Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bad Kitty!
Bad Kitty!
My cat is really demanding about food and would often wake me up early in the morning wanting to be fed. And then he'd pig out on food so quickly he'd throw up. So I got an automatic cat feeder that goes off four times a day. One evening, he was being particularly bad about jumping on the keyboard, and the next morning he woke me up early and was being very persistent about wanting attention. Then he started biting my CPAP mask and hose. So I got up. 

And then I noticed that the automatic cat food feeder bowl was empty (which wasn't unusual) but that the unopened cat food bag had a lot of bite marks on it. And I realized that the automatic feeder was empty and probably had been empty the night before. 

The problem is, he's kept periodically nipping at my CPAP mask and hose since then. Not necessarily the heated hose, but the translucent plastic hose that extends from it to my mask. And I'm trying hard to conceal the hose in the gap between my mattress and the wall, and the gap next to my pillow. I've thought about getting a fabric cover for the hose, but the mask parts are a bit harder. It's not like he is leaving bite marks, but it's more like rubbing his face on it to mark it with his scent, and also taste testing whether it's food. He also likes nibbling random stuff around the apartment to see if they are crumbs dropped from snacks, trying to steal my meals, sniffing the air any time I heat up dinner, eating people food that isn't normally cat food (rice, cornbread, cheese), eating bugs... 

I suspect the reason he's going for the CPAP hose is because it is something moving that is a little bit like string or rope, and he goes nuts for anything resembling string.

I've seen that there are fabric CPAP hose covers and some mask parts can get covers, but I'm not sure everything can get covers. Does anybody have thoughts? I've heard suggestions that if cats try to bite things like computer cables, coat it in hot sauce, but I don't want to do that with something that's next to my face.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bad Kitty!
The CPAP hose and hot sauce may not be a good idea, but the hose cover should be fine. I just have a feeling hot sauce in the eye may disturb the sleep a bit, or Mr. Cat gets sick.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I'm lucky. We have two cats and they couldn't care any less about my CPAP machine and it's hose.  Cool

Forgot to say, they stay in our garage at night. But, even during the day when they roam our house, they don't bother the equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you get a little fabric bag and hang that off the bet and put the end part in the bag?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2020, 09:43 PM)wordjoy Wrote: Can you get a little fabric bag and hang that off the bet and put the end part in the bag?

I could put the mask into a bag, but the main problem is that the cat is nibbling on the mask while I'm wearing it and the CPAP's in operation.
Post Reply Post Reply
My first post! I have been using a CPAP for six years and dealt with some similar issues in the beginning. Luckily I think I have a pretty good solution.

Every morning I disconnect the tube from the machine, put the tube and mask in a small tote, and store it under my bedside table. This has a few benefits:

- Cats can't mess with it.

- Will never get lost in the sheets. I.E. Partner won't accidentally crush the mask between the wall/headboard/etc.

- More tidy looking. Leaves most CPAP equipment out of sight, which is really great in a small apartment where guests see my bedroom.

This has made my masks and tubes last at least twice as long as they did prior. Hope this helps!

Edit: Realized this doesn't help you regarding your cat during the night. Perhaps you can approach this from a cat training perspective? Just a thought. Good luck Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Got it... 
That is harder.
One might try some dishsoap on the tube and mask, like the chili oil but not as severe.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hose cover works great with our three cats. Another option would be is to get some sour apple spray and put it on the exposed parts during the day. Cats don;t like it and there is no harm to the plastic. Sour apple works great to get them to stop chewing on wires.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Get a dog ?
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2020, 12:14 AM)SleepyTexasGirl Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 09:43 PM)wordjoy Wrote: Can you get a little fabric bag and hang that off the bet and put the end part in the bag?

I could put the mask into a bag, but the main problem is that the cat is nibbling on the mask while I'm wearing it and the CPAP's in operation.

I'd try a good swat on the butt. The cat I mean............ Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.