Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] developed cellulitis after 3 nights of CPAP
Gross 
developed cellulitis after 3 nights of CPAP
I was diagnosed with moderate to severe OSA, and received my CPAP machine (with humidifier) 3 days ago. The first night, not so bad, but my eyes were a little swollen in the morning. The second night I was uncomfortable quite a bit and woke up with heavy, swollen eyes that were so heavy I had to use my fingers to raise the lids. The third night was extremely uncomfortable and in the morning my eyelids were again quite swollen and heavy, but there was also a red, raised mark on the side of my nose, near my eye, on the place where I felt irritation during the night from the nasal mask. During the day the redness increased, spread and part of my face also became swollen and hard, below the initial irritation. I am now on antibiotics and was told by the doctor today I cannot use the mask for awhile, and I should get a different one. But which one? I am claustrophobic and for some reason the nasal pillows cause me to freak out even more than the masks (they feel the most like I am not in control of my own breathing.) So, any suggestions?

Thanks so much.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: developed cellulitis after 3 nights of CPAP
Hi Lori
What mask are you using. The mask should be worn a bit loose not too tight, the tighter the more it,ll leak and leak to the eyes is bad and shouldn't be tolerate it at all. RemZzzs mask liners may help, Go to Supplier #1 and check it out.
How to achieve the perfect mask fit by jeffy1958
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...erfect+fit

Which S9 do you have, as long as its not the Escape than it would report your mask leak and AHI ...
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow. Sounds a lot like an allergic reaction.

Did you clean them any? Did you use anything new?

If so, it could be the cleaning solution. If not, then it could be the material of the mask.

Which mask was it?

Which S9 do you have? If anything other than an escape (or the Elite escape), it will tell you the leak rate. It might be you have a leak in that area that has irritated the skin.

For me, the pillows are less claustrophobic because my face is not enclosed in something.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am using the Mirage FX mask. I will check out the mask liners, but I'm really afraid of using this mask now.

I didn't realize there are different S9 machines - all I see on the back is S9. It is ResMed, is that what you mean?

Thanks so much for responding.

(04-22-2012, 12:54 AM)zonk Wrote: Hi Lori
What mask are you using. The mask should be worn a bit loose not too tight, the tighter the more it,ll leak and leak to the eyes is bad and shouldn't be tolerate it at all. RemZzzs mask liners may help, Go to Supplier #1 and check it out.

Which S9 do you have, as long as its not the Escape than it would report your mask leak and AHI ...

Hi Paula,

Everything was just delivered, so everything is new. As I wrote Zonk, I have a Mirage FX mask. How can I tell what S9 machine I have? Sorry if I sound like an idiot - I'm so new to all of this.

Thanks so much for responding.

Lori

Wow. Sounds a lot like an allergic reaction.

Did you clean them any? Did you use anything new?

If so, it could be the cleaning solution. If not, then it could be the material of the mask.

Which mask was it?

Which S9 do you have? If anything other than an escape (or the Elite escape), it will tell you the leak rate. It might be you have a leak in that area that has irritated the skin.

For me, the pillows are less claustrophobic because my face is not enclosed in something.
[/quote]

Post Reply Post Reply
It will say the name near the on button. It will also say EPR but that's the 'exhale pressure relief' and not the name.

Wipe the mask down with a very mild dish detergent solution. Rinse it very well and let it air dry. Wear the mask with the machine on. Check for leaks (it'll make a sound as you move your finger along the edge where it meets the skin). If it is an allergy, your skin will react quickly, probably as soon as it gets warmed from the mask.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2012, 10:30 AM)Lori Wrote: I am using the Mirage FX mask. I will check out the mask liners, but I'm really afraid of using this mask now.

I didn't realize there are different S9 machines - all I see on the back is S9. It is ResMed, is that what you mean?
It should say what model next to stop/start button.
S9 AutoSet shown here in the setup link, check it out and watch the video how to access LCD data
http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

It would report AHI, leak and is important to have leak below 24 as if its over would affect the accuracy of data and compromise the therapy. May be you,re allergic to the FX soft silicone material it does no harm to try other nasal mask my mask of choice is the Activa LT but everybody is different. Check the link for fitting instruction and educational videos Supplier #25
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/masks-...c=patients

Skin Irritation
http://www.resmed.com/au/service_and_sup...c=patients

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 249 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 211 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  First two nights with results meettherobinsons 5 451 01-18-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: meettherobinsons
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  [Treatment] My very first two nights! domod 6 582 11-30-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Sad One of my worst nights. adamwhereartthou 1 451 11-06-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] First 2 Nights of CPAP (help?) jp0808 1 372 11-03-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.