:
Copy your primary-locked card to the second backup card via your computer. You can do this a couple different ways. I doubt that your computer has two SD slots. Simplest way in my opinion is to copy SD to a folder on your desktop. Eject the SD via windows then put in your unlocked backup card. Then drag/drop, copy paste to backup. This way you are really double safe-on SD card and on PC desktop. Then you can use your backup SD in Sleepyhead or Rescan without fear of data loss.

After you have met compliance and you have looked at data many times, you will become less intrigued with it all. I look at mine about twice a week now unless something weird happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
I saw this question asked but did not see any answer. If it was answered, please let me know anyway.

Can the sd card be removed from the machine while getting used to the machine? That is, when sitting in a chair as many recommend, would it hurt anything to remove the card so it does not record any data or will the machine save any data and write to the sd card later.

Hope that is clear as mud to everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2013, 11:47 AM)Blaifarm Wrote: I saw this question asked but did not see any answer. If it was answered, please let me know anyway.

Can the sd card be removed from the machine while getting used to the machine? That is, when sitting in a chair as many recommend, would it hurt anything to remove the card so it does not record any data or will the machine save any data and write to the sd card later.

I don't know why you would want to remove the SD card while you are using the machine to get used to it.

If the data is being transmitted to the DME via a device on the back of the machine, all data will be seen even if you remove the SD card. Also, the DME can look at the data on the LCD of your machine and see compliance data. IMHO, it is better if all the data matches.

BUT, to answer your question: If you remove your SD card and then use your machine, the data will not be on the card even if you put the SD card back in afterwards.

jgjones1972 Online

Master Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 - 20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS50I PulseOx

Sex: Male

RE: ResScan CPAP Reporting Software (current version: 4.3)

When you put the card back into the machine it will write most of the data to the card (compliance, summary and most detailed data including leak and AHI). The only thing that will be missing is the flow data (waveform flow graph) for the night you left the card out. This is because the internal memory on the S9 doesn't store the flow data, it writes it directly to SD. Most of the important stuff that you want to look at will be written to the card when you pop it back in.

please read jgjones post on this subject. According to the post, once you put your SD card back in, most of the data will be put on your SD card. I didn't know that and I didn't have that happen to me once when I left my SD card in the laptop. So, I am not sure what happens when an SD card is left out or removed and when put back in later.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2013, 11:47 AM)Blaifarm Wrote: I saw this question asked but did not see any answer. If it was answered, please let me know anyway.

http://www.s9morecomfort.com/s9morecomfo...ement.html

http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s9_ser...nc=dealers

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2013, 03:56 PM)elliott2 Wrote: I have an AutoSet S9 and I look at my data daily. The way I handle the data issue is I have a thumb drive and a spare SD Card and transfer the data from the ResMed SD Card to them and never use the ResMed SD Card for anything else. I power down the S9 and then remove the S9 data card. I write lock the data card and place it in the SD Card to USB adapter and then plug it into the desktop computer. I copy the data, starting with the 4 files in the root/top directory, of the ResMed data card to a directory in MyDocuments called ResMedSDCard. I then copy all of the data in SETTINGS into a directory under ResMedSDCard called SETTINGS, replacing the previous days info as this data changes daily. I then copy the last/latest eight files in the DATALOG directory into a sub-directory under ResMedSDCard called DATALOG adding to the growing list of files. This allows you to preserve the high resolution data on the desktop computer, the S9 will overwrite it after 7 days from what I've read. After I've ejected/dismounted the ResMed SD Card from the desktop I un-write protect it and place it back into the S9 and power it on.

Help
The boldface in elliott2's extracted post is mine.

I am starting to use both Sleepy Head and ResScan. I have used ResScam to import 3 days worth of data from the SD card I took out of the Auto Set machine, using the write-protect feature.

I wonder if you could clarify a couple of points in your above quote, which I boldfaced. My first questions relate only to ResScan.

