Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Banished!
Banished!
A number of months ago I was banished from the bedroom because of my snoring. Actually, it was a "you or I" thing, so I volunteered to leave. Sort of. I'm not sure my snoring was all that bad? There was the time the Coast Guard called to complain that I was setting off the off-shore Tsunami sensors, but hey, that could happen anytime.

Anyhow that started me on this path that has resulted in my sleep-study, and new cpap machine. Now I don't snore. That's a good thing.

Yet I find I rather enjoy the freedom of being banished to another room, and I suspect my wife does as well. So although we "talk" about me moving back into the bedroom, neither of us seems to be in any hurry to do that. We can find time for frolicking if we wish, but when it comes to night-night time, we go to our respective corners.

Is that strange? Has this happened to anyone else? Am I forever destined to be a "couch potato?" If so, I really think I'll buy a new couch.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Banished!
Frankly people sleep better separately -- or, at least in my opinion.
With all the CPAP appliances perhaps it's best to have one's own sleeping area.
I also use an oxygen concentrator to augment my CPAP air stream; and it's noisy.

The one error I deliberately make in my sleep environment is to include what is basically my office in the room.
Occasionally, I await incoming information from 9 to 15 time zones ahead.

Whatever works best for your particular situation is the way to go.
(I hope you are not literally sleeping on a couch -- you should have your own room and a comfortable bed.)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2014, 03:31 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Is that strange? Has this happened to anyone else?
No and yes, I like it this way
There is a place and time for everything but as the bedside light goes off, CPAP lights goes on
Not selfish at all, the better sleep I get, the better I can look after her

Post Reply Post Reply
My husband moved out. He bought a new couch ... well actually a whole new living room suite and he completely left me out of helping shop. I had wanted a new set for a long time and dreaming of us picking out a new set together. He just went and bought a set one day when I wasn't home. He had this argument that if he slept out there it was going to be what was good for him. Turned out to be not so comfortable. Then he bought a roll-away bed for the living room. Didn't like that either. I pulled out a huge thick down mattress pad for him to use but he still didn't like it much. He said he felt like he was homeless not having a bed. Our daughter went off to college for the semester and he used her bed. It was an option but still not great. He couldn't wait for me to get the CPAP. I was quiet instantly and he moved back that night. I, on the other hand, had become accustomed to having the whole bed to myself. When I began the CPAP, it was hard for me to get used to the crowded feeling and the machine too. He thought it would be an immediate thing for me to adjust to CPAP. He had to leave the room after I would lay there awake for hours. I am still working and he is retired. He could take naps to catch up during the day ... and has always loved his naps, so not a big deal there. Now he is back full-time and all is fine. It just took a few weeks to get used to.
Post Reply Post Reply
I forget which famous actress said it, but when asked about what she thought was the secret to long term marital bliss, she replied: "separate bedrooms". Don't worry about it, enjoy. My missus still takes off to the couch when I come to bed*, and we both get a good night's sleep, and I manage to still have blankets covering me when I wake up in the morning, something not guaranteed when the Boss shares the bed all night.

*although it is a very quiet machine and I never hear it, the rush of the air through the tubing bothers her.
Post Reply Post Reply
We recently got a Tempur Pedic mattress which we love. I roll around at night and my mate of 38 years is very sensitive to that. Although that type of mattress doesn't transmit movement much we got a "split king" which is two extra long twins side by side with common sheets and blankets. Cost a little more but well worth it IMO. Like sleeping separately together.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife often moves to the other bedroom so I can sleep. She has back issues and the pain that goes along with it. We usually start out in the same bed, but she will often change rooms during the night. And it is not because of me. Hang in there, you are not the only one.
Only problem is, sometimes when she changes rooms, the gets try to wake me up thinking I am her. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everybody. Actually, I have a really cool couch that is way comfortable to sleep on, so that's a good thing. The not so good thing is it is getting really really old. The other not so good thing is the fricken cats think it's their couch. Last night around midnight I got up to make an adjustment or two, and when I went back one of the cats had peed on my couch. So, back to the recliner chair for another night. I'm thinking of ordering a futon couch/bed and put a sign on it saying "no cats."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2014, 03:31 PM)retired_guy Wrote: So although we "talk" about me moving back into the bedroom, neither of us seems to be in any hurry to do that. We can find time for frolicking if we wish, but when it comes to night-night time, we go to our respective corners.

Is that strange? Has this happened to anyone else?

I've done work for people in their houses, and seen couples with separate bedrooms. They are perfectly happy, so no, it's not strange.

It might be more common than we think because couples who do it probably tend to not discuss with others.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi retired_guy,
I don't think it's strange, you have to do what works best for you.
Oh &, WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.