Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Backup power options for CPAP machines
RE: Backup power options for CPAP machines
Wow, that looks like a great product!  It seems Australia is way ahead of everyone else in the world when it comes to sleep apnea solutions.  Apparently, that can also be claimed for the backup power options.  I wish I were aware of this product before making my own purchase.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2017, 06:44 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: For the cost, I could get ten 35 Ah AGM batteries.  Yes they are heavier, but every bit as capable and I would get 350 AH as opposed to approx 33 Ah capacity from ONE of these. 

OMMOHY

OMMOHY (and any others):  for a car battery that is still in my car,  can I use it for one 8-hr night, without damaging the battery?   I've got the ResMed Airsense 10 autoset, and the manufacturer adapter for a cigarette lighter usage.   I know it's okay in my teardrop trailer (deep cycle battery)  but if I only have the car with me, can I sleep in the car and run the Airsense 10 overnight? 

The car would get 5 hours driving the next day, to recharge it.   I never turn on my heated hose (making it effectively a dumb hose) and I don't use humidity.  Pressure about 12.
Post Reply Post Reply
I made my own backup power box with a 55AH SLA AGM battery inside of a plastic ammunition box. On the outside of the box is an automotive power port for the CPAP and two USB ports for phone charging. I also use a Resmed S9, standard hose, no humidifier, and have tested the box for three nights successfully. I could probably get at least three more, I should think before charging becomes a necessity. To keep the cost down I did not install an auto-switching device like the West Mountain Powergate. A switch like that is a nice enhancement, but if your power rarely goes out you may not need to consider spending the extra money.

I also use Resmed's DC power adaptor for the S9. This adaptor costs about as much as the battery but it obviates the need to use an AC inverter, thus getting many more hours out of the battery.

If you are handy with a few tools (primarily a drill with a hole saw) you can construct a setup similar to this for under $300. It weighs about 42 pounds, so it's primarily a backup solution for home use or taking with you in the car.
Post Reply Post Reply
BGD -

Car batteries are designed to dump a lot of current all at one time (usually many thin plates with electrolyte between them). They do high current, but shallower discharges, and get charged right back up by the alternator (or generator if anyone still has a VW Bug). Deep cycle batteries are made differently (fewer, thicker plates) that allow deeper discharge over longer periods without damaging the plates.

The car battery would probably work in a pinch. With your relatively low pressure setting and not using the humidifier, I doubt there would be much damaging drain over a night (I could be wrong and wouldn't want to have to rely on a battery start the next morning without a ready charging source or set of jumper cables (ever experienced a dead battery after leaving radio and interior car lights on overnight?)).

For a deeper high-level discussion, you might check http://www.chem.hawaii.edu/uham/bat.html - it generalizes and says most car starting batteries run about 45 Ah capacity (a big YMMV applies here). If so, RM's Battery guide says you should draw about 1.06 amps at a setting of 12 so an 8 hour night would hypothetically draw almost 20% of your battery's capacity ((1.06 amps*8 hours)/45 Ah = 18.8%) - if the Hawaii university site's speculation on battery capacity is right. Batteries are considered discharged at about 50ish%. So if you're comfortable with that ....

I wouldn't want to do it much though. And I am talking using your RM 12-24 V DC-DC converter, not an inverter so you could just plug in your normal power supply.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I measured my ResMed A10 as only drawing 10 watts with humidity and heat off, pressure 7.  With everything on, it was 54 watts.  This is AC, measured at the wall plug.

My inverter is 90% efficient so considering the low consumption I have not looked into connecting the machine directly to my 24v batteries.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2017, 01:07 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote:
(09-30-2017, 06:44 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: For the cost, I could get ten 35 Ah AGM batteries.  Yes they are heavier, but every bit as capable and I would get 350 AH as opposed to approx 33 Ah capacity from ONE of these. 