First, I've already copied the four files you mentioned to the ResMedSDCard folder in My Documents. Is that fine or if not, what's the fix.

Second, I'm starting with 3 days of data, not just one; so, the recommendation to copy just the "last/latest eight files in the DATALOG directory" confuses me because when I look at the data, I have approximately 80 files (could have miscounted exact number) from each of the three days of data.

Can I just go ahead and copy/paste everything from the three days of data on the SD Card so that when I look at the pasted folders/files in the ResMedSDCard folder they look exactly the same in Windows Explore?

Unsure
Finally, when I go into the Download section of ResScan, and the Select button on the Device window where it lists "S9 Auto Set SD card / USB Flash Drive of drive G" and click the Select button a window pops up and shows a Device List that only contains one device, S9 Auto Set. There are 4 other places where devices can be listed, but on my ResScan, they all say No Device.

This would seem to imply that other devices could be used; however, when I first open Res Scan a "Quick Start" window pops up that says, [i]Device Detected - S9 Auto Set
. In addition it essentially says please search for or create a patient file you wish to associate with this download. I just close this window and go to "Open Patient" to download into my names patient file.

This pop up window did not detect the thumb drive device I just bought and inserted into the USB port so that's a surprise! I don't know about detecting your Card Reader with USB adapter (is it a ResMed device, and is that the only way to do what you do)?

So, we've talked a lot about backing up data, but my question is how do you get data into ResScan. And, how do you get your backups imported into ResScan
HelpHelp
Post Reply Post Reply

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this thread but I've been up to my ears in works related stuff for the year end close out.

I copy my data from the SD Card each day so if you are not doing it that frequently you will most likely have more files to copy. The 4 files in the root (or top) directory of the SD Card change daily (according to their time stamp) so I copy and replace each of those files daily. The 32 files in the SETTINGS directory also change daily so I also copy and replace them daily. The files in the root directory and the SETTINGS directory are not necessary to copy each day as they are summary files or configuration files and are changed daily by the S9.

The Files in the DATALOG directory are added to each day and I copy the new files daily. If you are not doing daily copies you want to copy the file you have not copied before. My goal is to have and retain all of the high flow or high sample rate data as well as the low sample rate data. The ResMed S9 removes the _BRP.edf data files (high sample rate data) that are older then 7 days and removes all the low flow data (_PLD.edf), event data (_EVE.edf) and oximeter data (_SAD.edf) after 30 days on the SD Card. What this means is that if you want to keep the high sample rate data files you must copy them at least every 7 days or else they are gone.

From what I've seen the S9 will accept most SD Card and never stores a hugh amount of data so the 2 gigabyte (Gb) card is sufficient. The SD Cards have several standards that apply to them with the larger cards (greater then 2Gb) a different standard. There is an SD Card (first flavor of card up to 2Gb size), SDHC Card (second/revised standard, up to 32Gb storage) and SDXC Card (latest standard, over 1 Tb of storage) that each are upward compatible but not downward compatible which means that you can read an SD Card in an SDHC or SDXC reader but not the other way around. My S9 came with an 2 Gb SD card and being that the S9 does not store that much data on a card there is probably no need for the SDHC capacity.

For me personally I do not do anything with the SD Card from the S9 except read it to copy it to my desktop hard drive and my thumb drive and usually I copy it to my desktop only and then copy from my desktop to the thumb drive. I believe that in order to have ResScan work with the thumb drive you need to have the same file structure on the thumb drive as the SD Card has. This means that in the root or top directory the 4 files STR.edf, STR.crc, Identification.tgt and identification.crc should be in this directory. I also believe that the SETTINGS directory needs to have the most current 32 files in it as well. I have not tried to leave older files in the SETTINGS and root directories to see what ResScan will do when it sees newer files in the DATALOG directory. I'm guessing it would not be a happy camper but I don't know.

