Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bad Ice Storm coming to Northern Vermont
Bad Ice Storm coming to Northern Vermont
It looks like I may have to sleep without my beloved CPAP as I don't have a battery. A huge ice storm is forecast for my area. Any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bad Ice Storm coming to Northern Vermont
Well, hope that the electricity stays on and see if you can find a generator (I don't know if a generator would help but just throwing that out there).
Post Reply Post Reply
No generator. They are difficult and dangerous. I wish I had a battery back up but even that won't work if this lasts for a week.
Post Reply Post Reply
First, go out and get a lot of cash (from your own account, of course). Debit cards are useless with no power. While out, fill up all of your vehicles with gas.

Then go to Walmart, Bestbuy, Radio Shack, or whatever and get a converter/inverter. Never can remember which. One that plugs into the car's cigarette lighter and has a regular outlet. Make sure it is enough amps and watts for your machine minus the humidifier.

If the power goes out, you can then sleep upright in a recliner but if you start to feel like crap and really need the rest, go sleep in your vehicle, using the inverter. Just do NOT run your vehicle in a closed garage nor where the exhaust is blocked by snow or ice. If the inverter has a low battery alarm, you won't even need to run the vehicle. You can do this for a few hours each night, getting the sleep you need. A few nights without your CPAP will not hurt you, just make you feel like crap on a stick.

Worse case scenario is you can't stand it or yourself and you hitch a ride to a hotel and crash.

Several years ago, we had a snow storm and lost power for 5 nights. By night 6, I was the grumpiest, most miserable person ever. My blood pressure was up and my dogs were afraid of me. We were packing my bags to send me to a hotel when the power came back on. Now I know that I could have slept in the recliner and done much better.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Be careful out there. We had freezing rain here in northern Illinois today. Had to make a short trip and after rounding the corner of my street, I had to go up a rather steep grade... made it about 1/2 the way up the hill and found out everything was a sheet of ice.... couldn't get any traction at all to make it the rest of the way. Ended up backing up very carefully downhill (kind of side-ways), slipping all the way with parked cars on each side, then went over to the snow-covered edge of the road and got up enough momentum to try it again with slow success. It was scary when the van started going backwards and to the side... argh. Blink

Hope no one has a severe long-term power outage. But just in case, here's a thread on dealing with such things (click on the title below to read the thread):

WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected - When the power goes out

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have wondered what to do in the case of power outage. My first thought was a hotel. Several years ago we had a severe ice storm and lost power for 3 days. We were comfortable with our woodstove roaring, university where I work was closed down. My parents across town still had power so we would get water from them.

PaulaO2 ... terrific and thoughtful ideas. I am gonna make a snapshot of those ideas, print and place in my bag to refer to if needed.

(from your own account, of course) ... made me LoL!
Post Reply Post Reply
Well - I've lived through three long power outages (5+ days). I now have a generator, to provide enough power to our two refrigs, one freezer, and 15amps into our bedroom (TV, Blu-ray player, lamp, and PAP). Buying the proper sized extension cords (three different runs), etc is critical to safe usage. The genny will sit in the open garage, with the power lines coming in through the dog-door.

Since I do a fair number of driving trips, I also have a high quality inverter that is always carried in my car, so can go that route as well.

I also have stocked:
1 5amp heater
1 single burner electric hot plate to cook on.

Year before last, we also ran our next-door neighbor's fridge for him. Most of our outages are caused by too many trees taking out powerlines.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
The "sleep in the automobile" thing is a last resort. We should all have in place a better something to take care of this.

What do I have? Um, the "sleep in the automobile thing. Yeah...

It is on our Emergency Preparedness list to get the battery pack and adapter just for CPAPs. That way it is not being used for something else and therefore not ready. Just haven't done it yet. I live with a procrastinator who is also the one who earns the money.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
If I go to sleep tonight the power may go out while I'm sleeping. I hope I wake up enough to take the mask off.
Post Reply Post Reply
You'll be fine. Full face masks have an anti-asphyxiation valve and the other masks, you'll open your mouth.

Personally, I find the S9 to be so "airtight" that the second the power is out, I am awake. I get no air.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,211 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
Question [News] RESMED CHANGES COMING? srlevine1 6 986 12-30-2023, 12:31 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Centrals coming back Gperry 9 691 12-05-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  6+ of CPAP, but symptoms are coming back for some reason terrytorres 7 637 09-22-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Are my symptoms even coming from sleep apnea? OSCAR attached apmea 8 864 08-23-2023, 12:25 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Does anyone know of new cpap masks coming out this year? Jimnyc2000 9 1,051 06-08-2023, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Bostonsnow
  PLEASE help with settings for ASV coming tomorrow. OSCAR data attached. hopeforusall 41 2,351 06-08-2023, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.