Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Backup Systems both home and portable
RE: Backup Systems both home and portable
(09-26-2017, 01:07 AM)srlevine1 Wrote: Not to be facetious, but a nuclear EMP would fry all of your electronics. If not an EMP, then I would be more worried about a supply of Potassium Iodide tablets and a way to avoid the fallout and decontaminate myself and my supplies. A Geiger counter would be nice. As for a Puerto Rico kind of regional disaster -- there is no such thing as sharing as your capabilities would be exhausted in a matter of hours. The preparation for that type of disaster should be to be mobile enough to move out of the affected area and into an area where you can reestablish an income flow and be able to live without emergency restrictions.

Actually, I was thinking more that I'd get vaporized in a direct nuclear hit, and wouldn't therefore have to manage a CPAP. A bigger concern is if the electric grid gets taken out for an extended period of time.

An infrastructure hack would present similar obstacles.

In emergencies, people have a general tendency to be supportive of one another. Sometimes, there's a trade off between sharing and consuming. A solar panel would reduce the conflict between those two things, since the power source would be repetitively re-chargeable. Letting someone else recharge a phone for 15 minutes may be exactly that kind of situation.

Puerto Rico is not a situation where you can leave. Same is true for many other catastrophes: there's no warning and you're stuck in place.

I have lived with scarce electricity....
Post Reply Post Reply
Great idea about color-coding the cables.

Thanks for the tip on the DC-DC converter. I'll use that with the Yeti.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bobd94109,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and figuring out your backup situation.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2017, 07:47 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: [quote pid='224644' dateline='1506404005']
If you have an interest, I can go into more detail as to calculating current draw or even measuring current.  You may search some of my other posts because I've already done several.

OMMOHY

[/quote]

What are you doing about connectors? I am thinking about switching everything over to Anderson PowerPole Color-coded connectors using some of the slick products from Powerwerx like the cigarette connection to powerpole.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I LOVE me some PowerPoles! I once got to the point where I'd think up projects just so I could use them. Actually, I started out with hooking up a battery to run a GPS in the antique plane that lacked any electrical system. Then I graduated to an infatuation with backup power for my CPAP and I'll admit, I went overboard (have the big 140 w solar panel and controller/charger to refill the batteries). All of that kind of led me into the radio hobby...

Be careful! They get addictive.

The TriCrimp tool is a must.

Everything I have that is DC wired has a PowerPole connection on it that eliminated pretty much all the OEM connectors provided with anything. Heck, I've even bought cheap lamps at Target and snipped the plug to install power poles - I found 12 V LED bulbs and they run fine in those lamps (another hack I got from a pal in Floiduh - clamp-on worklights with the bowl shaped aluminium shade from the hardware store using the 12 V LED bulbs for outage situations for light focused where you need it).

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 57 5,612 03-07-2024, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 185 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  REM and Sleep Stage Tracking at Home rwelliot 15 5,282 02-26-2024, 03:49 AM
Last Post: DebJ
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 845 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 44 3,984 01-28-2024, 11:40 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 235 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
  I cannot fall asleep with my bipap/home ventilator. Hypoglossal nerve stimulator? Jay51 220 14,183 01-17-2024, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.