Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Backstrap Issue - Nuance Gel Pillow Mask
Backstrap Issue - Nuance Gel Pillow Mask
Apologies if this has been dealt with in another post.

There has been a fair amount of discussion on this forum about the deterioration of the back strap on the Nuance fabric frame mask. It turns black and gets sticky and squishy over time.

I swear I'm going to have no hair remaining on the back of my head after pulling it off in the morning. And believe me, I have little to spare.

Is anybody aware whether Respironics has remedied this issue? I'm just about due for a new mask, and as much as I love this mask otherwise, I'm not sure if i want to deal with this issue again!

Thanks in advance
Stay Calm, Be Brave, Wait for the Signs
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Backstrap Issue - Nuance Gel Pillow Mask
Had one two months ago, same bat station, same bat channel, no correction as they claim it helps keep it in place.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Damn! That's disappointing. I really do like this mask, guess I'm about to find out how much.

Anybody have ideas about a substitute that is close to the Nuance?
Stay Calm, Be Brave, Wait for the Signs
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a situation with the back strap on my ResMed Mirage Quattro full face mask....talk about a pain in the neck! I read on this forum a few weeks ago someone mentioned placing a thick soft sock under the strap. I did and now have no problems with mine. Maybe this would work or at least help your situation?
Post Reply Post Reply
I got a new mask about a month ago and the back strap is doing just fine. Right out of the box, it wasn't nearly as tacky/sticky feeling. It's not turned black and has not gotten sticky. Yay!

I really love this mask and was so disappointed in that strap. I had some old fleece I was going to use as covers.

If you get one and it feels just the same, pack it up and send it back. Tell the supplier you know it has been fixed and to send you a new one.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
So is there actually a new design for this Paula? Cause my old one did the same, j/w.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, there seems to be. This latest one is nothing like the other three I have had. It has not turned black and doesn't even stick to itself except when at the edges when I take it off in the morning. The others would stick to itself like velcro.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I take it this is the Nuance Fabric one you're talking about turning black and sticky?
I have had two of the Nuance Pro with the Gel pads and after you gently wash them a couple of times the pads literally fall out of the mask. They class it as wear and tear. After 8 weeks of use it's wear and tear?
I was going to order a fabric one to use up all the extra pillows I have
Now I'm not so sure.
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting to know they changed that back strap, it was one of the reasons I traded it in for the P10. I don't think I could even go back to it now after the P10 though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bompa, this is the back strap on both the Pro and the non-Pro. I only used the Pro one once. I could not stand those hot gel pads on my skin. And yes, they fell out after just a few washings.

Galactus, I'm glad you found a mask you like. That's the hardest part of this thing. Each mask has it's pros and cons. Each of us have to balance those in deciding which is best for us based on where we are and what we are willing and unwilling to tolerate.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 45 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 113 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 159 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,414 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,376 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 105 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 667 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.