Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Backup Battery Recommendation for High Pressure and Humidity
RE: Backup Battery Recommendation for High Pressure and Humidity
@Sleeprider, agreed, I was remiss in not mentioning the need for a fused line.  This is extremely important for any high capacity battery!  Batteries can store a lot of energy, so fuses are essential for your safety.
Post Reply Post Reply
Now how clean is the power coming off of the battery? The reason I ask is because there would be no battery management system or any kind of IC to regulate power delivery other than the dc 12 to 24 up converter I guess
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2020, 02:19 PM)Johnnyde94 Wrote: I wonder if the aircurve will turn back on and give pressure after a power outage or if it will only turn back on and I would have to get up and turn it back on.

My ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset has an auto-start option that I have set to On.  When it senses me breathing, it auto-starts.  Personally, my breathing is strong enough with a nasal pillow to trigger the auto-start; but my breathing in a FFM is not strong enough to trigger the auto-start.  

I believe my DreamStation Auto also has this feature.  Unfortunately, I can't breathe strongly enough (even when I try) to trigger it to turn on.

So regarding your question, I'd recommend you see if your machine has this function, and if so then turn it on.  Then when the power goes out and the battery thing turns on, as you're breathing the machine will sense that and will automatically turn on.
Post Reply Post Reply
The more I read these two threads, the more I like the looks of the maxoak. Simple. Safe. If I can get by with passive humidifier, it will last 5 nights or more; with low humidity and no heated hose, 2 to 2 1/2 nights. That should work. I realize that I don't need a backup battery that's always connected in case the power goes off in the middle of the night because the mask I use allows me to breathe when the cpap is off. No danger of sufforcating. Getting up and plugging into the battery is not that tough. My guess is that I can find a source for recharging if I need longer than the worst case scenario of 2 nights. For camping, this would be easy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2020, 06:16 PM)hegel Wrote: The more I read these two threads, the more I like the looks of the maxoak. Simple. If I can get by with passive humidifier, it will last 5 nights or more; with low humidity and no heated hose, 2 to 2 1/2 nights. That should work. I realize that I don't need a backup battery that's always connected in case the power goes off in the middle of the night because the mask I use allows me to breathe when the cpap is off. No danger of sufforcating. Getting up and plugging into the battery is not that tough. My guess is that I can find a source for recharging if I need longer than the worst case scenario of 2 nights. For camping, this would be easy.

That would have been my first choice, too.  But my husband beat me to it, and bought a Jackery.

There is a solar charger (purchased separately) for the Jackery.  I like that option for recharging it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I added "safe" to my description and that's important to me because I'm out to sea when it comes to electronics.
Post Reply Post Reply
The recommended fused setup is safe. It admittedly looks like more of a science project, but it is safe.  There's a few bits and piece to it, and if you are uncomfortable with that then I don't recommend it.  In terms of both cost and length of battery backup time, Sleeprider's suggestion is great choice.  I sure wouldn't want to backpack with it, but if you are home and there was a power interruption for several days the marine battery would hold up very well, even with some active humidification.  Good luck with your choice.  Either will work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Johnny, you asked how "clean" the DC power source is. Your machine runs on 24 volt DC power, and the Resmed or aftermarket adapters simply up-convert 12 to 24 volts DC. As long as you don't use an inverter to make the power AC, the DC power in inherently clean, although if an electric motor is connected to the circuit in addition to the CPAP, then a ferrite core might be needed to reduce any magnetic noise. AC power is converted to either a sine-wave or square-wave AC at 60 Hz and that has the potential to be "noisy", but your AC adapter converts the power back to DC, and I'm not aware of any problem in using a DC source with an inverter, other than the fact it is incredibly inefficient.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok I should have known that lol being the device used DC and not AC and a battery is the cleanest way to run. I guess my confusion was with the 12v to 24v and the lack of a BMS
Post Reply Post Reply
Batteries are inherently low noise. NIST has measured them and published their results. If anything, BMS can make things worse by injecting noise due to their electronics.

The 12V/24V converters have low enough noise as to not bother the PAP machine. Comparatively speaking, the noise due to the battery is well over 1000 times less than the converter noise. It might even be a million times lower. But the converter's noise does not bother the PAP. In either case, the battery noise is so low as compared to the converter, it's not relevant.

For hold up time, what's relevant is efficiency. For longest use time, use the most efficient DC/DC converter. The one suggested is fine. Get it and keep on PAPping!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 98 2 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 119 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 126 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 700 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 106 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 118 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.