So far my thumb drive has all of the high sample rate data files (_BRP.edf) and all of the low sample rate files (_EVE.edf, _PLD.edf and _SAD.edf) since day one of my S9 usage going on 50 plus and ResScan does not have a problem with the older files being on the card. It also has the ResMed documentation (clinicians manual, interpretation guide, and several other manuals for equipment and/or software) the ResScan Installer, SleepyHead Installer, EDFBrowser Installer and Oximeter software and all of the .pdf files from ResScan and SleepyHead also from day one. So for me, ResScan does not care about the extra data on the thumb drive but I'm guessing it is very picky about what it wants to see and I guessing the .crc files are part of that as well as the file layout or disk structure.

So to summarize my copying festivities I effectively make a backup of all of the changing or added data or files on the S9 data card onto my desktop and a thumb drive and then the desktop and thumb drive are my working data sources for the ResScan and Sleepyhead software. Sleepyhead will quite easily read the data from the hard drive on the desktop but I have not been able to convince ResScan to read the data from anywhere except a USB source (thumb drive, duplicate SD Card, etc). I have not tried an external hard drive on the USB port but that may work as long as the data structure or layout is the same.

When I start ResScan I've recently changed the startup to read the previous 5 days of high rate data and all of the summary data as the default, it seems to make the read time a little faster by not having o go through as much data. I also select discard duplicates when asked by ResScan as I don't want any of the previous data overwritten just in case something has changed on the S9 machine.

From what I've been able to determine the STR.edf file has the summary data in it from each day and I believe that this file is the file that has the yearly data stored in it. So far my file has 51 entries and I've had my machine for 51 days. The other file is called Identification.tgt and looks to be a clear text file that contains the information about the machine itself, serial number, software rev, build info, etc.

All of the files on the data card seem to have a .crc file with the same name and I think it's a pretty good guess that this is cyclic redundancy check data which is used to make sure the data on the card is not corrupted. There is lots of information on crc testing on the web if you need something to put you to sleep at night. In a very reduced generalization, you take all of the data and add it (or do some math function) together and then take the tail end of the giant number and use that as the test data. So to verify the data is good on the other end, you do the same function of adding and the check sum should be the same. If it is there is a pretty good chance the data is not corrupted. If the numbers don’t match there a pretty good chance the data is corrupted.

On the question about the download section of ResScan, when I open ResScan it finds the USB thumb drive automatically. There are other locations listed when you click on the select button but I believe those are for machines that are connected to serial ports and the like. Keep in mind that this software is used by DMEs that may have several machines hooked up to one computer at the same time download different patient data or have multiply CPAP type machine that use serial ports or other interfaces to collect their data. I don't recall if ResScan asked where the data was the first time I opened the program up, I don't think it did. My guess is that when you open ResScan it searches the available ports and drives until it finds the identification files and then says to itself "I've found a machine". I've tried copying the data to the root drive of the desktop hard drive and ResScan still asks for a data card or a machine to be hooked up to down load from so ResScan is looking for an external source of data.

Hopefully I've answered some of your questions but if I've missed andthing or need to clarify something feel free to ask.
Post Reply Post Reply
elliott2 and others:

Thank you for all the time and effort you put into all your posts, not just this last one. Words cannot describe how much I appreciate it, particularly since my sleep study and 4 days of S9 Auto Set data in ResScan show almost exclusively central apneas, and only ResScan, not Sleepy Head, break those out! If this holds true for the prescribed 30-day trial on the Auto Set, it looks like I'm going to a second sleep study, and some serious complications if that doesn't work out.
Unsure
I think I"could" be a super dunce. For example, all the trouble I've been having getting backup data into ResScan could be because I assumed that since you use the Download button in ResScan to get data from the SD Card into ResScan, you'd use the same button to get data from your backup into ResScan.

I now am considering that you use ResScan's Import button to get your backups into ResScan. When I click on the Import button I can browse to my external drive (and I assume a thumb drive, but I've already returned mine when it didn't appear in the ResScan's Download button).

