Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bad allergies and cpap use
Bad allergies and cpap use
Is there any way to filter or purify the air in a cpap. I have a resmed 10 
I clean it regularly and have tried different filters. I sneeze with it on and don’t get a full night sleep. Pressures seem ok with 2-3 apnea’s avg
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bad allergies and cpap use
The filter protects the machine, not the user. You might try a room size air filtering machine. It'd be much more efficient / productive.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried Floanase (flucasone propionate)? Works for me on seasonal allergies.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2021, 06:18 PM)Saxmann Wrote: Is there any way to filter or purify the air in a cpap.

If you keep your Cpap clean, change the filter often, wash the humidifier chamber and hose, then the problem isn't the Cpap.

The Cpap pulls air from your room. Do you have pets or a lot of dust? Then, as Big Guy suggests, a room size air filtering machine may help.

Also, check the humidity... too high can cause as much discomfort (congestion or allergy symptoms) as too little.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Allergies get worse as you age. I'm allergic now to the same things I was in my 20s, but then I never noticed them, and now my nose runs so much I'm considering having a surgeon implant a hook on the end of it so I can hang a bucket on it.

During the day it is sometimes not bad at all, other times it is terrible. But when I get in bed with my BiPAP machine I sleep all night long without the slightest discomfort. The machine has a HEPA filter, and that tells me that the allergen is airborne.

But note this: If you experience an allergic reaction while connected to your machine, but not when you are off the machine, then the machine is what you are allergic to.

There exists a lab test that probes for 29 common allergens. In my case it failed, as I wasn't allergic to any of the things it tested for. Nevertheless, ask your doc to order it and it might tell you what the problem is.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2021, 10:03 PM)Big Guy Wrote: The filter protects the machine, not the user.

This is a statement that is repeated often, and is false. The filters can definitely help to reduce allergens.

The hypoallergenic filters do filter much smaller particles, including allergens more effectively than a standard filter.

An AB (antibacterial filter) would be the most effective at filtering allergens. The AB filter requires changing a setting on the AirSense 10 Autoset as it has more resistance than other filters.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2021, 05:53 AM)Coffee Man Wrote:
(01-17-2021, 10:03 PM)Big Guy Wrote: The filter protects the machine, not the user.

This is a statement that is repeated often, and is false. The filters can definitely help to reduce allergens.

The hypoallergenic filters do filter much smaller particles, including allergens more effectively than a standard filter.

An AB (antibacterial filter) would be the most effective at filtering allergens. The AB filter requires changing a setting on the AirSense 10 Autoset as it has more resistance than other filters.

I should have stated that I was referring to the original filter that comes in the machine. I have no experience with the AB filters as I don't have any problems or issues with allergens.
Post Reply Post Reply
My experience is that my allergies get better while using cpap. Often the slight pressure would alleviate my congestion and breathing became easier. 

I have often wondered how effective the small filters are on the machines because they are only about a square inch. Because of that I have thought of building a box with Hepa filters to put the cpap machine in. If this is done you have to make sure that there is adequate ventilation around the machine so it wont overheat.

car54
Post Reply Post Reply
I don'r have much issue with allergies, but my wife does - she's sensitive to smoke, fragrances, pollen, etc.  So we recently upgraded our Air purifier: brought in a Coway AP-1512HH.  I found the Wirecutter reviews helpful: google for "Wirecutter Air Purifiers".  I have found the Wirecutter reviews helpful for a number of products, and they seem to be on-target so far.  Haven't owned this unit very long, but have found it to be effective so far, and VERY quiet, unless on the top speed.  I wouldn't hesitate to put one in my bedroom, if I needed such.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
"An AB (antibacterial filter) would be the most effective at filtering allergens. The AB filter requires changing a setting on the AirSense 10 Autoset as it has more resistance than other filters.'

i've used those in fire and smoke months where I live. I will use them during the upcoming allergy season as well. I have an Airsense autoset 10. I've noticed a slight decrease in pressure when using the AB filters. What do you suggest? Or should I just play around with pressure settings? in other words, is there an algorithm? "With aB filter, increase pressure by 2 points"?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Masking with allergies cjde341 4 366 10-14-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Allergies and sleep apnea Rcgop 6 2,132 05-08-2022, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  Surgery for OSA and UARS, help with allergies, food? Cblink19 0 584 02-09-2022, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Cblink19
  Does anyone have Autumn allergies?? My sleep is now improving... CentralApneaUser909 1 627 06-30-2021, 03:53 PM
Last Post: factor
  Spring allergies veloracer 3 651 04-19-2021, 07:42 AM
Last Post: NotADr
  ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet vs. Dreamstation for Bad Seasonal Allergies? dreamstream 4 1,610 02-25-2019, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Fats Drywaller
  Fall is here..So are Allergies! jsielke 1 943 10-11-2017, 04:10 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.