Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The math of calculating AHI
RE: The math of calculating AHI
Thank you
John
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The math of calculating AHI
(03-21-2013, 11:26 PM)JJJ Wrote:
(03-21-2013, 08:13 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Really, does it matter to be that freakin' exact? Anything over 30 is considered severe (I keep saying they need to revise that) so, does it matter to make a difference 
[...]

And, in spite of knowing that the AHIs reported by my machine may not be perfectly accurate, I still strive for the elusive zero AHI night. I came the closest ever last night when SleepyHead told me I had 0.09. I was thrilled, in spite of the fact that I felt terrible because I had a miserable night's sleep due to missing my bedtime. (Went to a Wagner opera and didn't get home until 1 am.)

[...]

Consider this: Your CPAP runs for 6 hours, mask on to mask off. Total events is 30. So AHI would be 30/6, or 5.0. However, your bedside clock showed that it took you one hour to fall asleep. So your actual therapy time is 5 hours, and your AHI is 30/5 or 6.0.

So the longer it takes you to fall asleep, the more inaccurate your AHI is.  Oh-jeez
Thanks to everyone who helps us get a better night's sleep.

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Calculating AHI Poolboy 1 300 01-05-2024, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Calculating AHI on Resmed theMezz 5 1,582 07-30-2018, 01:24 PM
Last Post: theMezz
Question [Health] DreamStation AHI Math PaulKiser 3 2,459 09-23-2017, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.