Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bad results to Good by changing settings
Bad results to Good by changing settings
Not a question, more a very heartfelt thank you to the people on this forum. Also, maybe this will help someone else.

I have severe apnea (~40 AHI untreated). I didn't get much better than 20 on APAP, until I changed several settings with help from this forum.

In short, my treatment wasn't working because (1) the settings on my APAP were too wide (4-20), and (2) this caused the APAP to run very high so I kept losing the seal and couldn't tolerate the exhalation pressure. EPR was set on 1. With the settings on 4-20, my 95% was around 18, which I couldn't tolerate.

Based on suggestions I read on this forum, I reduced the range (8-16) and set the EPR to 3. Now my AHI is under 5, and my 95% is around 12. For whatever reason, having the range set from 4-20 prevented the machine from working correctly at all, but it works fine on the narrow range, and I can exhale with the EPR setting raised.

Can't thank you all enough. It's been a long, tiring road.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bad results to Good by changing settings
A lot of doctors and therapists send the machine home set at 4-20, and leave you on your own. I think they either don't understand or are playing safe.

I was sent home with the same settings. Sad

This is what happens. In your case, the APAP starts out at 4, but it takes too long for it to respond to apnea events. Eventually it gets there, but by the time it does, a lot of events will not have been averted, resulting in a higher AHI.

Also, the APAP responds to snores and flow limitations, and will raise the pressure in response. I know in my case, my APAP would sometimes go to my max setting with no apnea events. The change in pressure was very disruptive.

The best thing you can do now is watch your 95% numbers and your medium pressure number, from there the best starting point would be around the Medium number or 2 to 3cm below the 95% number. That gives you a pretty good idea where to start. Only raise your max pressure if you see your numbers staying up that high for a good part of the night.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi myapneas,
It’s great to hear that you got your machine set so that it will work well for you, now onwerd to better sleep.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
That's great to hear that you got it figured out Well-done your on your way to being an old Pro at cpap. Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep arturg 4 137 40 minutes ago
Last Post: arturg
  Oscar CPAP Optimization Results-Awesome!? SeePak 18 350 7 hours ago
Last Post: SeePak
  [Treatment] Help with interpreting OSCAR results 6bez8dF5lf 7 184 Yesterday, 10:13 AM
Last Post: 6bez8dF5lf
  Test results Kmzizzle 18 1,521 04-12-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Symptoms] Good until 3am, then awake sadness AvocadoSniffer 2 133 04-12-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: AvocadoSniffer
  [Treatment] New to CPAP but keen to learn - Please could you help with results and Q's? JustinWoods 19 1,948 04-10-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Help interpreting my results (and hello!) mluck94 4 144 04-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: mluck94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.