Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bad night - AHI 13.70
Bad night - AHI 13.70
I've been battling a bad cold for a couple of weeks now and it has raised my average AHI from around 3 to around 6, but last night was a whopping 13.7, the highest yet. I had gotten some advice here when this started and consequently raised the CPAP pressure from my regular 7 to 8, to help combat the stuffiness. My plan is to set it back to APAP for another 3 nights to allow for increased pressure as needed, probably set it from 7-13? (This is when I hate not having a full APAP).
When I looked at the chart from last night, I noticed the sudden increase in events, starting around 4:30am. I had taken some NyQyill before bed and perhaps the meds were wearing off around that time? Any other thoughts or advice? I should probably see a doc as my tonsils and glands are swollen and nose badly plugged and it doesn't seem to get any better. With the machine I'm able to breathe at night though.

[IMG][Image: kD3g3Eml.png][/IMG]

Posting picture, Take 2. Does it work?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bad night - AHI 13.70
Do you wear a chin strap? Just curious if your stuffiness is causing your mouth to open and with a fixed pressure there isn't any way for the machine to adjust for this. I tend to have a slightly stuffy nose every night and use Xlear saline spray while getting ready for bed, helps a lot.

Hang in there. In life all things will pass, even colds. Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Ray, it is very possible that mouth breathing adds to the problem, but things are looking up. I ran the machine in APAP last night with a pressure from 7-13 and had an AHI of 5. Never thought I'd be glad to see that number, haha. Went to see the doctor this morning and apparently I have tonsillitis, which explains a lot. Antibiotics should kick in rather fast, plus I got a new mask today, Simplus FFM, will try it out tonight. All is going to be well. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2017, 09:40 PM)Russatrice Wrote: Any other thoughts or advice? I should probably see a doc as my tonsils and glands are swollen and nose badly plugged and it doesn't seem to get any better. With the machine I'm able to breathe at night though.

Might I suggest that you may be well-served to speak with your physician sooner rather than later and do not forget to tell him about your episodes of periodic breathing which can be suggestive of fluid backing up into the lungs.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and a more restful tomorrow.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Russatrice,
It's good to hear that you went to see your doc and I hope you get to feeling better, soon.
I hope you like the F&P Simplus, I sure do like mine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 841 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 885 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,102 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,336 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,208 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,242 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383
Question One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI. MyronH 7 2,196 09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.