So, am I correct that you use the Import button in ResScan to get your backups into it?

If you use the Download button, I'd be back to square one; so, just give me someplace to start on that, since I keep getting stumped when the thumb drive and/or external drive does NOT appear in the Device List to select from.

If you use the Import function, would you critique my following plan to use the Import function to get the backup data into ResScan:

First, would you advise 1) importing from my external drive which has lots and lots of free space or 2) going and re-buying a thumb drive to duplicate exactly what you do. If so, what make and model do you use. Also, what thumb drive capacity (since my five days of copy/pasting the 4 files and both SETTING and DATALOG folders take up 174 MBytes)?

Havng decided which USB storage to use, I'd implement the following plan, which I'd like you to critique:

1) For this initial backup, I'd copy the 4 files and the two folders (containing all five days of SD Card data) from drive G:\ [my computer's SD card slot] to C:\Mickey\My Documents\ResMedSDCard folder, on my computer.

2) Then, I'd copy/paste [duplicate] the same backup to my External Drive.

3) I assume you would recommend then opening ResScan and using the Import function and using its browse function to find the ResMedCard folder on the USB external drive (or thumb drive]

4) then when I see the ResMedSDCard folder, what do I select that will appear in ResScan's Import window as the last step before I hit the "return" key? ResScanSDCard?

5) If I double click on the ResScanSDCard folder I can now see the 2 folders and the 4 files; so, do I select one of them? That doesn't seem correct, but I could be wrong.

6) Now, my usual way of managing daily backups in Wndows and on my external drive, is to create a folder and name it say, "ResCan122313BkUp". Then, I just change the date to reflect each new day's data I backup.

7) If I do that kind of labeling and have a string of dated folders in the ResScanSDCard folder, whatever USB storage I use, would that work and be like what you do. Just tell me what I need in the ResScan browsing window to import reliably.

Post Reply Post Reply
SleepyHead does show the breakdown. You need to look at the left of the screen and click on events tab and it will show you the type of event and the time that the event happened. Now back to reading your post

EDIT: The detail tab will also show you which type of event you had.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2013, 04:20 PM)me50 Wrote: SleepyHead does show the breakdown. You need to look at the left of the screen and click on events tab and it will show you the type of event and the time that the event happened. Now back to reading your post

EDIT: The detail tab will also show you which type of event you had.

Ah...we meet up again.

Did what you said and clicked on the Event tab and got, "Clear Airway Event 24" I checked it in ResScan and I had 3.1 per hour for 7.33 hours that day for CA 22.7, close enough.

I also found SH easy to quickly check the number of CA's per day, while ResScan gives only the CA's per hour, adding that to OA's to get the AI index.
Thanks
Makes my life much much easier, just like you did when you recommended the WISP mask, which I love.

I noticed you had some posts in the "Complex Apnea" thread, so do you have any experience in dealing with someone with that challenge.

I'm not there yet, since my respiratory therapist wants to see another 10 days of data before considering a referral to the sleep doc; however, I typically have very few Obstructive Apnea events.

In addition, I substituted an "as needed" prescription for Temazepam (which I typically use to sleep with a coughing flu) for the drowsy edition of an antihistamine to grease the wheels for my first few nights getting used to the mask, breathing pressured air, etc.

I have an appointment with my family doc (who Rx the Temanepam) to see if it has a record of increasing central apneas.

Also, do you know what kinds of sleep meds increase or decrease central apneas?
Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2013, 01:03 AM)elliott2 Wrote: I copy my data from the SD Card each day so if you are not doing it that frequently you will most likely have more files to copy. The 4 files in the root (or top) directory of the SD Card change daily (according to their time stamp) so I copy and replace each of those files daily. The 32 files in the SETTINGS directory also change daily so I also copy and replace them daily. The files in the root directory and the SETTINGS directory are not necessary to copy each day as they are summary files or configuration files and are changed daily by the S9.

