Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Backup power system for Aircurve 10 ASV and oxygen concentrator
RE: Backup power system for Aircurve 10 ASV and oxygen concentrator
My final solution ... to get through a one night power outage at home or while traveling by car

--Use oxygen tanks instead of the oxygen concentrator during an electrical outage. I had my doctor write a prescription for these and I got them from my medical supply place. They are refillable at about $25 a pop. I will take two tanks to get through 8 hours.

--Floureon 500Wh /140400mAh Portable Power Station. This is a lithium battery, chosen because it's light weight, supposedly only needs tending every few months when not in use, and is affordable for me. Got it for $150 off at Amazon on Prime Day. Otherwise, full price is about $500. I may have to go without the humidity/heated hose to get through a night with this as my EPAP/IPAP settings are quite high, but not sure yet. Some people get a full night out of a smaller battery, even with the humidifier.

--ResMed AirCurve 10 DC Power Supply 37297. This is the converter/adapter that plugs into the "cigarette lighter outlet" on the power station and into the ASV. About $90.

--Heat Moisture Exchanger by HDM Z1. About $8, cheaper in multi packs. This is a little device that attaches between the mask swivel joint and the air hose. It is a "waterless humidification system that captures exhaled moisture and returns it to you when needed."  It can be used for a week then disposed. People use them to prevent dry mouth when they can't use their humidifiers.

--add an extension cord for travel.

Unlike my gas powered generator, which is noisy and can't be brought in the house or hauled in our car, this system is portable.
It will be a couple of weeks until I get everything and try it out. I will add a note later to indicate my experience with the battery.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow! Great choice(s).

I think you should be able to use this Portable Power Station easily with your humidifier and heated hose too. I'm curious to hear what the battery power meter says after a full-on test.  This would be great for a product review too.

Sleep-well

RayBee
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
the best bang for buck would be a stack with 18650 cells, unless for some magical reason you find one at the same price range with 21700 cells, in which case take that one. Both made by Panasonic.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here someone made a 15kWh pack for $800, its google translated mind you:
https://translate.google.com/translate?s...Ft%3D25333

also an english based tutorial:

[Commercial Link Removed] - Try searching for: "DIY-Professional-18650-Battery-Pack"

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a great thread and exactly what I was looking for.  We have multiple power outages this summer in the Northeast, and not a lot of options for CPAP power when the whole area is experiencing an outage.  Please let us know how this new backup system works!  I'm also open to any other suggestions!  Thanks again,  Art
Post Reply Post Reply
I finally got all the parts for my backup system and tried it out last night. My goal was not to save money creating a cheap solution, but just to go the simplest route that would get me through one emergency night without electricity and without having to fire up our gas powered generator and string an extension cord through the open window.

Here is the setup again:

--Oxygen concentrator plugged into the wall, not the power station, for this test (will use oxygen cylinders with a real power outage).

--Floureon 500Wh /140400mAh Portable Power Station. Fully charged, it showed nine "power bars" when full.

--ResMed AirCurve 10 DC Power Supply 37297 (the converter/adapter that plugs into the "cigarette lighter outlet" on the power station and into the ASV)

--ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV.  This was set to 12 EPAP, 3-13 Pressure Support. I ran this with the humidity set to 7 (out of 8). I had the Climate Line on with temp set to 81 degrees. I ran it 7 hours and 17 minutes and in the morning the power station still had two "power bars" showing.

I am extremely pleased with the outcome. It is certainly not the cheapest way to go, but more than adequate for most of our short power outages and so much more convenient than my other alternatives. It is portable for travel and will recharge in less than a day. Thank you all for your input. Hope my experience with this helps others.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 132 3 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,959 348,927 Yesterday, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,110 Yesterday, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 67 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 203 8,291 03-17-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 318 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 279 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.