Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bad hip = little cpap use
Bad hip = little cpap use
Not using the apap much at the moment due to a bad hip.

I developed server hip pain over several weeks which after a ct scan was first thought to be arthritis. I had an ultra sound guided injection into the hip that was to relieve the pain. This did not work so now awaiting to see an orthopaedic surgeon suspect it might be avascular necrosis.

On a few meds for pain Targin 30/15 twice a day , Modic once a day, Oxynorm 10 every 4 hours as needed, paracetamol 4 times a day.

I have been sleeping on a recliner instead of bed and am having trouble with what I presume is mouth breathing . Mouth so dry it wakes me up. I have never had problems with mouth breathing before. I guess I'll try using the humidifier then go from there.  

2311-2344 sleep
1037-1116 sitting watching tv
1420-1447 nap in bed
[Image: XXPymJbh.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bad hip = little cpap use
The chart is too small to read for my aging eyes. Could you set it up on imgur, copy the link with a large thumbnail and paste it here? That way, it can be seen here or full size by clicking on it.

It may be hard to give you advice unless you sleep more.....though maybe you’re sleeping more hours but not using your machine?

Sleeping in a recliner can drop your chin to your chest. This can mess up neck nerves and muscles and obstruct the throat, thereby increasing apneas. You may have to work with positioning or try a cervical collar while sleeping, so your head doesn’t droop.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2018, 04:20 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: The chart is too small to read for my aging eyes. Could you set it up on imgur, copy the link with a large thumbnail and paste it here? That way, it can be seen here or full size by clicking on it.

It may be hard to give you advice unless you sleep more.....though maybe you’re sleeping more hours but not using your machine?

Sleeping in a recliner can drop your chin to your chest. This can mess up neck nerves and muscles and obstruct the throat, thereby increasing apneas. You may have to work with positioning or try a cervical collar while sleeping, so your head doesn’t droop.

Changed chart size must have been the drugs .

I'm thinking I could be dropping my chin.
Post Reply Post Reply
You'd probably be feeling better if you nap and sleep using the machine. Keep it by the recliner. For open and dry mouth, get a soft cervical collar to help sleep in the reclining position. It will help keep your head steady and jaw closed. Hip pain is no fun, but you can step up your game on the PAP if you choose.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You will need a chin strap if sleeping in a chair, your mouth is more inclined to drop open.
Even just a few naps using the machine will help.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
on a side note, i found doing hip stretches helps with pain.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DWD1249.
I've had hip pain for years n years from arthritis & osteo.  So I bought a thick, soft topper for the mattress & sleep also with a pillow supporting my upper leg - a pillow which supports from high up between thighs to toe works for me.
The hip pain has gone completely.  It takes a few nights to work & to get used to it, but what a blessing..
Hope you get sorted........
Amethyst in Oz
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2018, 10:53 PM)mrsmagoo Wrote: Hi DWD1249.
I've had hip pain for years n years from arthritis & osteo.  So I bought a thick, soft topper for the mattress & sleep also with a pillow supporting my upper leg - a pillow which supports from high up between thighs to toe works for me.
The hip pain has gone completely.  It takes a few nights to work & to get used to it, but what a blessing..
Amethyst in Oz

Interesting!

I have a painful hip due to having cancer and radiotherapy on this area.
It is the side a like to sleep on, some nights it is hard to get sleep for pain.
Most nights I get by, just waking when I move or don't move as the case might be.
Even sleeping on the other side does not help with the pain, so I might give this a try.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2018, 08:53 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 10:53 PM)mrsmagoo Wrote: Hi DWD1249.
Amethyst in Oz

Interesting!

I have a painful hip due to having cancer and radiotherapy on this area.
It is the side a like to sleep on, some nights it is hard to get sleep for pain.
Most nights I get by, just waking when I move or don't move as the case might be.
Even sleeping on the other side does not help with the pain, so I might give this a try.

Same here, I have hip pain from osteoporosis and “had” a hard time sleeping.
We were way overdue for a new bed, so purchased a Tempurpedic.  Much more comfy, but still couldn’t lay on my side for very long.  

Then, I purchased a 4 inch mattress topper.  That made a world of difference.  I also started to use (per doctor’s instruction) a small bolster type pillow between the knees and thigh area.  This relieves pressure on the hips.  Now I can sleep!  

Bottom line...I could have just bought the mattress topper and bolster pillow and saved a ton of money.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I second the use of a pillow to keep legs and back aligned. It can be cheap! Mine was $2.50. Plus $1.37 for the pillowcase.

It goes under the knees while on the back, between the thighs/knees while side sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.