Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bad days. Need help
Bad days. Need help
I have had a cpap for about 7weeks. I hAd a really tough two years with horrid fatigue untill i was finally dianosed with this sleep apnea stuff. I flew my dad out to try and get my life back in order. But we still cant seen to get it under controll. The big issue is this fatigue. We are trying everything. But it just wont let loose. I was curious if any of you were in this siituation. I have a resmed s9 with the humidifier. And a mirrage quattro mask. I have leak rates from 66-110
And i dont know if the AHI scores are reliabe. AHI scores from 3-7 lately. But leakin. I bought a recliner yestertar to try sleeping in a upright position.

Anyone got any ideas why this debilitating fatigue is still getting me?

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

Chad.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bad days. Need help
Hi Chaddy
It could be a number of reasons why your still fatigued and my advise is seek medical advise and talk it over with your clinic or Doctor if possible. Ive been on apap for a number of years and still fall asleep if I sit too long. My doctor told me "Its just you, dont worry about it" I know I dont get enough sleep thats a given but being a carer and trying to hold down a full-time job is tiring so I dont bother asking anymore, I just deal with it.

Your problem could be your settings are off or it could even be another medical problem, go see your doctor and ask him to check your setting or check your data and if thats ok then ask him what else it could be. You can get a hundred and one different answers on here but the one that counts is your doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
Google 'sleep debt'. The information from that will help you a lot.

It's not at all like getting over jet lag. It's more about reversing, or trying to reverse, the damage done to your body.

Some people start their CPAP treatment and get over it and used to it really quick. Others take much longer.

Stick with it. Talk to your docs. Do what they tell you. Research like mad. Talk to others like us. But stick with it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you guys/gals. I will goggle sleep debt. That was suggested to me by another member. But i should learn the details of it.

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
There could be other medical conditions causing the fatigue but for starter you need to get the leaks under control preferably under 24 for the therapy to be effective. Check the link for the Quattro fitting instructions and Supplier #25 educational videos
also the review by B36 (Product Reviews Forum)

http://www.resmed.com/au/products/mirage...c=patients

Post Reply Post Reply
Search the forum and especially Apnea Board wiki [heaps of information by the busy bees wiki editors]

Sleep debt
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Sleep_debt

Tips for new CPAP users
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

Tips for a quality night's sleep
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ht-s-sleep
..........................................................................................
Full face masks don,t work for me - every body is different
if you have to use full face masks try Quattro FX or different mask bc one might work better for you than the rest
Fisher & Paykel
http://www.youtube.com/user/fphealthcare

Mirage Liberty

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2012, 12:22 AM)chaddy511 Wrote: I have leak rates from 66-110
And i dont know if the AHI scores are reliabe. AHI scores from 3-7 lately.
Chad.

(04-20-2012, 01:21 AM)zonk Wrote: There could be other medical conditions causing the fatigue but for starter you need to get the leaks under control preferably under 24 for the therapy to be effective. Check the link for the Quattro fitting instructions and Supplier #25 educational videos
also the review by B36 (Product Reviews Forum)

Agree with Zonk about getting the leak rates under control. Do you know if those are unintentional leak rates? If they are, I don't see how you could be sleeping at all as you'd be hearing all kinds of noise from the air escaping from beneath your mask at 66 to 110. Also, high leak rates can definitely skew your AHI scores.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Chaddy, sorry you're having such a bad time. As others have said you need to get the leaks under control- there is a tendency for newcomers to wear the mask too tight. Your pressure of 13 is moderate and shouldn't require you cinch the mask down. The cushion should be allowed to "float" on your face. The air pressure makes the seal. The use of mask liners may help- RemZzzs, Pad-A-Cheek,or Quietus liners are all available. You should be using the machine 100% of sleep time or else you will not get full benefits from therapy. A visit to the Sleep Doctor and/or your family practice doctor is indicated. If you have not had a thorough physical with bloodwork there may be another cause for your fatigue. It takes some of us longer to feel better than others, so you just may need more time. Good luck, hang in there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hang in there, Chad. I've been on CPAP for about 4 months and I finally feel like I've worked out most of the "kinks" (fingers crossed). During this time, I still had a good number of "Zombie days," horrible fatigue, anxiously awaiting for night to come so I could go to sleep, fighting with despair and depression over feeling like I was never going to feel good and rested again, and feeling like I would just wait for "the money to run out" and become homeless. (I quit a FT job due to the horrible tiredness and moved in with family to support me and have just recently felt good enough to start looking for a job again after 3 years. I finally was diagnosed with sleep apnea in December 2011.) I also got a dental appliance, which I wear in addition with the CPAP and a chinstrap (the chinstrap is especially important with the kind of dental appliance I wear.) I'm hoping the dental appliance will start working in about a month, or at least I'll be able to lower the CPAP pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2012, 12:22 AM)chaddy511 Wrote: ... I have a resmed s9 with the humidifier. And a mirrage quattro mask. I have leak rates from 66-110
And i dont know if the AHI scores are reliabe. AHI scores from 3-7 lately. But leakin. I bought a recliner yestertar to try sleeping in a upright position.

Hi chaddy511. Sorry for the problems you are facing. I have basically the same cpap setup you do, other than mine is an auto. Same mask, about which you inquired regarding the leaks. It took a while (several weeks) before I got the leaks down from the area you describe and I experienced. There are several things to look for: (1) avoid any oily buildup on skin or mask (I use mask wipes sold for the purpose daily, with a full wash in warm soapy water weekly) and my skin is not oily. If yours is, wash before going to bed; (2) don't believe everything you read about the mask "floating" on your face. It took awhile before I strapped it down tight enough to work; (3) when on your face at night, both at the beginning and when or if you awaken with a leak during the night, lift the mask (using both hands) straight off from your face, which with my strap tightness is about 1/4", and let the air blow the seal into a contour on your face. Takes about 1-2 sec. Oh yes, mask tightness. I can *barely* slid two fingers between my strap and cheek on the bottom strap. I realize this may sound confusing, but I hope it helps. And until the doc recently got my pressure over 18 (I am now averaging 19), this worked like a charm.

Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] New User; Fine Tuning- First 3 Days of Data jgthegrouch 9 422 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: jgthegrouch
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 340 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Bad O2 days with APAP? ikwtif 23 1,729 11-21-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: BeautifulDay
  [Treatment] Three days using Soft Cervical Collar, AHI 6.73, 4.81, 22.28; makes sense? Aldiorg 9 904 11-15-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Airsense 11 doesn't write SD data on some days only chipschap 7 673 10-07-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: chipschap
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 9 1,093 05-18-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: manders513
Wink [CPAP] SD CARD NOT SHOWING RECENT 12 DAYS * SOLVED * Samultra 1 502 05-12-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.