The Files in the DATALOG directory are added to each day and I copy the new files daily. If you are not doing daily copies you want to copy the file you have not copied before. My goal is to have and retain all of the high flow or high sample rate data as well as the low sample rate data. The ResMed S9 removes the _BRP.edf data files (high sample rate data) that are older then 7 days and removes all the low flow data (_PLD.edf), event data (_EVE.edf) and oximeter data (_SAD.edf) after 30 days on the SD Card. What this means is that if you want to keep the high sample rate data files you must copy them at least every 7 days or else they are gone.

Hopefully I've answered some of your questions but if I've missed anything or need to clarify something feel free to ask.

I-love-Apnea-Board

I'm attaching an image of my computer screen that shows ResScan's Import screen, where I used the browsing feature of ResScan's Import function to go to the ResScanSDCard folder on my computer's hard drive.

By way of explanation, the screen shot of where I browsed to in ResScan's Import functionshows the DATALOG and SETTINGS folders that I copied from the SD data card from last night's (12/26/13)use of the S9 Auto Set. Surprising to me,Unsure I don't see the 4 files you said needed to be copied each cay! ! ! If you look at the two attachments you'll see that the 4 files do, indeed, appear on my computer in the ResScanSDCard folder; however, they do not in the screen shot where I used ResScan's Import function!

However, they are included in the below framework I use for all my backups of any data; so, maybe I could just highlight one of the dated folders because under them are the 4 files?

Referring to the screen shot attachment:

The folder named ResScanSDCard122413 contains the DATALOG, SETTINGS, and 4 files from my sleep on 12/24/13--as well as my sleep from 12/19/13 through 12/24/13!

The folder named [b]ResScanSDCard12/26/13
contains the DATALOG, SETTINGS, and 4 files I copied from last night's (12/26/13) SD data card and pasted into the named folder. I would expect they would contain data from 12/20/13 through 12/26/13.
[More on this below, since 12/19/13 "probably" isn't included, and I'm too chicken to test it without being able to successfully import ANY backups, yet!]

Check me out on this, if I can only highlight one item, and I want to make sure I get the high resolution data beginning on 12/19/13 (my first day's import into ResScan), would I not choose ResScan122413. That would capture the everything from the 12/19/13 night.
Idea

However, if I highlighted ResScanSDCard122613, I would lose 12/19/13 high resolution data because last night was the 8th day I imported data into ResScan!

That would seem to be true because RedMed puts out the information that the high resolution data is deleted after 7 days.

At some point, once I am successful in importing ANY backup data into ResScan (rather than just using ResScan's Import function to import straight from the SD Card), I guess I could try it, but I'm afraid to import ANY further data from the SD Card! ! !

Am I correct in all the above, and the bottom line is that I just do the following:

1) highlight ResScanSDCard122413, and I would then be looking at detailed data in ResScan from 12/19/13 through 12/24/13?

2) highlight ResScanSDCard12/26/13 and import it if I wanted to look at data from the night of 12/26/13!

Finally, if all the above isRolling laugh to funny to be true, what exactly should I do at this point.

P.S. I still have questions about why only copy the "last/latest 8 files" in the DATALOG folder, but that for another day, unless importing anything from my screen shot won't work.

Bed
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 72 8 hours ago
Last Post: Ibrumley
  ResScan 7 help! [password issues] DakotaNorth 2 93 03-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Cannot import data from ResMed Astral 150 to ResScan or OSCAR BreatheEZ 8 2,335 03-16-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Does ResScan delete detailed logs/records from the SD card after downloading them? Determinism 5 179 03-15-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  ResScan 7.1 nawolfor 2 373 02-26-2024, 10:29 PM
  NOTICE: ResScan 7.1 Software now available [for ResMed machines only] SuperSleeper 0 430 02-26-2024, 10:27 PM
  Viatom/WellUE data is different than OSCAR displayed data GordK 3 289 02-23-2024, 04:48 PM
Last Post: GordK

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.