Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Backup power options for CPAP machines
RE: Backup power options for CPAP machines
:thanks:   So how did it go.  What are you using now.  Interested to hear all about you're experience
Post Reply Post Reply
After using my Medistrom dual battery configuration for over a year, I thought I would provide an update on my experience.  I have yet to have a power outage and therefore have not had to rely on the batteries as backup power.  However, I did perform a test to determine if these would work under maximum current draw.  I connected my ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt as I normally would but without the mask attached.  I then unplugged the S9 power supply from the wall.  The CPAP continued to run as if nothing happened.  About an hour later, the secondary battery was completely drained.  About an hour after that, the primary battery was completely drained and the alarm sounded.

Again, I would like to point out that this is a worst-case scenario.  I highly doubt anyone would be continuously using maximum CPAP pressure.  Since the VPAP Adapt is designed to adjust pressure as needed, my earlier post speculating about five hours of backup usage for my situation seems reasonable.

Also, it is worth pointing out that Medistrom has discontinued its Pilot-24 Plus battery (and Co-Pilot).  It now sells what it calls Pilot-24 Lite (also indicated in other threads).  It is lighter than its predecessor, has slightly less power and does not yet have a Co-Pilot equivalent.  In other words, you can use one and only one battery at a time.

As of this writing, there were still new Pilot-24 Plus batteries for sale on eBay.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
Well, since we're updating,
I built my rig (from page 3) around a year ago as well.  
A PWRGATE PG40S mounted on a Minn Kota Trolling Motor power center (batt box with 2 12v cig lighter outputs).  Power supply to the PS input, deep cycle battery to the BATT, and the output to the cig lighter plugs on top of the box, where the Dreamstations plug in with OEM 12v cords.
We have 2 Dreamstations running on it nightly.  There have been a few brief outages and, happily, there is zero noticeable lag in switchover, so we don't wake up. 
More importantly, we had a significant outage a month or so ago.  Power was out for 2 full nights.  This rig powered both units for both nights, humidifiers and all, with no complaints.

My wife thinks I'm a danged genius, lol...
Post Reply Post Reply

Resmed Airsence 10 Elite, slim line tubing, pressure 16, Humidifier at 4

Just thought on a cheaper Battery back-up for home or camping use

Looking at the spec. sheet of Resmed electrical  draw (16 pressure, 40AH, 3.33 amps )

This battery should be go for 90 hrs is this correct

Thank You
Mike

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
In my situation, living in the Sierra mtns @ 4K ft, I'm in need of a backup solution other than the generator - which I have but would normally turn off before going to sleep. (a generator running solely for a CPAP seems overkill.) Our power outages can be days long, but mostly are ~ 2 or 3 days.  (Almost 3 wks down in the El Nino year 1997.) I could recharge the battery backup for the APAP - using the generator during the day. I have a DreamStatiom APAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am wondering if my calculations are right, does anyone have a electrical back ground
you have the 2 attachments and the thumbnail
and what draw the AirSense 10 has

Thanks
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2018, 03:16 PM)purpleh2 Wrote: I am wondering if my calculations are right, does anyone have a electrical back ground
you have the 2 attachments and the thumbnail
and what draw the AirSense 10 has

Thanks
Mike

There is no way that booster pack has a capacity of 300 ah it just has the ability to provide upto 300 Amps for a short period of time. I would be very surprised if the battery in there is rated at 10 to 12 amp hrs, but with the specifications you posted it does just not provide sufficient information

If you look at the size and weight of a large leisure battery that has the capacity of 120 amp hrs you can see how your calculations are flawed sorry as to have 300ah it would need to be 3x the size and weight
Post Reply Post Reply

Thank You Jaswilliams

I looked at it more closely and the table supplied, and its J312B ---  7 aH, so if lucky maybe last 2 hrs.
So looking at the picture, model Number JUS500B is rated 19 AH  and my air sense 10 is 3.3 aH
so it should just a little over 5.7 hours if prefect conditions, if not  maybe 4.5- 5 hrs

Thanks again for you reply
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,793 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,337 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  csa machines cexer 1 76 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 202 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 678 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 229 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 250 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.