Poll: Banning cigarette sales to anyone born after 2000?
Excellent
OK
Wrong
Don't know
[Show Results]

Banning cigarette sales to anyone born after 2000?
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

Banning cigarette sales to anyone born after 2000?
Bid to ban cigarettes for anyone born after 2000
SMH - August 22, 2012
How do you rate the idea of banning cigarette sales to anyone born after 2000?
http://www.smh.com.au/national/bid-to-ba...24liy.html
08-26-2012 05:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

RE: Banning cigarette sales to anyone born after 2000?
Wasn't quite sure if this meant banning cigarette sales to minors (in other words, those 12 years old and younger, born after the year 2000) or to ban cigarettes permanently (for life) to those born after 2000...

According to this proposal, it means the second option... essentially making anyone born after 2000 unable to purchase cigarettes FOR LIFE, no matter how old they become.

I have two thoughts on this:

1. I generally think smoking cigarettes is a very bad idea for one's health and if asked, I would recommend folks don't do it. I also don't like second-hand smoke when I'm "out and about".

That said, I'm sick and tired of the "Nanny State" telling me (an adult over the age of 18) how to run my own life and if someday I want to ruin my health my taking up smoking cancer sticks, WELL THEN, that's MY BUSINESS, not the government's. As long as I'm not harming others by smoking in a confined public place where second hand smoke will definitely negatively affect others, I should be able to do WHATEVER I darn well please, including smoking cigarettes. I also believe that private businesses and private residences should have the right to ban smoking in their facilities, because they OWN that property and their property rights trump someone's desire to smoke in their facility.

Yeah, I'm sort of libertarian in my views. Less government is nearly always better. "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have. " - Thomas Jefferson

"The greatest tyrannies are always perpetuated in the name of the noblest causes." - Thomas Paine

Next think you know, they'll start laws restricting what I can eat... oh wait... they've already done that. sorry.

Oh-jeez

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

08-26-2012 06:29 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

If cigarette smoking was only dangerous to the smoker, to 'ell with them. Let them kill themselves. Just like alcohol.

But cigarette smoking directly affects everyone around the smoker. Alcohol only affects if it is a drunk driver or a drunk who neglects his/her family.

That said, I'm with SS in that the govmint needs to be less controlling. Get out of my bedroom. Get out of my computer (search engine tracking). Get out of my cell phone ("legal" data collection). Get back to the govmint headquarters and do your job.

I recently decided common sense is a dying Human trait. Not that we are becoming stupid, but that we don't have to use it any more. Mistakes on our part are cured through lawsuits. Yes, it is stupid to put a cup of coffee between your legs. But she was rewarded for her lack of common sense by the court system. But the reason I recently decided this is because of a new riding mower I got earlier this summer. I got a Cub Cadet and I love it. Yet, there's a safety feature that irritates the crap out of me: I cannot mow while in reverse. Why? Because idiots have apparently run over their kids while mowing backwards. And instead of punishing them for having no common sense (and allowing the gene pool to clean itself), they are putting limitations on the mowers.

There's ways around it, of course. I can put the key into a different position and push a button then I can mow backwards. Or I can disengage the blades, back up, re-engage the blades, and mow forward. Or I can get down on the ground and figure out where that limiter switch is and bypass it. (which is what I will be doing this week).

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-26-2012 08:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
jdireton Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed S9 Elite
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12

Other Comments: ClimateLine Hose

Didn't we already try this with alcohol? And that worked out so well.

I can just see the future, spending 100's of millions of dollars to combat the mexican tobacco cartels and the spending $40,000 a year per person to incarcerate the offenders in overcrowded jails.

Just MHO.
08-27-2012 08:11 AM
mjbearit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS550
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: RESMed Swift FX
Humidifier: Heated humidifier - 2
CPAP Pressure: 12.5-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

I'm split on this one. First off, in the US, I oppose any attempt of the government to limit the sales of cigarettes as long as they are subsidizing tobacco crops! Talk about stupid! If you want to get rid of cigarettes, quit paying someone to grow it! It will, by natural course die out for economic reasons! But they don't want to do that because they make far more off the taxes they impose on cigarettes than they spend subsidizing their creation! I have to disagree with Paula, in that alcohol would be harmless to other people except that these morons get all liquored up and then get behind the wheel! I smoked for a number of years and I am still not opposed to cigarettes, per se. The one thing I hate is that fake coughing thing non-smokers do if they even catch a whiff of a cig! Please, out in the open you suck down more carcinogens from that semi or those three cars that just went by than that guy you passed who was smoking! I don't know. They are bad for you, there is no denying that, but I agree with SS and Paula! Enough government already!

As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
08-27-2012 08:14 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Actually, much of the tobacco subsidizing outgo has dropped. At least here. I have not seen a single field of tobacco in several years. They used to be everywhere, little patches wherever they could fit a row or two in.

What happened is the crop insurance companies would only cover tobacco. Farmers hate to grow it (it is really bad for the soil) and they wanted to start growing other crops like tomatoes and beans. But they had to plant enough tobacco so that if it was a bad year, they got some money for their efforts. The insurance companies must have expanded to cover other crops because in just two years, maybe three, all the tobacco fields were replaced with corn, tomatoes, beans, etc. (tomatoes is a huge cash crop here). When I drive up Nawth through Virginia, I don't see any tobacco fields there, either. Now it is mostly soybeans. I've heard its the same in Tennessee.

The family tobacco farms rarely made money. It was a 9 month or more work, lots of money out, very little in.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

08-27-2012 03:17 PM
cbramsey Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 6 - 12

Other Comments: Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

I saw some small fields of tobacco while I was living in Wilmington.

08-28-2012 06:17 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

There's not even a tobacco warehouse around here anymore.

How long ago were you in Wilmington? I assume you mean NC.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

08-28-2012 06:53 PM
cbramsey Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 6 - 12

Other Comments: Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

My wife and I actually lived in Leland, NC which is just outside of Wilmington. I was 5 minutes from the USS North Carolina (depending on traffic and whether or not the draw bridges were raised).

Lived there for a little over 2 years (mid-2007 until August 2009). The fields I saw were in Pender County which is north of New Hanover County.

08-28-2012 08:23 PM

Donate to Apnea Board