Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Backup power system for Aircurve 10 ASV and oxygen concentrator
Backup power system for Aircurve 10 ASV and oxygen concentrator
I have been trying to research what I would need as a backup power supply to keep my Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV and Everflo oxygen concentrator running when the electricity goes out. I don't understand amps, volts, watts, etc. so naturally I am having trouble with this. Would a Yeti 1000 Lithium power station power everything? Or would something smaller work as well? And would I need an adaptor of some kind?

My epap is 11, my ps is 3-14.
humidity is pretty high, but can get through on one fill per night
oxygen concentrator is at 3 L/min if that matters
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Backup power system for Aircurve 10 ASV and oxygen concentrator
oops. That didn't work well! Unable to edit, so please delete! I will try again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Backup power system for Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV and oxygen concentrator
I have been trying to research what I would need as a backup power supply to keep my Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV and Everflo oxygen concentrator running when the electricity goes out. I don't understand amps, volts, watts, etc. so naturally I am having trouble with this. Would a Yeti 1000 Lithium power station power everything? Or would something smaller work as well? And would I need an adaptor of some kind?

My epap is 11, my ps is 3-14.
humidity is pretty high, but can get through on one fill per night
oxygen concentrator is at 3 L/min if that matters

Info from the mfgs:
oxygen concentrator:  120 VAC ±10%, 350 W, 60 Hz

ASV:

Goal Zero Yeti 1000 Lithium Portable Power Station

Post Reply Post Reply
Please review this thread on posting images here on Apnea Board.
How to post images and attachments
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No. Powering your cpap is no big deal but that concentrator is another matter entirely.
Actually I am in the same situation you are and have a battery backup for my apap but
don't have anything for the oxygen concentrator. Well here is the math : That supply
is rated at 1050wh. This means it can supply 1050Watts for 1 hr. So assuming your cpcp
draws 50Watts and your concentrator uses 350Watts that's 400Watt. Simply divide 1050 by
400 and you get 2.625 hrs. But often when something says 350W it actually doesn't consume
that much power still I doubt that supply will run both of them all night
Post Reply Post Reply
If weight and size are not an issue then lead acid batteries will work better and cost less than lithium ion.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Kally, the cost of that Yeti 1000 is very expensive, and you are getting into the realm of being able to purchase a generator with remote or auto-start and switch gear to connect to household power. These can run for hours or days if needed and can run the important circuits in your home. Generators generally include power inverters so they produce AC power.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Kally,

I looked into this option for my ResMed ASV backup needs too. No O2 though. The bottom line is, a generator for your equipment does make a lot of sense. Here's why.

If you want to power everything on batteries, there are a lot of variables to consider. The rated power (in Watts) for the two devices is normally the Max power rating. Not based on the average consumption of power. You would have to measure the consumption to get a closer average and that can vary widely based on a lot of operational variables.

Batteries will lose capacity as they age - assuming you go the route of say 85Ah car batteries to help keep the cost down. And lastly all of the conversion equipment in use will have efficiency ratings unknown here. But power conversions through these devices will never be 100% efficient.

So, my rough calculations in a perfect world with what we know would put three 85Ah car batteries (3,060 Watt Hours / 440 Watts) giving you 7 hours of run time on the equipment. And four batteries (4,080 Wtt Hours / 44 Watts) would be 9.3 hours of run time. But none of that is realistic. Only fuzzy numbers.

Now throw in the regular maintenance of the lead acid car batteries, possible corrosion problems, possible hydrogen out-gassing, periodic replacement of the entire bank of batteries as they age and likely storing them outside in a weather protected enclosure. Yup a big PIA.

Now with an emergency generator as backup power you can get one that runs on natural gas, LP or gasoline, size it for just your medical equipment, possibly add a few other critical appliance, or get one that will run your entire home. Very minimal maintenance and a clean system. You just need to have the room in your yard to place one far enough from the house per code requirements so exhaust gasses won't be a problem.

Lots to consider. Best of luck.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Go to the next post.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wrote a long post then hit back on my mouse. To make it short:

You need around 25kWh stack to power both devices for 8h each day for 7 days. Why?

ASV: 8h = 800Wh, 56h(7days) = 5.6kWh
Concentrator : 8h = 2.8kWh, 56h(7days) = 19.6kWh

For my 50kWh I paid over $10k, that's just the stack, then comes converters, switches etc.
I can power my whole home with it, but it also gets recharged with my panels each day .
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,619 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 298 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,790 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,188 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,511 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.