Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bacterial filter
Bacterial filter
I recently stopped by my sleep therapist's office to pick up a new mask. While there the nurse gave me the mask, and also added three 'bacterial filters,' as she called them. She did this after we discussed that I registered my Dreamstation I BIPAP, but am still using it. She didn't say anything about their efficacy in removing foam particles, but I suspect that was her motivation. Each filter came in a little clear plastic bag containing a piece of paper that said in the upper left corner 'REF 001851, AirLife™,' and at the bottom 'vyair™' together with 'Vyaire Medical, Inc., 26125 North Riverwoods Blvd, Mettawa, IL 60045, USA, 1-833-327-3284, [link to website not posted here], followed by EMERGO EUROPE, Prinsessegracht 20, 2514 AP The Hague, The Netherlands, Made in Mexico. In between the top and bottom it says 'Nonconductive Respiratory Therapy Filter, Bacterial/Viral Retentive,' repeated in seven more languages. The nurse said that they were good for a month.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bacterial filter
There may be a setting on your BiPAP for using a bacterial filter as it adds volume and resistance to the air circuit. The bacterial filter will prevent fine dusts, pollen and debris from passing to your mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2022, 10:08 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: There may be a setting on your BiPAP for using a bacterial filter as it adds volume and resistance to the air circuit. The bacterial filter will prevent fine dusts, pollen and debris from passing to your mask.

Good point. But now that you mentioned it, I remember that I asked the nurse about that and she said that the resistance was negligible. Just now I blew through the filter and I couldn't feel any difference, although there may be more resistance as the filter gets dirty. It is interesting to note that both my machines have the superfine filter on the input, so really this filter is going to catch mostly just stuff that is produced inside the machine. As for volume, the diameter of the filter is at least as big as my hose (15mm).

Nevertheless, I looked just now at the settings for both machines, and there were settings for mask types, but I couldn't find any mention of filters.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had significant experience with this type of filter and can assure you it will add resistance even when new. Resmed machines have a setting for bacterial filters. I'm surprised the dreamstation doesn't. Most are rated for 0.22 microns and will remove bacteria but not viruses. They should be effective for foam particles. The life span will depend on air cleanliness and not time.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I would be guessing you don't use a heated hose, as the filter is intended to be connected at the machine end, which negates being able to connect a heated hose.

Also, had you seen the blurb by Philips regarding use of filters on a CPAP (your DME should know this Sad )......
https://www.hmenews.com/article/philips-...with-cpaps
Post Reply Post Reply
If memory severs me correct the setting on the original Dreamstation is in the clintition menu. Marked AB on or off. AB meaning antibacterial. Also I don’t think you can run humidity when using that filter. I could be wrong.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
(05-15-2022, 11:41 AM)Melman Wrote: I've had significant experience with this type of filter and can assure you it will add resistance even when new. Resmed machines have a setting for bacterial filters. I'm surprised the dreamstation doesn't. Most are rated for 0.22 microns and will remove bacteria but not viruses. They should be effective for foam particles. The life span will depend on air cleanliness and not time.

The sheet of paper from Vyaire says bacteria and viruses. They may be lying, of course. [Image: wink.gif] As for the life span, I am guessing that they said 'one month' in order to sell more products, not because it really has to be replaced that often. Never underestimate the degree of corporate greed.

(05-15-2022, 01:10 PM)StratCat48 Wrote: I would be guessing you don't use a heated hose, as the filter is intended to be connected at the machine end, which negates being able to connect a heated hose.

Also, had you seen the blurb by Philips regarding use of filters on a CPAP (your DME should know this Sad )......
https://www.hmenews.com/article/philips-...with-cpaps

No, I don't use a heated hose; in fact, I don't even use the humidifier at all. But you make a good point. This filter will kill a heated hose.

Interesting comments by Respironics. However, it sounds like it was written by their legal counsel to give them another argument in case they end up in even deeper trouble. I've not noticed the slightest bit of difference in the results reported by OSCAR, with either my Resmed or my DS1. But we're all different, so it's something to consider. Thanks for posting that link. [Image: smile.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2022, 02:38 PM)Robert121571 Wrote: If memory severs me correct the setting on the original Dreamstation is in the clintition menu. Marked AB on or off. AB meaning antibacterial. Also I don’t think you can run humidity when using that filter. I could be wrong.

Interesting. If one changes the setting to AB:on, would that not make up for any increased resistance? Otherwise, there is no point to the setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
The AB setting is for use of an antibacterial filter. Nothing more needs to be done.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
So if Dreamstation has an antibacterial filter setting (AB: on / off), why are they recommending not using such filters???
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 836 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 117 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  ResMed S10 Air Filter Options MoreBeers 9 1,874 12-08-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Wink Replacing filter fiber in N30i and P30i QuietAir vents - possible! PurpleOx 2 3,179 08-16-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Konomoose
  [Equipment] cleaning the filter on a nasal mask msherman1000 3 909 06-23-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: YipeekiOH
  Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke Stom 25 5,804 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: JLRINCT
  AirSense 10 & 11 filter comparison ejbpesca 0 817 02-21-2023, 05:02 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.