Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bad sleep study experience
RE: Bad sleep study experience
(04-24-2017, 04:24 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Looks like you were tolerant of the sleep study.  You did not have a titration where you tried CPAP pressure.  You have central apnea, and CPAP is very unlikely to improve your situation.  For that reason, I think you should do a clinical titration study, and be aware that with CPAP those hypopnea events will likely turn into full-on centrals.  

In my opinion, you are at very high risk of failing CPAP and requiring a bilevel ASV.  So disregard my previous comment that it might be good to just go with an auto CPAP and self-titrate.  Verify that the sleep clinic is prepared to progress through CPAP and BiPAP titrations and try ASV.  You need to know what machine is going to work, not just that CPAP failed.  The same test machine is used for all of these evaluations, so make sure the sleep clinic is prepared to go all the way so you don't repeat at additional cost.

What makes you say that hypopnea with CPAP will get me into full-on centrals?? Is it possible that this is the reason behind scoring  7 with my partner's machine and he only get's 0.5 ??? 

Thanks for your help!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
It has been my anecdotal, non-scientific experience, over dozens of cases presented on the forum that a majority of individuals with centrals and many hypopnea during a sleep study will end up with intractable central apnea in excess of 10 events per hour when treated with CPAP, with some at near 40 AHI. This could explain your 7 events, and if you had looked at the data of those events, I would not bet against them being central.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
After my last sleep study, they gave me a coupon for the Carl's Jr across the street for a free breakfast biscuit with the purchase of a cup of coffee or orange juice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2017, 12:30 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: After my last sleep study, they gave me a coupon for the Carl's Jr across the street for a free breakfast biscuit with the purchase of a cup of coffee or orange juice.

WOW What a treat Eat-popcorn  I had to ask for water... Food? Forget about itSmile
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2017, 12:30 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: After my last sleep study, they gave me a coupon for the Carl's Jr across the street for a free breakfast biscuit with the purchase of a cup of coffee or orange juice.

Are you sure that they were not trying to kill you with coronary artery disease?
Post Reply Post Reply
My first sleep study was awful. I only manage about two hours of sleep and though my doctor diagnosed me with Sleep Apnea, I did not have enough events for insurance to pay for my device.

I ended up buying one off Craigslist and gave up shortly thereafter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome I had a terrible sleep study twice couldn't sleep up and down all night and the tech told me that they had all the information they needed in the time I actually was asleep and entered REM.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently went for my 2nd sleep study. My first sleep study was done over a year ago; didn't go as planned as the company that did my study lost my results but wouldn't fess up, they just kept re-scheduling my follow up appointment for months apart telling me either the doctor was sick or out of the country. So my family doctor re-booked me to have another test done elsewhere. I went to the Hospitals sleep lab and did 2 tests, first one to see how I slept off of a machine, the second to see how I slept on the machine. The first night I slept ok; the followup, not so much. 

They put me in a room that had some kind of smoke stack out my window that just kept on puffing every second or so, all night long. I complained about it but the lab tech said that there where no other rooms to move me to. Needless to say I didn't sleep well on the night they hooked me up. I think it took me until 3am to finally fall asleep, after taking a sleep aid.  I have a small video that gives you an idea on what I mean about the smoke stack.

youtu.be/_9O4YPlZuT0

I was prescribed a cpap machine, which I knew I needed. Not a nice experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2017, 01:26 PM)TASmart Wrote:

Are you sure that they were not trying to kill you with coronary artery disease?

Not really, besides, it was for only one. Caffeine in the coffee takes care of the cholesterol.  Too-funny Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey guys,

I finally spoke with my doctor and he suggested another study with the CPAP machine (first without). I told him that I would prefer to have an option of trying ASV as well if that will be necessary. He was surprised with my request and not exactly sure how I end up with that idea. He also suggested that insurance company may not agree on me trying that. Which is confusing because my deductible is high and I will have to pay for that test anyway. He also was not impressed with central apnea episodes. He said that my problem is most likely obstructive apnea... ( no events at the first study) and also number of hypopneas = low oxygen levels. At this point I'm not sure what I will do and if I will have another study. Any suggestions??
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions on sleep study nikkib9899 0 50 Yesterday, 01:18 PM
Last Post: nikkib9899
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 0 52 03-17-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 114 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 57 5,615 03-07-2024, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] Sleep Study and no solution? CChelios445 3 223 03-03-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 181 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  AHI Discrepancy w/ AirSense 10 AS and WatchPat Sleep Study TheProphetofLies 6 326 02-26-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.