Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bacteria/Viral Filter & Humidifier
Bacteria/Viral Filter & Humidifier
Just looking for some advice on using a bacteria/viral filter. I would have to attach it to my machine such that humidity would be added to the air before it hit the filter.

On one website I have found claims that these filters work with all machines, but another claims that these types of filters are hydrophilic (which I think means they are absorbent...) and should not be used on machines with a humidifier unless placed before the chamber. Even if the filters absorb a bit of moisture, don't they get replaced often enough to not worry about it?

I appreciate your input - Thanks!
RE: Bacteria/Viral Filter & Humidifier
(03-09-2012, 10:39 PM)valligal Wrote: Just looking for some advice on using a bacteria/viral filter. I would have to attach it to my machine such that humidity would be added to the air before it hit the filter.

On one website I have found claims that these filters work with all machines, but another claims that these types of filters are hydrophilic (which I think means they are absorbent...) and should not be used on machines with a humidifier unless placed before the chamber. Even if the filters absorb a bit of moisture, don't they get replaced often enough to not worry about it?

I appreciate your input - Thanks!

welcome to the forum. i believe it would be best to speak to respironics about this first. they know what their machines are designed to handle and if this whatever it is would harm or alter air flow.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
I tried one on my Respironics M-Series Pro once, and it resulted in a drop of pressure of about 2cm. (Tested with a gauge manometer) Later I spoke to a Respironics rep...and she said they aren't recommended but didn't elaborate.
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Inline Antibacterial filters are not recommended (especially in APAPs) because they do affect the ability of the machine to sense whether or not a pressure increase or decrease is required.

"I" personally would never use one.

The filter itself does an adequate job.
Using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask with a chinstrap

I do not use either the Ramp nor the EPR Comfort features

Have been on CPAP since December 1998

This is my 3rd machine

I use the ResMed ResScan Software (Version 3.16)
Why do you want one?

Unless you're changing the filter every night, you're probably going to get more bacteria with the filter than without it. The filter is going to be a nice humid place for germs to grow.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
What archangle said.

Sleep-well
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
(03-10-2012, 06:45 PM)Steven Wrote: Inline Antibacterial filters are not recommended (especially in APAPs) because they do affect the ability of the machine to sense whether or not a pressure increase or decrease is required.

I received a A-PAP by mistake about 6 weeks ago and I used about 1 week and the supplier told me that they should have given me a C-PAP instead. They exchanges it with a new machine and I ask how I could capture the use information on the first machine. I am still waiting for it. I have been uses it on average 6-7 hours per night using all of the wash instructions. I have using the humidifier on the machine, being sure that it is filled every night. About 3 days ago I started sneezing through the day and yesterday morning I woke up with a very dry throat and start producing mucus and developed into a deep cough in the bronchi. If it gets worse, I will have my throat cultures. The last time that I had a type of sore throat was over 10 years ago. Who should I report this serious adverse event to?
(03-31-2016, 06:32 PM)RHam Wrote:
(03-10-2012, 06:45 PM)Steven Wrote: Inline Antibacterial filters are not recommended (especially in APAPs) because they do affect the ability of the machine to sense whether or not a pressure increase or decrease is required.

I received a A-PAP by mistake about 6 weeks ago and I used about 1 week and the supplier told me that they should have given me a C-PAP instead. They exchanges it with a new machine and I ask how I could capture the use information on the first machine. I am still waiting for it. I have been uses it on average 6-7 hours per night using all of the wash instructions. I have using the humidifier on the machine, being sure that it is filled every night. About 3 days ago I started sneezing through the day and yesterday morning I woke up with a very dry throat and start producing mucus and developed into a deep cough in the bronchi. If it gets worse, I will have my throat cultures. The last time that I had a type of sore throat was over 10 years ago. Who should I report this serious adverse event to?

Up your humidity setting. What you are expieriencing are classic signs of humidity setting being to low. Not bacteria.
With apap your airflow was lower most of the time so you likely didnt need as high a humidity setting. Cpap is constant pressure, more air flow all the time, dries out your throat, nose rtc more.

Also your DME is ripping you off switching your apap for a cpap. They get paid the same amount for either machine. They make more profit on the cpap machine.
Dont let them by with it. Demand to keep the apap.
(03-31-2016, 09:53 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Also your DME is ripping you off switching your apap for a cpap. They get paid the same amount for either machine. They make more profit on the cpap machine.
Dont let them by with it. Demand to keep the apap.