OMMOHY

OMMOHY (and any others):  for a car battery that is still in my car,  can I use it for one 8-hr night, without damaging the battery?   I've got the ResMed Airsense 10 autoset, and the manufacturer adapter for a cigarette lighter usage.   I know it's okay in my teardrop trailer (deep cycle battery)  but if I only have the car with me, can I sleep in the car and run the Airsense 10 overnight? 

The car would get 5 hours driving the next day, to recharge it.   I never turn on my heated hose (making it effectively a dumb hose) and I don't use humidity.  Pressure about 12.
BadGoodDeb, you can do that without damaging the battery. The problem may be that your car won't start in the morning with the charge that is left.
Some cars require the battery to be very full. It depends on your car and how new the battery is. You may need a boost in the morning, or put it on a charger for a bit. Try it sometime when you can make sure you won't get stranded.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, OMMOHY and Mogy.  I have a 1 year old MINI Cooper Clubman S.  I hope it's still a pretty good battery (I just bought it June 30, a year used).

I'm planning a 2 day drive over Thanksgiving, sleeping in the back of the car in between.   Ditto for the return trip, after staying only 1 day.  I always park & sleep at a highway rest stop, so I wouldn't be *too* stranded, though I'd rather not have to get a jump.  I do carry cables.

I'm driving to a brother, to get help installing a hitch.  After it's installed, I'll do this kind of trip with a tiny 4x8 teardrop trailer, which has a deep cycle battery that I feel more confident in.   But until the hitch is installed, I can't do that!   (I installed the last three hitches myself, but am gaining arthritis, so don't want to start it and not be able to finish.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2017, 01:11 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: I'm planning a 2 day drive over Thanksgiving, sleeping in the back of the car in between.   Ditto for the return trip, after staying only 1 day.  I always park & sleep at a highway rest stop, so I wouldn't be *too* stranded, though I'd rather not have to get a jump.  I do carry cables.

You might shorten the life of your battery doing this, but to what extent I don't know. It's a risk I take as a last resort and my vehicle will start the next day. You have the jumper cables if needed, the only other thing you might do is carry an extra battery just in case, especially if the one you have now is more than a couple years old.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2017, 11:25 PM)TRzzz Wrote: I made my own backup power box with a 55AH SLA AGM battery inside of a plastic ammunition box. On the outside of the box is an automotive power port for the CPAP and two USB ports for phone charging. I also use a Resmed S9, standard hose, no humidifier, and have tested the box for three nights successfully. I could probably get at least three more, I should think before charging becomes a necessity. To keep the cost down I did not install an auto-switching device like the West Mountain Powergate. A switch like that is a nice enhancement, but if your power rarely goes out you may not need to consider spending the extra money.

I also use Resmed's DC power adaptor for the S9. This adaptor costs about as much as the battery but it obviates the need to use an AC inverter, thus getting many more hours out of the battery.

If you are handy with a few tools (primarily a drill with a hole saw) you can construct a setup similar to this for under $300. It weighs about 42 pounds, so it's primarily a backup solution for home use or taking with you in the car.

Yes, I have in mind to build something like this, but it is just getting the right battery and box.
I intend taking it with me camping and it can also serve as a backup power supply.
Only annoying thing is Resmed S10 runs on 24Vdc.
I was offered two machines and I chose the 24Vdc one, if I had though about it I might have gone for the other.
Pity I didn't think about it, or it was mentioned to me when I picked the machine up.
I think I will build something, I am not going to pay all the money they demand here for a convertor!
Warranty or not.  I think I will get a deep cycle battery that will last at least two nights.
The machine say it draws 1.75amp at 24Vdc?
I read here somewhere on this thread it draws less, I will need to look out some equipment to check it out I think.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep2Snore,
The Resmed DC power supply will accept 12-24VDC.  It is very efficient when using a 12VDC input.  I wouldn't worry about trying to set up a 24VDC system.

Here is the Resmed Battery Guide:
https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...lo_eng.pdf

I hope it is useful to you.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,787 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  csa machines cexer 1 73 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 198 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 672 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 228 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 249 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.