Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Barely Slept at Sleep Study
Barely Slept at Sleep Study
I just finished my sleep study and I hardly slept at all. Even the sleep technician said that I barely slept. I don't sleep well when I'm not in my own bed.

I don't believe that I slept long enough to detect any apnea and I'm pretty upset about it. I see the Dr. in a couple of weeks and I'm worried that he won't prescribe a CPAP.

Is there anyway to rent a CPAP? I really want to try it to see if it will improve my quality of life.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Barely Slept at Sleep Study
Not uncommon not sleep so good during the sleep study, but might just enough for the diagnoses
Wait until seeing the doctor, if they couldn't make the diagnoses, you can ask for a home sleep study
Post Reply Post Reply
Your story is not unusual. I only slept about 2 hours when I had my sleep study done.

Did the technician say you need to go back for a titration? I would call the technician today and question whether you slept long enough for them to determine if your have sleep apnea.

I'm sure it's different in Canada, but here in the states, whether you buy, rent, and/or have insurance coverage, you will need a script from your doctor for the pap machine.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
linn it was the same for me. Barely slept the first sleep study. Was sure when I went for my follow up appt with the sleep doc he was going to say I didn't have sleep apnea. But not so. You might be surprised!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm surprised that the tech doesn't give you some indication. When I had my study done they told me straight away that I had an AHI of 62 and gave me an S9 Autoset right then to tide me over until I had the follow up appointment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any doctor who sends a patient to a sleep study without a sleep aid to take in case they can't sleep should be flogged. Yes, you'd rather have data without a sleep aid, but without the sleep aid, a patient who really needs CPAP may go untreated because the insurance company probably won't pay for a repeat of the botched sleep test.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback everyone - I wish I had been given a sleep aid.

I asked the man if they detected any apnea and he said that they weren't allowed to say.

I had a sleep study done about 7 years ago and they said that I had mild sleep apnea. Hopefully, that will be enough for the doctor to prescribe a CPAP. Otherwise, I may have to buy a used one off of the Internet.

I can't handle feeling dizzy and hungover everyday - I'm going downhill fast. Something is really wrong with me and it is directly related to my sleep.

Feeling scared Sad

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2015, 09:44 AM)linn Wrote: Thanks for the feedback everyone - I wish I had been given a sleep aid.

I asked the man if they detected any apnea and he said that they weren't allowed to say.

I had a sleep study done about 7 years ago and they said that I had mild sleep apnea. Hopefully, that will be enough for the doctor to prescribe a CPAP. Otherwise, I may have to buy a used one off of the Internet.

I can't handle feeling dizzy and hungover everyday - I'm going downhill fast. Something is really wrong with me and it is directly related to my sleep.

Feeling scared Sad

Hi linn...
I am sorry you are scared, it is a difficult situation with the sleep docs/technician/ sleep study situation. I assume you are in Ontario, in some ways they make it harder there to get information, do you have a GP you can go and talk with re your symptoms?

As I discovered almost too late, there are at least two types of sleep docs: CPAP docs who are only interested in CPAP, and actual Sleep Doctors who will do a complete study of your sleep issues.

I hope you get some comfort from this board, and that you may get medical comfort soon from your doc..

Storywizard

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2015, 10:12 AM)storywizard Wrote:
(10-06-2015, 09:44 AM)linn Wrote: Thanks for the feedback everyone - I wish I had been given a sleep aid.

Feeling scared Sad

Hi linn...
I am sorry you are scared, it is a difficult situation with the sleep docs/technician/ sleep study situation. I assume you are in Ontario, in some ways they make it harder there to get information, do you have a GP you can go and talk with re your symptoms?

As I discovered almost too late, there are at least two types of sleep docs: CPAP docs who are only interested in CPAP, and actual Sleep Doctors who will do a complete study of your sleep issues.

I hope you get some comfort from this board, and that you may get medical comfort soon from your doc..

Storywizard

Thanks for the kind words Smile Yes, I am in Ontario...
I just phoned the sleep lab and spoke to a very nice woman. She said that I did sleep a bit last night and that she would send the Dr. my sleep lab results from 7 years ago. (as well as last night)

My appointment is on the 23rd - Hopefully, he will prescribe the CPAP. All I can do is wait Sad

I do have a diagnoses of mild sleep apnea from 7 years ago - so hopefully that will be enough.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi linn,

Sorry to hear you had trouble sleeping and wish you the best of luck on your results.

Thank you for sharing, I was worrying about being able to sleep (I rarely go to bed before 1am), in case the doc wants me to go for another sleep study. Reading the responses to your post convinced me I really need to insist the doc prescribe a sleep aid if I get scheduled.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 237 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 146 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 65 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.