What that guy said.
I sleep in dirty old New York City with a Respironics ASV Auto. On the air input side I use both a foam and the white fine disposable filter. (side note: Medicare & Ins. generally allow for 2 white filters a month - mine is filthy black after a week and needs replacement that often). I have a heated humidifier (but not tube) and use an in-line bacteria filter from Respironics at the output from the machine (between the PAP and the tube). THAT filter generally becomes grey and needs to be replaced every 2 weeks. I have not had a problem with the in-line filters affecting the pressures from the machine or its sensitivity and ability to adjust pressures for treatment. If you tip the machine for some reason and water splashes up into the filter you need to replace it immediately as it then will block air flow if wet or dampened, even if dried out. I also made the mistake of purchasing NON Respironics filters one time, and they caused pressure problems. Spend the extra 25-50 cents per filter.

Remember, you are breathing into your lungs the air being pushed through the machine and humidifier. If you can make the air cleaner, it is not such a bad idea!

All that said, below is "tips" for the product from the website of a supplier.
==============
Important Tips

Heated Hose/Tubing Compatibility

CPAP/BiPAP machines that are using a heated hose/tubing which is specific to that machine and require a specialized connection are not compatible with the In-line Bacteria filter. The In-line Bacteria Filter cannot be placed between the machine and the hose/tubing connection. In this case, the In-line Bacteria filter could be used between the Hose/Tubing and the mask if desired and will add bulk at that connection.

Examples of machine specific heated hose/tubing are:

•PR System One Heated Tube for 60 Series Auto CPAP Machine
•ClimateLine™ Tubing for S9™ and H5i™ Climate Control System
•Thermosmart Heated Hose for 600 Series CPAPs

The In-line Bacteria Filter is compatible with the Hybernite Rainout Control System, fitting between the hose and the machine.

Maintenance and Care

The length of use of the bacterial filter varies between users and environments. The filter should be replaced when there is debris seen on the white filter material. It is easy to see the condition of the filter through the clear acrylic globe. Replace the filter when it becomes discolored. If the bacteria filter becomes very dirty or wet, machine performance may be affected.

Heated humidifiers can cause water to collect in the filter chamber, thus clogging the filter and adversely affecting therapy. If wet, remove the filter from the machine and set out to dry. Dry time may vary.

Auto Adjusting CPAP Machines

This filter may have an impact on the ability of any Auto Adjusting CPAP to accurately respond to airflow restrictions during use. If the average treatment pressure is below a pressure of 7cm H2O this should not be used.

CPAP and BiPAP machines with Auto On/Off Feature

The Auto On/Off Feature has a difficult time sensing air flow, which helps determine whether the machine is in use or simply blowing air. Our tests show the Auto On/Off feature does not work with the following machines:
•ResMed S8 Vantage
•ResMed S8 AutoSet II
•ResMed s8 VPAP
•ResMed s8 VPAP Auto 25
•ResMed VPAP Malibu

Installation Tips

If a Whisper Cap is used on an M Series machine without a heated humidifier, the Whisper Cap will not fit if used together with a outlet bacteria filter. If you wish to use both a Whisper Cap and an outlet bacteria filter without a heated humidifier, then you should add a Hose Quick Connect or a M Series Tubing Swivel between the CPAP machine and the outlet bacteria filter.

A bacteria filter will not install directly to the air outlet port on the IntelliPAP Heated Humidifier as there is not enough space for the filter. IntelliPAP humidifier owners can order the FlexiTube Angle Adapter for CPAP and BiPAP Machines to provide a spacer between the humidifier and the bacteria filter. The CPAP hose can then fit onto the other end of the bacteria filter.

The In-line Bacteria Filter will fit directly onto the air outlet port for the following machines but will not fit snuggly onto the humidifier for these machines . The FlexiTube Angle Adapter for CPAP and BiPAP Machines can be used to connect the In-line Bacteria Filter onto the humidifier for the following machines:

•Zzz-PAP CPAP Machine
•Puresom CPAP Machine
•EVO 804 APAP

The In-line Bacteria Filter will fit directly onto the air outlet port for the following machines WITH humidifier but will not fit snuggly onto the machine WITHOUT humidifier . The FlexiTube Angle Adapter for CPAP and BiPAP Machines can be used to connect the In-line Bacteria Filter onto the following machines without humidifier:

•RESmart Machines

Please Note: Per the manufacturer, the following warning is extended for children and those who are pregnant or breast feeding. The In-Line Outlet Bacterial Filter may contain phthalates which may cause adverse health effects.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 118 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 353 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,161 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 320 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.