Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bad Cold...nose blocked...help!!
RE: Bad Cold...nose blocked...help!!
(01-08-2014, 10:22 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I am getting over really bad bronchitis. I was not nasally congested from it until I laid down then whatever side was down would block up. Then just the air coming in one nostril would hit my throat wrong and I would wake up coughing my head off. So I started doing the nasal rinses every night before bed and my nose never blocked in my sleep.

I use the squirt bottle with the Neill saline packets. Works wonders.

hope you are better now
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad it worked for you, Paula.

My wife has been suffering from a chronic cough for years. Eventually a doc put her on steroids, which she hated because of the side effects. Now we just have the vaporizer running in the bedroom every night and she hardly coughs at all anymore. Cuts down on her snoring, too.

(She put up with decades of me snoring pre-CPAP, so now it's my turn!)

But anyway, sometimes the simplest things, like water vapor and saline rinses, can work better than any drug. And no side effects, either!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Missing you Paula, hope you feel better soon
Admin and Mods not allowed time off :grin:

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2014, 10:19 PM)Marco Wrote:
(01-08-2014, 10:09 PM)me50 Wrote: I just read about cutting the top and bottom off of an onion and put it on a saucer in the room

Really? I can imagine it would smell...but it would clear the nose? Not sure how my wife would feel about this idea Smile
(01-08-2014, 09:59 PM)Sleepster Wrote: The decongestant nasal sprays do have that rebound effect and so should be avoided, for the most part. Nasty stuff!

There are steroidal and antihistamine nasal sprays that one uses as a maintenance or preventative. Talk to your doctor.

Best choice in this situation is the wonderful NeilMed sinus rinse kit. Available in drug stores, get the least expensive original kit. Costs about $10 at Walgreens here in the US. If you can't get your hands on one and you're in a pinch use a bulb syringe. Mix up a fresh solution of warm water and salt. Add a bit of baking powder as a buffer if you like. Fill the syringe and squirt it into each nostril while standing over the sink.

It works wonders. Feels weird at first but you get used to it. I use mine whenever I have a cold or any kind of congestion.

This sounds like a great idea and readily available for me to try. I remember seeing the NeilMed kit at the drug store here...goes for around $15CAD....I might head out now to buy one. Thanks!!!

I started with the "Neti Pot" style of nasal irrigator and then found the battery -operated NeilMed device. Is this the one you are talking about? I LOVE LOVE LOVE this. You don't have to tip your head at a silly angle like you do with a traditional neti pot and the pressurized delivery really helps to blast my sinuses open. FIVE STARS for the NeilMed "Sinugator" (Here's a link in case you don't know what I'm talking about): [link removed]

I bought mine at Walgreen's, too.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought all that neti pot stuff and saline rinses but I am of a different nature and just plain don't want to do it. I went a different direction.
I put a small smear of Tiger Balm on top of each sinus area before bed if my nose is stuffy. It is a little uncomfortable and you do not want to use too much. It sinks in and bam your sinuses are clear.

The other thing I do is add half a teaspoon of good sea salt to my humidifier reservoir and do not use heat just the air blowing acrose the salted water is gentle on my poor sinuses.

Just a couple of ideas from another point of view.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2014, 11:01 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Glad it worked for you, Paula.

My wife has been suffering from a chronic cough for years. Eventually a doc put her on steroids, which she hated because of the side effects. Now we just have the vaporizer running in the bedroom every night and she hardly coughs at all anymore. Cuts down on her snoring, too.

(She put up with decades of me snoring pre-CPAP, so now it's my turn!)

But anyway, sometimes the simplest things, like water vapor and saline rinses, can work better than any drug. And no side effects, either!

I have a small humidifier here on my desk. It has really helped me. I have the CPAP humidifier cranked up really high, too.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2014, 12:46 PM)chezdan9 Wrote: I started with the "Neti Pot" style of nasal irrigator and then found the battery -operated NeilMed device. Is this the one you are talking about?

No. I'm talking about the original sinus rinse kit. It's a plastic bottle about the size of a water bottle. The cap has a nozzle in it, with a "straw" extending down the center of the bottle to the bottom. When you squeeze the bottle the saline solution is forced up the straw, through the nozzle, and into your nose.

Feels weird at first, and many wimpy type people like my wonderful wife can't handle it. But for those of us who can, it works wonders.

I started doing this with a bulb syringe almost 20 years ago after my first sinus surgery. A few years later the NeilMed kit came out and it's a big improvement because it pushes a greater volume of water. It's faster and better.

I'll go months without doing it, and then if I get the sniffles or worse I may do it multiple times per day. One time I had one of those colds where I had to blow my nose about once every 10 minutes or so. A good rinsing with this kit and I could go several hours without blowing my nose. I was doing it 3 or 4 times a day.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2014, 09:43 PM)Marco Wrote: Hi Everyone, I'm new here. Been on CPAP for almost 8 years now, and it's hit me again...I have a cold. My nose is just completely blocked and I'm not looking forward to going to bed since it will be next to impossible to use my machine.

I have the Resmed Nasal Pillows, and I also have a back-up Mirage FX Nasal mask...but when my nose is stuffed up, I have a really hard time using the cpap...even with my humidifier turned all the way up.

I used to rely on nasal sprays; however, I would prefer to not get back into using them again, as sometimes the rebound congestion is even worse...

Does anyone have any advise on how to clear your nose just before using the machine? (if I start with a clear nose...my nose usually stays clear all night until I take the mask off)...

Thanks!

Never use any decongestants. Don't like them. Have occasional allergies, so I bought a mask that covers my nose and mouth for those situations. Don't use it much, so I expect it will last forever, but it has allowed me to sleep completely soundly with a stuffed nose...
Post Reply Post Reply
I use patanase which is not a decongestant, doesn't have steroids, doesn't cause rebound nose congestion but a side affect can be a rise in blood pressure. I don't use it twice a day but only when I need it. It is pretty expensive so I can't see using it when I don't have nose congestion. It requires a script though so it isn't something you can head out to the store and get if you get congested.
Post Reply Post Reply
:):)
(01-08-2014, 09:43 PM)Marco Wrote: Hi Everyone, I'm new here. Been on CPAP for almost 8 years now, and it's hit me again...I have a cold. My nose is just completely blocked and I'm not looking forward to going to bed since it will be next to impossible to use my machine.

I have the Resmed Nasal Pillows, and I also have a back-up Mirage FX Nasal mask...but when my nose is stuffed up, I have a really hard time using the cpap...even with my humidifier turned all the way up.

I used to rely on nasal sprays; however, I would prefer to not get back into using them again, as sometimes the rebound congestion is even worse...

Does anyone have any advise on how to clear your nose just before using the machine? (if I start with a clear nose...my nose usually stays clear all night until I take the mask off)...

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 196 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 151 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,977 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 646 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.