Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bad hour every night, should I change pressure range?
Bad hour every night, should I change pressure range?
Seems like every night around 4:30a-5:30a I'll have a series of OA events. Night before last was a great example, see attached screenshots.

Pressure is currently set at 8-14, which seems to have been high enough (pressure didn't quite reach 14 even at the height of it). My fiance says I mouth-breathe sometimes, but the leak rate doesn't seem to be showing that -- it varies with the pressure as I'd expect it to. I do wonder why pressure came down while OAs were still going on. Makes me wonder if they're really being handled properly.

Any thoughts? Should I change my pressure range?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bad hour every night, should I change pressure range?
(02-25-2016, 12:09 PM)Winterfrost Wrote: Seems like every night around 4:30a-5:30a I'll have a series of OA events. Night before last was a great example, see attached screenshots.

Pressure is currently set at 8-14, which seems to have been high enough (pressure didn't quite reach 14 even at the height of it). My fiance says I mouth-breathe sometimes, but the leak rate doesn't seem to be showing that -- it varies with the pressure as I'd expect it to. I do wonder why pressure came down while OAs were still going on. Makes me wonder if they're really being handled properly.

I am no expert but considering that your 95% pressure is over 12 I would be inclined to raise my strating pressure upwards from 8 to something higher to hopefully prevent some of the events.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pretty sure you will get some good feedback on something to do. Those snores should not be happening IMHO. I would tend to agree that you low side pressure might be too low, will let others chime in about that. During 4:20 -5:20 the machine is working hard to stop the burst of OA's and eventually does, but it would seem like you could have better settings.

Again there are others around here that will be able to give you some great suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
With a 95% reading of over 12, your min. pressure of 8 is too low too tackle the hypopneas, Obstructives, and snores.

Raise it to 9.5 or 10 and leave your max pressure alone for now.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks much! I will try that starting tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Machine is responding as designed.
Your min is to low. From the looks of it it should be set at around 10 to 10.5.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree the minimum pressure should be raised. You are having quite a bit of flow limitation and hypopnea throughout the night that should be improved with higher minimum pressure. I also wouldn't be surprised if this is related to sleeping on your back. Positional apnea often presents as clusters like this.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2016, 12:09 PM)Winterfrost Wrote: Seems like every night around 4:30a-5:30a I'll have a series of OA events. Night before last was a great example, see attached screenshots.

Your pressure setting & range would seem to be ideal, given the evidence provided by your data.
It's common for sleepers to change their sleeping position around 3:30 to 4:30am & later. By this time bones & joints are telling the brain to move. Most sleepers roll onto their back (supine) & then problems begin to occur.
Also you have significant leak rates which too is common for patients using the nasal route. Speaking from experience I can tell you that therapy air escaping orally defeats your treatment & is not easily remedied. There are quite a number of suggestions on this forum to fix this, but IMHO they don't work. I taped my mouth for six years before changing to an F&P Simplus FFM. Taping works best, but the FFM is a more acceptable approach for most patients.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
UPDATE: Last night I changed the min pressure to 10 per advice here, and what a difference! AHI last night was .54, with 1 very brief CA and 2 very brief OAs (spaced far apart). Just a few snores and if I recall correctly, no hypopneas at all! Even the leak rate seemed better - it may have been a hair higher (as you'd expect with higher pressure) but was much more level. Breathing was nice and even all night. Hurray! Big Grin

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2016, 01:55 PM)Winterfrost Wrote: UPDATE: Last night I changed the min pressure to 10 per advice here, and what a difference! AHI last night was .54, with 1 very brief CA and 2 very brief OAs (spaced far apart). Just a few snores and if I recall correctly, no hypopneas at all! Even the leak rate seemed better - it may have been a hair higher (as you'd expect with higher pressure) but was much more level. Breathing was nice and even all night. Hurray! Big Grin

Thanks

Winterfrost
Happy that the pressure change made a difference. Keep watch on your 95% number, and try to keep your start pressure 1 to 2cm below it.

Just so you know that the 95% number doesn't mean you were at that pressure all night, but that you were at that pressure (and under) for 95% of the night.

Also, if your pressure starts to stay at max setting, let us know so we can help advise. It's all a learning process. You'll get there! Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 44 Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,455 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,717 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,433 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 324 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.