Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bad Infection, smelly CPAP
RE: Bad Infection, smelly CPAP
I would get well first before engaging with a new or different machine.

You're talking corpse smell? Are you sure a mouse didn't get in there while you were drying the humidifier tank?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2017, 08:23 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: You have smell liquid leaking from the blower section?  Perhaps the machine suffered a spill or overflow.  

If you have centrals, a CPAP is not an appropriate device. What kind of AHI and CAI?

I talked to three docs, one said he required three months of cpap use for compliance before any other devices, the other two said the CPAP Is what I needed.

I forget my ahi, but have 37 centrals and 02 dropping to 63%, no obstructive events at all in three tests.

LMAO, maybe a family of mice!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi chrishw,
WELCOME! to the forum!
Hopefully, you will get over your infection soon.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2017, 03:25 PM)chrishw Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 08:23 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: You have smell liquid leaking from the blower section?  Perhaps the machine suffered a spill or overflow.  

If you have centrals, a CPAP is not an appropriate device. What kind of AHI and CAI?

I talked to three docs, one said he required three months of cpap use for compliance before any other devices, the other two said the CPAP Is what I needed.

I forget my ahi, but have 37 centrals and 02 dropping to 63%, no obstructive events at all in three tests.

LMAO, maybe a family of mice!!!

CPAP is a lovely treatment device for obstructive apnea.  If you have mixed or centrals, then you need something else (ASV). Sounds to me like you have the wrong doctor.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Egads man!

If there is a smelly liquid leaking out of its innards forget about hoses tanks etc.

1 Your machine is demon possessed. Don't wait until it tells you to GET out, before sending it back. Or a cpap exorcist is in order.
2 A colony of mice committed suicide in your machine. Send it back.
3. Something in the fan motor is breaking down and leaking.
Send it back.

Or just for curiosity keep the tank empty.start the machine and blow thru the hose hard enough to reverse the airflow against the fan.
Much like happens if you cough in a FFM, and see if smelly demonic liquid still leaks out.
If it does for very long at all its not a water spill but sometime in the machine itself is breaking down and breathing it may not be such a grand idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just my 2 cents....

I now have a mould infection in my lungs from not cleaning my machine frequently enough. I had not thought of such a thing. It didn't look dirty, but it was.

I have an S10 and use the humidifier and heater during the winter. I had breathing problems develop to the point I was coughing up phlegm regularly. Long story short.. mould infection in my lungs.

I was remiss in not cleaning the reservoir, tubing and mask frequently. Now I have become more fastidious and added a filter in the tube while I try to rid my body of the mould infection.

Be fore-warned...
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sorry!

Thanks, I was fastidious about cleaning, the problem is in the machine, before the tank- not serviceable area.  I kinda have given up, it never helped with my centrals like the docs said it would.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2018, 05:11 PM)snuffles Wrote: Just my 2 cents....

I now have a mould infection in my lungs from not cleaning my machine frequently enough. I had not thought of such a thing. It didn't look dirty, but it was.

I have an S10 and use the humidifier and heater during the winter. I had breathing problems develop to the point I was coughing up phlegm regularly. Long story short.. mould infection in my lungs.

I was remiss in not cleaning the reservoir, tubing and mask frequently. Now I have become more fastidious and added a filter in the tube while I try to rid my body of the mould infection.

Be fore-warned...

Is this your conclusion, or are you diagnosed and being properly treated?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
"dump it every day, allowing the tub to dry"

Heh. Clearly you don't live in western Washington. It would take at least 2 days for my reservoir and gasket to get mostly dry.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2018, 05:34 PM)chrishw Wrote: I'm sorry!

Thanks, I was fastidious about cleaning, the problem is in the machine, before the tank- not serviceable area.  I kinda have given up, it never helped with my centrals like the docs said it would.

Chrishw, have you ever discussed with your doctors getting a machine appropriate to treating central apnea?  You will need one of the bilevels with backup rate, and preferably the Aircurve 10 ASV.  There is a way you can be treated, and CPAP frequently fails in treating centrals. When it does, you need to be persistent to get the care you need.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 200 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Sinus infection / recovering from surgery rpierce 0 350 08-24-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: rpierce
  Humidity and Sinus Infection Columbiabill 2 591 06-04-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  CPAP Usage w/ SInus Infection sm315 3 727 08-10-2022, 05:32 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Smelly mask/hose - what to do? Benzi 39 3,345 04-28-2022, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Benzi
  Are Machines that use the Humidx system more likely to give you an infection? schaer 5 1,273 07-22-2021, 06:15 AM
Last Post: S. Manz
  Can sudden increase in AHI be linked to Coronavirus infection? Arik 8 1,305 10-03-2020, 02:25 AM
Last Post: Arik

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.