Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bad Cold Tips?!
Gross 
Bad Cold Tips?!
A horrible cold has struck my house.
My teens brought it home and it has infected everyone.

Cough, congestion, aches, sneezing, drainage....blah!

I have had to go through quite a ritual to clean out my
sinuses before attempting cpap at night. Last night,
I hacked (I know, I know, but it makes me feel special to say hacked...humor me) into my ResMed S9 AutoSet and jacked it up from 9 to 13.
I don't have any ramp set (ramping is for pussies!).
I turned it on and BAM, I could finally breath with it.
I fell asleep and woke up with a lot less congestion.
I am going to repeat this tonight and see if I can get similar results.

I am also taking Mucus Relief DM and Nyquil.

I am trying my best to use cpap even through this horrible cold.

Any advice are much appreciated.

I know some of you are going to suggest the Neti pot thingy,
I prefer not to have my brains eaten out by amoebas,

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/12/...er-warning
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bad Cold Tips?!
I'm not sure I think it's a great idea to bump your pressure from 9 to 13, but yeah, you need to do what you need to do.

I have felt fortunate that whenever I get a cold (at least so far!) that using the machine as per normal will keep the nasal sinuses open. I think that's a plus for the pillow systems, because I had much more difficulty doing that with the ffm.

But, far and away the best thing to do for a cold? Get over it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Haven't had a cold to contend with yet (knock on wood), but when I get one (inevitable with 3 kiddos) I'll probably just use my aromatherapy and try to clear it that way. As far as Neti-pots 2 deaths in one state in 2011, maybe water quality there should be challenged, but hey I'll take my chances. Something's gotta take me out, and why not an amoeba Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been at this since 2008 and have always used pillows. Nasal infections, colds, freakin' Lyme's Meningitis! I and I used the APAP through it all and felt better.

You'll be fine, and yeah...ramp is for pussies, and neti post users should hand in their man card. Laugh-a-lot
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ramp is for pussies say those with miniscule therapy pressures. lol

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2015, 09:14 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You'll be fine, and yeah...ramp is for pussies, and neti post users should hand in their man card. Laugh-a-lot

I'll give up my man card before I give up my neti pot Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
You tell em Paytona! Seriously.

Okay, Netti Pot phobics, you can get just the saline spray bottles that they sell BESIDE THE DREADED NETTI's...in the drug store.
Those are for MEN who won't use the Netti. (or like me, women who really haven't got the co-ordination for it)

The saline spray can help do the same thing.

Netti pot users, be aware it's not good to use them if you have a totally blocked sinus, can cause problems, probably in the small print with Netti instructions.

Regarding O.P, I wonder if putting your pressure up too high (who's to say how high is too high?) could encourage your germs to go up toward your eustachian tubes thus possibly ending up with ear infection. Just hop on it if you have ear pain. Probably you would be fine but something to watch for, since you are safe from brain eating amoeba's.

I too have yet to have a full blown cold with my c-pap.

Get well soon Cowboy.
Post Reply Post Reply
what can I say. . . i'm a man, and I have a ramp. ok - just kidding.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, so I've got the dreaded summer cold now too. I do use a ramp (and I'm a women, so no man card here Smile) and I've never used a neti pot, but I'm thinking of trying one out today since I cannot breathe through my nose and my current mask is a nasal pillows (AirFit P10, thanks for the suggestion retired_guy). Any suggestions/recommendations for being able to breathe when I go to bed tonight?
Post Reply Post Reply
I was dreading a raised AHI when I got a cold. It went down.

Second cold (under xPAP therapy) started Friday; AHI steady.

Still, not really having fun; it feels like someone shoved a neti pot into my sinus cavity.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 43 1,335 03-26-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,273 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP/APAP looking for Adjustment tips jster71 2 304 02-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,534 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Camping with CPAP - any tips? SuperSleeper 43 7,629 10-16-2023, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
  Tips for adjusting chin strap? TiredTom111 8 1,233 09-10-2023, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Bluesv6
  [CPAP] cleaning my machine tips kiracaylen 2 542 08-31-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.