Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Backup rate. Is there a ramp for it?
Backup rate. Is there a ramp for it?
Can the timed breaths pet minute be put off until you fall asleep? 

Please tell me yes.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Backup rate. Is there a ramp for it?
The Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV and Philips Auto SV do not have a way to turn off the backup rate other than ramp. During ramp, the backup rate is disabled.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2019, 05:25 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV and Philips Auto SV do not have a way to turn off the backup rate other than ramp.  During ramp, the backup rate is disabled.

Hmm. That's all I wanted to know. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I may need to correct myself. The Resmed backup rate is automatic, but the Philips has a manual setting for backup rate that can be used. Setting the Philips to a very long backup rate can effectively disable it unless you have a very long pause in breathing. For example a backup rate of 4 BPM would be 15 seconds of apnea, and I think it will go lower. I know of one member that uses a rate of 6-BPM to allow spontaneous breathing to the maximum extent possible and finds that less disturbing. The Resmed defaults to 15 BPM but adjusts to the user's breathing rate, faster or slower. It does not however allow for manual adjustment like the Philips.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2019, 06:36 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I may need to correct myself. The Resmed backup rate is automatic, but the Philips has a manual setting for backup rate that can be used.  Setting the Philips to a very long backup rate can effectively disable it unless you have a very long pause in breathing.  For example a backup rate of 4 BPM would be 15 seconds of apnea, and I think it will go lower.  I know of one member that uses a rate of 6-BPM to allow spontaneous breathing to the maximum extent possible and finds that less disturbing. The Resmed defaults to 15 BPM but adjusts to the user's breathing rate, faster or slower.  It does not however allow for manual adjustment like the Philips.

Wow. Very good info. 

The ASV machine at my aborted titration would blow at me every 5 seconds (12 breaths per minute apparently) regardless of whether I was breathing. The only way to stop it was to exaggerate my breathing effort. 

Either the timing was way too close, OR the machine couldn't detect that I was indeed breathing. The pressure support meant that I had to expend very little effort to breathe anyway. I don't know if there was a sensitivity adjustment available.

This just proves how HORRIBLE the technician was. The ramp could have been reset or the timing could have been changed. Instead, this horrible excuse of a person just told me "That's just the way it is."
Post Reply Post Reply
Good info from Sleeprider.  I didn't know BPM was off during ramp on PR ASV machines.  I always have ramp disabled, but good to know.

I have a PR S1 950 ASV machine and manually turned down the back-up rate to 6-8BPM and used that way for some time with pretty good results.  The other issue I had was the default Ti (Inspiration Time) was too short while I was awake so the machine would quit providing pressure support while I was still trying to inhale.  If you manually set BPM, you can also manually set Ti up to 3 seconds I think.  However, I find that I do best with BPM just set to Auto, even while watching TV or reading before bed, the algorithm is really smart and it doesn't fight me.  I don't have my PSmax set very high though.  I can imagine it could be more bothersome if PSmax was set high.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 76 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 858 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.