Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Backup battery advice requested
Backup battery advice requested
Hello everyone.  I hope you are having a good weekend so far.  I was looking for some help.  I just purchased this backup battery for my Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset machine specifically for camping or at home if there are significant power outages.  I am wondering if I made a good choice or not.  I don't think, based on my research that this could run the Airsense with humidifier or the heated hose but would it be possible to get a full night of use out of it with those things turned off?  The only thing I am concerned about is that this battery is rated at 33ah and I think on the resmed site they were recommending a 50ah battery?  I thought this one was already pretty big but I'm a bit uncertain now if I made the right choice or not.  Would you be able to help me?  Thanks in advance!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Backup battery advice requested
(03-04-2017, 08:48 PM)Marillion Wrote: Hello everyone.  I hope you are having a good weekend so far.  I was looking for some help.  I just purchased this backup battery for my Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset machine specifically for camping or at home if there are significant power outages.  I am wondering if I made a good choice or not.  I don't think, based on my research that this could run the Airsense with humidifier or the heated hose but would it be possible to get a full night of use out of it with those things turned off?  The only thing I am concerned about is that this battery is rated at 33ah and I think on the resmed site they were recommending a 50ah battery?  I thought this one was already pretty big but I'm a bit uncertain now if I made the right choice or not.  Would you be able to help me?  Thanks in advance!

A few comments ...

(1) If you decide to use the unit you purchased, use the 12v connection and not the 110v AC option to preserve battery life. Make sure you have the right ResMed DC Power Converter.  
(2) I have tested a similarly-configured unit and it gave me approximately 14-1/2 hours (AirSense AutoSet, pressure 12-15.6, no ClimateLine, and no humidifier).
(3) It took two charges and died. Apparently my unit did not have "deep-cycle" batteries
(4) I consulted with a manufacturer (located nearby) of a well-known brand name who produces similar devices and sent the ResMed specs to their engineering department. They claimed that they did not want to formally endorse the use of any product in a medical setting because they lacked FDA testing and quality assurance. And, they claimed that these devices were not recommended for my intended purpose.
(5) This subject has been addressed by others in depth elsewhere. See the Supersleeper thread at: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...up+battery

Best of luck with your battery implementation.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Marillion, there are many threads that address battery use when off the grid. Many make them up themselves to keep the cost down. I chose the easy, but expensive way--a battery pack made for CPAPs. It can go usually 2 nights on my PR machine--RedMed uses more power because you must use a ResMed converter. It will not run the humidifier or heated hose. I use pass-over humidification when we are out in our travel trailer--water in the humidifier tub but no heat.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for the reply!  I will read through that thread you posted.

(03-04-2017, 10:36 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: Marillion, there are many threads that address battery use when off the grid.  Many make them up themselves to keep the cost down.  I chose the easy, but expensive way--a battery pack made for CPAPs.  It can go usually 2 nights on my PR machine--RedMed uses more power because you must use a ResMed converter.  It will not run the humidifier or heated hose.  I use pass-over humidification when we are out in our travel trailer--water in the humidifier tub but no heat.

Thanks side sleeper.  Maybe that is the route I need to go also...  Can I ask what the exact model of pack it was that you purchased?
Post Reply Post Reply
These units are based on starter batteries, and are a relatively heavy solution with integrated power inverter. Looks like a nice unit, but I don't know if it is suitable for deep cycle duty. You will get much longer service not using an inverter, and using DC power, but you will need the Resmed adapter at about $80. If weight is not an issue, get a deep cycle battery for wheelchairs. For example the Duracell Ultra Deep Cycle GEL SLA Battery 12V 31AH DURG12-31J is less than $100. An Optima Batteries 8016-103 is 55 amp-hours and about as good a battery as there is. at under $200.

If you want a portable Li-Ion battery with 32 a-hr capacity, the PowerAdd Pilot Pilot Pro 32000 mAh is about $109 on Amazon and has proven itself running CPAPs for over 2 days on a single charge without heated hose or humidifier. This is less than 5 lbs.

All battery choices require a Resmed DC Adapter for your machine to up-convert 12 volt power to 24 volts DC for your machine.

To calculate battery draw, see the Resmed Battery Guide. http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/a...lo_eng.pdf
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Marillion, I used Supplier #1 (see link at top of forum page) because they were the least expensive at the time--about $260. I see now they are less expensive and they have a second economy model by the same manufacturer: Battery Power Solutions (BPS). The model is C-100.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2017, 11:00 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: These units are based on starter batteries, and are a relatively heavy solution with integrated power inverter. Looks like a nice unit, but I don't know if it is suitable for deep cycle duty. You will get much longer service not using an inverter, and using DC power, but you will need the Resmed adapter at about $80. If weight is not an issue, get a deep cycle battery for wheelchairs. For example the Duracell Ultra Deep Cycle GEL SLA Battery 12V 31AH DURG12-31J is less than $100.  An Optima Batteries 8016-103 is 55 amp-hours and about as good a battery as there is. at under $200.  

If you want a portable Li-Ion battery with 32 a-hr capacity, the PowerAdd Pilot Pilot Pro 32000 mAh is about $109 on Amazon and has proven itself running CPAPs for over 2 days on a single charge without heated hose or humidifier.  This is less than 5 lbs.

All battery choices require a Resmed DC Adapter for your machine to up-convert 12 volt power to 24 volts DC for your machine.

To calculate battery draw, see the Resmed Battery Guide. http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/a...lo_eng.pdf

Awesome info Sleeprider.  Thank you very, very much!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 73 8 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 250 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,778 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,815 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.