Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Backing up data
Backing up data
How do folks keep their xPAP data backed up?

Do you transfer the files from the card and put in a monthly folder? Or do you just backup what SH or ResScan has?

I am one of those folks who can kill digital devices if I handle them too much. The 5.25" floppies, if I touched more than twice, it was dead. 3.25" disks were better but I couldn't carry them in a pocket or in my hand for too long. I kill digital watches, too. So far, I've not killed a USB drive but I don't carry one in my pocket or key chain or anything like that. Handling the SD card every day has me nervous. Right now, I take my laptop into the bedroom and download there vs carrying the card through the house twice.

So that's why I am looking at the best way to keep a backup copy of my data.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Backing up data
I back up my ResScan patient folder, and I have successfully restored the backed up folder to ResScan several times. I have a Mac and I am using Bootcamp and Windows 7 to run ResScan and a handful of games. I wanted to try one of the preview editions of Windows 8, so I backed up my ResScan data, reformatted, installed Windows 8, reinstalled ResScan, and restored my patient folder. Then I got disgusted with Windows 8 after a week, so I backed up my ResScan data again, Ghosted my computer back to Windows 7, and restored the data. ResScan recognizes the restored data automatically.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! Good to know it works.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Don't forget S9's erase some of the data from the SD card after 7 days. However, how much do you really care about airflow waveforms and the "high resolution" data for old sessions. If something of note happened, you'd probably have read the data.

I copy the whole SD card to a directory with today's date when I mess with the data. I probably lose the high resolution data for quite a few nights because I don't bother to read the card that often if nothing is going on.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don,t know anything about copying but why one need to back anything
The S9 SD card (Autoset and Elite) stores 365 days of stats and compliance data
30 days of detailed data (graphs)
7 days of high resolution flow data

For me download in the morning or every few days so not to loose any high flow data
Once download and checked the data ... it becomes an old news .... Hope it would be better tomorrow Dreaming

Post Reply Post Reply
I like Zonk's therory... It all old news and the card will keep the data for much longer then ever needed. I don;t need any saved data to prove compliance to anyone.

I do a weekly download in SleepyHead and then transfer data to a homemade spreadsheet, which is monthly saved to a flash drive. Why??? I guess I'm just fascinated by the statical looks. Maybe it just curiosity!!!
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2012, 04:08 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: How do folks keep their xPAP data backed up?

>I am one of those folks who can kill digital devices if I handle them
> too much. The 5.25" floppies, if I touched more than twice, it was
>dead.

Laugh-a-lot My good lady, you are showing your age.
Then again I guess with sleep apnea very few are spring chickens.
When my late father in law dumped off his Apple //c on us I looked everywhere for a usable 5¼" disk for it. Nope. Even other veterans of the early/mid 1980's computer scene. I asked them. Nope. Long gone.

>3.25" disks were better but I couldn't carry them in a pocket or in
> my hand for too long. I kill digital watches, too.

How did you EVER manage to log on? Too-funny

> Handling the SD card every day has me nervous. Right now, I take
> my laptop into the bedroom and download there vs carrying the
> card through the house twice.

Use a modem connection?

>So that's why I am looking at the best way to keep a backup copy
>of my data.

As I've noted before, not a lot of space is needed to store data.
You can stuff the whole SD content into a subdirectory on your hard drive. Doesn't take up much room. As it accumulates? Still, it can be saved to a DVD. I have a different case. My S8 loaner doesn't use SD drives. I jotting down the daily readings in a journal. See what I come up with at the end of the three weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I just take the card out, download the data into both programs, then put the card back in. The less time I touch it, the better.

In college I worked in a computer lab for two quarters. They had to move me elsewhere because I kept killing the disks. Modern computers have nothing to fear from me but caution around them is always a good thing.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Getting way off topic RE: Backing up data
(11-18-2012, 08:03 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: No, I just take the card out, download the data into both programs, then put the card back in. The less time I touch it, the better.

In college I worked in a computer lab for two quarters. They had to move me elsewhere because I kept killing the disks. Modern computers have nothing to fear from me but caution around them is always a good thing.

Reminds me of high school days. My Atari system had piGrinGrin poor data capacity on its disks but the "FAT" management was quite advanced. I tried to use the Commodore PET disks at school with the same recklessness I did at home and trashed many of my classmate's files. Ah the good old days.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure if these software programs utilize "hidden files", but if they do, you might want to select "see hidden files" in your folder options prior to copying the files onto other media. Sometimes hidden files are necessary to transfer if you ever want to import that data back into the software in the future. If you don't select the option to "see" those hidden files, they will not get transferred.

Not sure if this is the case with either SleepyHead or ResScan, however... Dont-know
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,632 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 884 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] Data showing clear airway apneas: central apnea or soft palate collapse? Data inc. JamesD0079 0 796 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Dreamstation CPAP vs Aircurve BiPap data? Data over time for Insp/Exp? Desiree 12 2,271 05-20-2020, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Equipment] Backing up ResMed 10 Data under Mac OS X - same for ResMed S9? mishld 2 970 04-09-2019, 01:38 PM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  IF I insert an SD card to get data for Sleepyhead will my ResMed still send data theMezz 3 2,063 04-20-2018, 07:52 PM
Last Post: theMezz
  Data viewer for 960 BiPAP AutoSV / Missing data pswartz 5 4,049 10-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Last Post: pswartz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.